Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:00:54 AM
714311 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Quiet Riot singer dies at 52 « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Quiet Riot singer dies at 52  (Read 6420 times)
Torgo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: November 26, 2007, 09:18:28 PM »

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Music/11/26/obit.dubrow/index.html

Man, that sucks.  Quiet Riot was my favorite band in 1983 when I was 8 years old.  I got to meet Kevin Dubrow in person back in the late 90's when QR played in a little club in the town that I live. I got to help them carry stuff up the steps as there wasn't an elevator at the Top Floor club and they couldn't find a few of their roadies. 

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
RapscallionJones
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Grim & Frostbitten

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 11:15:30 AM »

Have they released the cause of death yet?  I remember seeing him on VH1 a couple of years ago and he was very clearly wearing a long-hair wig.  After hearing this news, I suspected that he may have had cancer or something.  He didn't look well in those old interviews.

Visit the b-movie blog
http://www.cinema-suicide.com
The required Myspace profile
http://www.myspace.com/cinemasuicide
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 03:42:08 PM »

Sad news. Always depressing when the stars of my youth drop dead. I still maintain that Cum on Feel the Noize is one of the top candidates for the greatest heavy metal song of the era. Powerful, catchy tune, not-too-subtly suggestive lyrics, on-key screaming and most important of all, it was pure fun, good for partying, driving fast, working out or whatever. They don't make songs like that anymore.

Now, the people who made the songs are going. Granted, rock stars do die. But there is a difference between being suddenly killed by an excessive lifestyle and simply having it catch up to them as they age. It's a reminder that none of us are getting any younger.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Torgo

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 04:02:45 PM »

Have they released the cause of death yet?  I remember seeing him on VH1 a couple of years ago and he was very clearly wearing a long-hair wig.  After hearing this news, I suspected that he may have had cancer or something.  He didn't look well in those old interviews.

They have only said that it appears that he collapsed in his house but I've since heard that they somehow botched the initial autopsy so a cause of death is still not known.

Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 11:44:11 PM »

They were the headliners at the annual Fourth of July celebration on the river either this year or last year. By all accounts they still rocked.

Sad news for his friends, family, and fans. He burned a lot of bridges in his prime, but seemed to have developed a sense of humor and persepctive about himself in more recent years. Just my casual observation from seeing him on TV and hearing that ESPN radio commecial the band did a while back.

I figured the wig was mostly for the act/stage persona. Seeing their old videos, Dubrow was probably losing his hair in the band's prime from looking at his hairline.

I liked some of their stuff, I'll take their versions of the Slade songs over the originals any day. Besides they get cool points for being name checked by Ben Folds:

I'm rockin' the suburbs
Just like Quiet Riot did
'Cept that they were talented

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 12:02:27 AM »

Quiet Riot was my favorite band in 1983 when I was 8 years old.

J.H.C. I'm getting old.

Torgo

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 09:37:57 PM »

Quiet Riot was my favorite band in 1983 when I was 8 years old.

J.H.C. I'm getting old.

Heck, I feel that way and I'm just turning 33 next year. Darn whipper snappers!

Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2007, 10:46:59 PM »

I remember when MTV first began making a big deal out of world preimere videos, playing them at the top of the hour every hour. Quiet Riot's video for "Mama We're All Krazy Now" (not looking up the proper Slade-ish spelling right now) was one they hyped the hell out of.

I'm a little older than Torgo, so I was the perfect age to get MTV for the first time right about the age I was getting into music myself rather than just taking in what people older than me listened to. For about a year and a half, Quiet Riot was all over that channel.

Fixed spelling.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 11:31:10 PM by Yaddo 42 » Logged

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2007, 11:01:01 PM »

I still have a MTV t-shirt they sent out to people when they first hit the air waves way back in 1981. I was the tender age of 18 when it first aired.

raj

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2007, 03:06:47 PM »

Well it appears now to have been an accidental cocaine overdose.  Sad.

(I don't have a short URL to point to.)
Torgo

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2007, 10:50:19 PM »

I figured that it was probably some kind of accidental drug overdose.  What a waste..............

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2007, 05:37:26 PM »

Disgusting and sad; you're right Torgo, what a waste. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Quiet Riot singer dies at 52 « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.