Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:28:50 PM
713364 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Deleted scenes that shouldn't have been! « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Deleted scenes that shouldn't have been!  (Read 11812 times)
Kooshmeister
The King of Koosh!
Bad Movie Lover

Must have caffeine...

« on: November 27, 2007, 08:37:44 AM »

Mentioning the deleted lab scene from the beginning of The Mist got me to thinking about other scenes in films, good and bad alike, that were deleted when in hindsight it seems like they shouldn't have, and boy can I think of a couple....

For example, two scenes from Jaws 2, the "middle child" of the Jaws series. The first is the scene where the town leaders vote to fire Chief Brody and promote Deputy Hendricks to be the new chief of police, and, shockingly, only Mayor Vaughn votes against it. This scene, were it included in the final cut, would've redeemed the Vaughn character, so often thought of as a slimey little weasel; to see him be the only one to support Brody was such a wonderful little character moment.

The second scene is the continuation of the (somewhat) infamous scene where the shark grabs a helicopter by the runner and pulls it underwater. We never do find out what happened to the pilot in the theatrical cut, and are left to assume he drowns, although there's a deleted scene set underwater where we see him trying to get out of the sinking helicopter, only to get attacked by the shark which proceeds to batter the submerged aircraft almost to pieces in a scene that fondly recalls Hooper in the shark cage in the first film. More than the "Mayor Vaughn supports Brody" scene, this underwater attack on the helicopter should not have been deleted.

Can anyone else think of any other deleted scenes that should've remained in the final cut of their respective films? Keep in mind that this is all a matter of personal opinion (I'm well aware that a lot of people do not actually share my sentiments about either the Mayor Vaughn scene or the underwater helicopter scene from Jaws 2, for example).
nshumate
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 11:15:07 AM »

There is a glaring one in X-Men (which I think they fixed in the X-Men 1.5 cut), where Storm is teaching a history class and explains how Constantine (?) forcibly had all of his generals baptized as Christians to stem the persecution of Christians.  That context would have made Magneto's plan seem MUCH less kooky.

Nathan Shumate
Cold Fusion Video Reviews
Sci-fi, Horror, and General Whoopass
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 01:15:34 PM »

One of those Sleepaway Camp movies.  I think it was the third one.  They deleted most of the gorey stuff, and include it in the special features.  And there's a lot of it.  That movie would have been improved dramatically by leaving that stuff in, or at least putting it back in on the freakin' DVD.  It really took the black comedy stuff over the top and the movie really needed that.  Editing it out made the whole thing feel very chopped up too of course.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

It's neVer over!

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 06:04:57 PM »

DR. STRANGELOVE ALTERNATE ENDING. I refuse to call this the best black comedy ever, or even acknowledge it as a good film until those stuckup Kubrick-fanatics release this! TeddyR It was apparently brilliant, aside from the fact that the extras didn't take it seriously enough.

It had some utterly childish politicians, their countries about to be annihilated, choosing instead of attempting to save the Earth to fight until the end... with pies! In the end, only Strangelove is clearheaded enough to come up with any sort of solution, which is, of course, 10 girls for every boy TeddyR. Screw "sticking to verbal satire", slapstick can be satire too!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 06:07:33 PM by Mr. Briggs Inc. » Logged

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverspherechannel
For the latest on the fifth installment in Don Coscarelli's Phantasm saga.
nada
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 07:01:27 PM »

Titan A.E. would have been a good movie if they had included the DVD's deleted scenes.

I really hate those rereleases that were popular a few years ago though. Pointless 3 second deleted scenes do not make a "special edition".
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 01:41:54 AM »

Sometime last year, I bought a copy of Fellini's Casanova from xploitedcinema.com

Now, when I was a kid, I was going through my Dad's Playboys one day, when I came across an article about this movie in the December 1976 issue, complete with pictures, so I think it's safe to say I've been waiting for this my whole life.

However, upon watching the DVD, I found that all of the dirty stuff depicted in the 12/76 article had either been toned down or completely removed, including a scene in which Casanova has a homosexual encounter, and all of Chesty Morgan's scenes. There was almost no nudity, aside from a few bare butts.

What gets me, is that this wasn't one of those kinds of DVDs you find at the doller store, but rather, a very nice digitally remastered two-disk set with language options, an interview with Donald Sutherland, photo gallery & a documentary about Fellini.
You'd think that with all the effort they put into this DVD, that they could've included a deleted scenes menu, but they didn't. GRRRR

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
Neville

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2007, 06:37:12 AM »

I really enjoyed Stallone's only fooray into the horror genre, "Eye see you". However the film just runs too fast, we barely get to know most of the characters, and some of them are played by big names. The deleted scenes in the DVD weren't that great, but it would have helped the film to have them included, if only for the change of pace and character development.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Inyarear
Bad Movie Lover

Slimo! Slimo! Slimo!

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2007, 12:54:40 AM »

I think Back To The Future should have kept in the one scene in which Marty discusses his misgivings about going on a date with his own mother and what this might do to him:

Marty: I just don't know if I can go through with it, hitting on her.

Doc: Nobody said anything about hitting her, you're just going to take a few liberties with her.

Marty: See, that's what I mean; I can't believe I'm actually going to feel up my own mother. You know this is the kind of thing that could screw me up permanently. What if I go back to the future and I end up being... gay?

Doc: Why shouldn't you be happy?
Ometiklan
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2007, 07:52:07 PM »

I would love to have seen the alternate ending to Forbidden Planet.
I have the Special Edition DVD released last year.
It has alot of Deleted scenes on it but not the alternate ending.

And when he shall die
Take him and cut him into little stars,
And he will make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night,
And pay no worship to the garish sun.
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2007, 12:14:34 AM »

There's a deleted scene in Godzilla Final Wars that I wish would have stayed in.  Basically, after Godzilla defeats Anguirus, King Caesar, and Rodan he nukes them into oblivion.  However, one of the oldies at Toho said that they shouldn't just kill off classic monsters like that, and the scene was dropped.  Many people think it shouldn't have been included, and agree with the man who had it cut, but I think it would have really stated FW Godzilla's power prior to the final battle.
akiratubo

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2007, 06:59:14 PM »

There's a deleted scene in Godzilla Final Wars that I wish would have stayed in.  Basically, after Godzilla defeats Anguirus, King Caesar, and Rodan he nukes them into oblivion.  However, one of the oldies at Toho said that they shouldn't just kill off classic monsters like that, and the scene was dropped.  Many people think it shouldn't have been included, and agree with the man who had it cut, but I think it would have really stated FW Godzilla's power prior to the final battle.

They were his buddies in previous films, so I'm glad he just beat them senseless instead of killing them.  It makes sense.

Most of the deleted scenes in Aliens shouldn't have been deleted.  The three-hour version is all over the place nowadays, though.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
RapscallionJones
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Grim & Frostbitten

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2007, 01:06:25 PM »

There was a long introduction to Mallrats that wound up getting chopped for one reason or another during the production that really should have been in the movie in some capacity. Throughout the movie there are several scenes where they refer to it.  At one point, bad guy Mr. Svenning refers to Brody as his neighbor with some emphasis.  In its current state, it's just this bizarre line without any sort of context and sticks out like a sore thumb but with the beginning intact it makes sense.  Weak reasoning?  Yes.  But the entire reason Claire is pressured to dump her boyfriend is established in this opening scene.  The entire foundation of the movie wound up hitting the cutting room floor.

Visit the b-movie blog
http://www.cinema-suicide.com
The required Myspace profile
http://www.myspace.com/cinemasuicide
asimpson2006
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2007, 03:44:08 PM »

I think the unused ending for the original Dawn of the Dead, would have been interesting to see.  Instead of Peter and Fran escaping they kill them selves instead.
Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?

It's neVer over!

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2007, 04:08:16 PM »

I think the unused ending for the original Dawn of the Dead, would have been interesting to see.  Instead of Peter and Fran escaping they kill them selves instead.
I think Peter and Fran's escape from their tomb of was symbolic, as they were forced out of their lonely but safe refuge and into the real cruel world, they chose life and dangerous rebellion over death and animalistic monotony.

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverspherechannel
For the latest on the fifth installment in Don Coscarelli's Phantasm saga.
RapscallionJones
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Grim & Frostbitten

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2007, 04:45:35 PM »

I think Peter and Fran's escape from their tomb of was symbolic, as they were forced out of their lonely but safe refuge and into the real cruel world, they chose life and dangerous rebellion over death and animalistic monotony.
Which is what, I think, Romero was going for and is the reason it's in the movie.  The script version of the ending is really bleak, though, and I would have loved to have seen it.

Peter shoots himself, Fran jumps into the copter blades and the credits roll as zombies storm out onto the roof.  As the credits come to an end, the copter runs out of gas and the blades slowly spin to a halt.  Looks like they wouldn't have gotten very far anyway.

btw, do you have stairs in your house?

Visit the b-movie blog
http://www.cinema-suicide.com
The required Myspace profile
http://www.myspace.com/cinemasuicide
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Deleted scenes that shouldn't have been! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.