Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:02:45 AM
714324 Posts in 53094 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors  (Read 7920 times)
Mortal Envelope
Bad Movie Lover

Manos...it's frightening!

« on: November 28, 2007, 01:51:40 PM »

This is probably one of the best of the series (except the first of course) but it's still pretty cheezy.  Seems Freddy is vulnerable to the Catholic faith (good thing he wasn't a Buddhist for whatever would those kids have done?) and who can forget the awesoem rockinest bust-outta-the-wall Dokken soundtrack?  But we did have a main character (the male Doctor lead) who ultimately learned that Science is bad (mmmkay).  Over the course of the movie, and with a ghostly Freddy's mom, he learned to use some faith and Holy water to defeat Freddster only to have that whole thing shat upon in the intro of the next installment when Freddy is resurrected by dog p**s (literally).

Sure, it's a typical 80s flick and you know this because all the teens are in a mental institution and everyone is Catholic - it was quite the norm back then I suppose.  Seems many characters had the script and knew just when to all fall asleep together as well.

The Dream Warriors themselves weren't all that formidable: we had strong guy that wasn't strong enough to beat Freddy, an acrobat pull-you-in-my dreams chick, a chick with switchblades and hairspray who was overall non effective with her combat abilities, and let's not forget the Harry Potter D&D fan shooting green s**t from his hands, among others.

Still, I did like the appearance and significance of Nancy's character (and her dad) - it did add some weight and gave us a really good character to cheer.  <spoilers> Too bad she dies in the end.  But lookie here, the black guy actually lives.  Yes Acrobat dream puller girl, the token black guy, and the mute all live to go to the next movie and are therefore guarenteed to die soon (after some major cosmetic surgery for a couple of them).

Overall it was good cheezy fun - Freddy was probably his funniest here.  This was IMO the last good Freddy movie until Freddy vs Jason.

Note: My comments about the religion of 80s teens is meant to be tongue-in-cheek so please don't be offended.
Torgo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 10:04:38 PM »

This is my personal favorite film of the series.  They really pulled out all the stops with this one.  The marionette death is my favorite of this one.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 10:41:59 PM »

Torgo said pretty much what I wanted to say.  I love the puppet death in this film and aside from the original, it's the best of all of them.  I also love the revealing of Freddy's past, with his mother getting raped by 100 asylum inmates. 

Great, great, great film.   Thumbup

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 06:49:41 AM »

This by far is one of my top ten favs of all time.  Perhaps its the reason also why I hated part 4 so much. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
akiratubo

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 06:20:42 PM »

I think this movie is awful, by far the worst Nightmare movie.

All of a sudden, Freddy eats souls?

When the parents killed him all those years ago they gathered up his bones?  And rather than scatter tham all over the place they put them in a sack?  In the back of a wrecked car?  And the car is still in the exact same place after all this time?

Dream power!  Huzzah!  Dream powers include: wearing leather, having a mohawk, and carrying two knives; being able to yell really loud; acting like a stereotype angry black guy and being king of strong; and being sort of agile!  That's so awesome!

"I am the WIZARD MASTER!"

In the first couple of movies, Freddy's jokes were sadistic and cruel.  Starting in this movie, Freddy is just an idiot who makes lame wisecracks before a kill (at least Freddy's Dead took that and ran with it).

And, wow, what a climax!  Freddy's going "argh" and spinning around with cartoon light beams shooting out of his body!  That's so amazing!  (It was at least better than Freddy dying because he saw his reflection in The Dream Master.)

I do think this one had the best poster art.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Torgo

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 06:49:50 PM »

This by far is one of my top ten favs of all time.  Perhaps its the reason also why I hated part 4 so much. 

Part 4 had some good set pieces but it didn't hang together at all as a whole as they had been well into film without a finalized script. All they had is the dream gags that they wanted to do and that was it at first.   

evildeadchick187
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 08:46:45 PM »

I love this film so much that I am even including the green phallic Freddy munching on Kristin in my sleeve I am getting done soon. (I will post pics when it is done)

I cant say I agree with everything akiratubo had to say about it but i do agree that it was great how they ran with the senseless humor in Freddy's dead. That is my other favorite of the nightmare movies along with part one of course.

This is my boomstick
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2007, 01:32:29 PM »

This was the first of the Nightmare movies I saw. Didn't become a fan of slashers until midway through high school. Watched this in a rec room with a bunch of other guys and had a blast. This was the one where they just went for total cheesy fun, stylish deaths, and quotable quips. Made me want to see the first two.

I have to say, the series went mostly downhill from there, though.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2007, 08:35:34 PM »

I love this film so much that I am even including the green phallic Freddy munching on Kristin in my sleeve I am getting done soon. (I will post pics when it is done)

Evil Dead Chick, love the idea.  Can't wait to see the pics. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2007, 09:12:58 PM »

Overall I was happy with this one.  Felt it was a bit of a step up after the second one. 

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Torgo

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2007, 11:19:41 PM »

Here's how I rate the entire Elm Street series out of 4 stars:

Part 1    ***
Part 2    *1/2
Part 3    ***1/2
Part 4    **1/2
Part 5    **
Part 6    *1/2
New Nightmare   ***

Mortal Envelope
Bad Movie Lover

Manos...it's frightening!

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2007, 10:11:44 AM »

Torgo, I pretty much agree with your rating system at least as far as I can remember some of the entries; I haven't watched some of them for years, especially parts 2, 5, and 6.

I would personally rate Freddy vs Jason with 4 stars; it was about as good as it could have been and paid homage to both legends fairly well.  I like the cinematic shots reminiscent of Elm Street 1 and the reference to hypnocil, for example.

From what I remember, the thing about part 2 I didn't care for (in addition to the outta place homo eroticism elements) was the notion that Freddy wanted to come back to the real world where he's ultimately more vulnerable.  One thing I did like about part 2, however was the the readings of Nancy's diary -quite effective on the creep factor.

Well, I see I've digressed quite a bit from part 3.  Part 3 did seem to bring the series back and, for better or worse, started the Freddy as a comedian/anti-hero of the series.  And yeah, things did get progressively worse there after.
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2007, 10:32:01 AM »

I recently went back and re-watched all of the films.  I've been meaning to do a run down of reviews for each film but haven't done so yet.  Might need to get around to it soon.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
DistantJ
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2007, 05:43:10 AM »

Definitely the most popular Nightmare on Elm Street, though my favourite was always the 4th.
Neville

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2007, 05:17:03 PM »

I keep hearing (since the 80s) that this is one of the best sequels, but I've never been able to finish watching it. Don't ask me why, just find it boring. Number 4 is dumb, but at least it's fun to watch. And I don't think I've ever een #5 or New Nightmare, now that I think of it.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.