Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:38:13 AM
714235 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  The Badmovies.org website never gets old or boring « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Badmovies.org website never gets old or boring  (Read 5575 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: November 27, 2007, 09:08:21 AM »

I'm not sure exactly how long ago I discovered this website, but it was at least 5 - 6 years ago.  Originally, I just read the movie reviews but didn't get involved in the forum.  Then I started contributing to the forum under my real name (Joe) and eventually assumed the identity of The Burgomaster.

The amazing thing is, I can't think of a single other website that I have visited and contributed to as frequently and consistently as this one.  It's like when I was in my 20s and could go to the local bar just about any night of the week and find someone I knew sitting there.  Badmovies.org is always here and there is always something interesting happening.

Not sure what the magic is here . . . there are other sites that contain similar content but I only visit them occasionally and I am not a "member" of any of them.

It's amazing.  Every day (unless I'm traveling and don't have Internet access), I generally visit Badmovies.org, my online banking site, my online investments site, whatifsports.com (for my sports simulation teams), my personal e-mail account, and maybe 1 or 2 other sites.  So, Badmovies.org somehow holds a very important place in my day (right up there with my personal finances and e-mails!) 

All I can say is either:

1. Andrew created and has maintained one hell of a great website or
2. I'm a very sick and confused individual

Maybe its a combination of the two . . .

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 03:18:33 PM »

I think it's a combination of several elements coming together that make this site stand out from all the rest.

First: The reviews are just right. 
Not too long, not too short and usually hilarious.
And they're laid out in the unique way we've all come to know.  Who wants to read reviews that show nothing but text?  I know I don't.  The combination of text, pictures, quotes you can listen to and a video clip to watch make the reviews here stand out.

Second: The color theme. 
The green and black just seems to work right.
If it were ever changed to two different colors, it wouldn't be the same.

Third: Reader participation. 
On other sites, all you can do is read their reviews.  Here, not only can you do that, but you can also write your own and possibly get it published!  That right there could be incentive enough for someone to become a "member".
That, coupled with the fact that this site is willing to work together with other sites is a big plus.  Too many sites out there are competing against one another.
You won't really find that here.

Fourth: The interviews. 
This site takes it to "the next level" by interviewing the very actors and directors we love to talk about.

Fifth: The forum. 
The forum here is one of the best I've ever seen.  No one here has to worry about punk kids and griefers ruining all the fun by insulting and swearing and degrading them.  From the moment you "join" the board, you're welcomed with open arms by pretty much everybody here. 
And the moderators keep it all in line not by being overbearing and strict like in other forums, but by being understanding and friendly.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 03:16:42 AM by Ash » Logged
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 04:17:48 PM »

Badmovies is truly a great website and resource.  The forum is a daily pitstop for me.   Good comments Ash and Burgomaster.   Thumbup

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Torgo

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 05:08:54 PM »

I have almost quit posting at other movie type sites that I frequented prior to discovering Badmovies.org.    Being such a huge B movie fan as well as just an obsessive movie fan in general, this site has always hit the spot with me.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 05:36:26 PM »

I think we have always been very fortunate to have a group of people who love b-movies and are also interesting folks.  That and a strange lack of trolls.  Is somebody hunting them out of season?

What constantly interests me and amazes my wife is that I've never gotten tired of working on the site.  Now and then I'll get a bit burned out, but most of my hobbies come and go.  I get into them hardcore for a few months or even a year, then they fade out for a year or so.  Even when I've not been on the forum much, I'm always checking in and minding the server and website administration in the background.  When I look at the time involved, it's really staggering.

A major reason I keep motivated has to be that the site does seem to be something people enjoy.  Somebody telling me, "You made me laugh." or "I found a movie that I love via your review." keeps me motivated.  Not everybody likes how I write or the same movies, some people do and that's worth keeping at it.

Want to know what perplexes me?  That the readers have remained at a constant for more than a year.  Early in 2006, I was updating once every 2 weeks.  Since we hit 2007, it has been every week.  No change in how many people visit every month.  Oddness.  I think that people spending their time on YouTube, playing games (online or consoles), or other pursuits must explain it.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 06:13:00 PM »

Going on 7 years I thik, maybe 8.  I love it for many reasons:
1) I like bad film. 
2) The company is excellent. Thoughtful, intelligent and supportive, yet challeging.  No flames here. There are folks I downright respect, and that ain't easy.
3) Conversely, no trolls or script kiddies, or superior twits what make fun of those not so rarefied in the knowledge.
4) Moderators who patrol AND contribute, and don't play favorites.
5) The other site material is A+..well written, entertaining, and actually educational (b-film wise that is). 
6) I can talk with the boss man any time and he replies. 

This is really my only online prescence as a non-reader.  I'm old-school, I guess.  I don't really like meeting random folks in cyberspace.
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 09:19:34 PM »

I belong to maybe five forums totalled, but this is one I keep coming back to.  I don't read every post, but I read most of them and enjoy them a great deal.  You guys ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 10:15:53 PM »

I think we have always been very fortunate to have a group of people who love b-movies and are also interesting folks.  That and a strange lack of trolls.  Is somebody hunting them out of season?
I think that your garden-variety troll could not stand the heat they are liable to get from the bright bulbs 'round here.   TeddyR
A major reason I keep motivated has to be that the site does seem to be something people enjoy.  Somebody telling me, "You made me laugh." or "I found a movie that I love via your review." keeps me motivated.  Not everybody likes how I write or the same movies, some people do and that's worth keeping at it.
Well, your reviews are full of spoilers, even built on them, but as I've pointed out elsewhere, I don't care!  
 TeddyR
What I enjoy about your reviews is not just the wonderful screencaps and sound/video clips, but especially the great care you take with your pointed and sometimes sardonic writing, which is, as Ash pointed out, often hilarious. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007, 11:53:52 PM »

Initially I came looking for some clips of those old films that I remember on TV in the 70's. Then I started posting here somewhere around 2000 or 2001. Still I enjoy reading and contributing to the site when ever I can get a chance. B-Movies seem to be good conversation starters like talking about the weather. Right now I'm reading a book written in 1979 called "Four Arguements For The Elimination of Television" which is becoming an interesting read even if I don't agree. It talks about "images" and such. Maybe I'll do a book review for this one. Anyway this website can also get your creative juices started. Would like to thank Andrew for the obvious attention and care he has put into this website and also to everyone who participates on the forum. Here are some of my mini movie reviews for the week. This clip didn't turn out that great. Low budget you know.  Smile Enjoy...............

Small | Large

« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 12:04:43 AM by Scott » Logged

CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2007, 01:38:04 AM »

badmovies.org?? Never heard of it, anyone got the web address?

No, Andrew's done a fine job here with his excellent reviews, easy navigation, quick info ... not lengthy boring reviews I'll read completely all while serving his country, oh-rah. There is also a fairly decent group of regulars in the forum.

I've been coming here for a long time, until one day I checked out the forum and well I've been annoying folks ever since.

Good work Andrew, keep up the good work and semper fi. 

Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2007, 02:19:22 AM »

Buggedout Aside from having my head shrunk in July this year (see my avatar  Buggedout) I truly feel that this crazy South African has found a home here.

I consider everyone on this board, male, female, human, extraterrestrial my friends and would like to wish you all well over the festive season and the coming months.

Love all of you people and I mean that!  Smile

Cheeze: the web address is www.badmovies.org or www.nakedandninety.com  Buggedout

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2007, 03:15:17 AM »

Want to know what perplexes me?  That the readers have remained at a constant for more than a year.  Early in 2006, I was updating once every 2 weeks.  Since we hit 2007, it has been every week.  No change in how many people visit every month.  Oddness.  I think that people spending their time on YouTube, playing games (online or consoles), or other pursuits must explain it.

Those changes you made last year at this time were probably very timely. Perhaps without the new look, functions, and youtube capability on your page visits may perhaps have dropped off completely. With the changes you were able to balance things out just in time. What's neat is we can dig up the best of what Youtube has to offer and put those videos in our post.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 03:20:35 AM by Scott » Logged

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2007, 06:28:14 AM »

I first found BADMOVIES by looking for B-Movie sites. I was new to the internet...I could hardly type (some would say I still can hardly type!). I knew nothing about youtube,myspace,wikipidea,or much else....the only reason I got on the computer to begin with was to see if I could find old Famous Monster mags to buy online.
 In fact, I was very anti-computer....in my opinion,it was a technology that would turn kids into atrophied geeks with no life-(still not sure if that isn't the case many times!).

But I did start cruising around...and joined a site called MONSTERS AMONG US ....which crashed and burned. Then I joined BMMB...where I felt totally ignored-I my as well have been talking to myself.
   But then I found this site-and kept coming back to it. It was funny,and it had clips! I would hollar at Tara Sue-"You gotta see this!" -it would be Tor grunting...Or Robot Monster getting beat on-Tara would roll her eyeballs-"Jeez,Ronny!"

I'm starting to babble....to cut it short...this is the only forum I post on anymore....tried a few others...bleh...
Kids screaming at each other or over-educated geeks discusing the technoligies of phasers and the X-Mens powers-please!!!!

It's much more relaxed here...and the people on the forum are ALL interesting.

And where else can you discuss the varied merits of toilet paper or the horrors of squirrils?

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2007, 08:44:01 AM »

I think the regulars here are a very diverse and intelligent bunch. I think that diversity and the tolerance of each other's views is what makes the forum work.  It also is a place that allows you to share your personal life with a bunch of folks that actually care for one another.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2007, 12:28:18 PM »

I think the regulars here are a very diverse and intelligent bunch.

I totally agree.  Everyone here discusses (usually anyhow) things intelligently here with the utmost respect for one another.  Even if there are counterpoints.  I've enjoyed the conversations here whether they are about food or movies or whatever. Although we come from different walks of life, we all seem to share a passion for what badmovies.org is about.  I'm glad to know and have met pretty much everyone on this board and would be proud to call you friends. 

This site doesn't get old and thats a good observation.  I think we have an awesome counter culture that we share and Andrew has made a great meeting place where we can all enjoy his and other's reviews. 
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 12:32:20 PM by The DarkSider » Logged

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  The Badmovies.org website never gets old or boring « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.