Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:59:26 PM
713353 Posts in 53057 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors  (Read 7900 times)
Torgo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2007, 05:46:14 PM »

I would personally rate Freddy vs Jason with 4 stars; it was about as good as it could have been and paid homage to both legends fairly well.  I like the cinematic shots reminiscent of Elm Street 1 and the reference to hypnocil, for example.

I agree that Freddy vs. Jason turned out as good as anyone could have done it IMO.  It was entertaining, had some great kills for each character, loads of gore, cleavage, hot babes, taut editing and it didn't take itself seriously at all.

I had thought that it would've been a tee total disaster but I was proven wrong.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2007, 08:26:18 PM »

I would personally rate Freddy vs Jason with 4 stars; it was about as good as it could have been and paid homage to both legends fairly well.  I like the cinematic shots reminiscent of Elm Street 1 and the reference to hypnocil, for example.

I agree that Freddy vs. Jason turned out as good as anyone could have done it IMO.  It was entertaining, had some great kills for each character, loads of gore, cleavage, hot babes, taut editing and it didn't take itself seriously at all.

I had thought that it would've been a tee total disaster but I was proven wrong.
I know people who were disappointed.

I loved it, and still pop the dvd in now and then.

Only thing I would have changed, was the ending.  The ending was okay, but eh. 

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Torgo

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2007, 11:21:38 PM »

The biggest obstacle they had with Freddy Vs. Jason was who to have win in the final battle.  I've always said that Jason won it but they had to put that last bit in right at the end where Freddy winks at the camera while Jason is carrying his servered head out of the lake.

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2007, 11:07:16 AM »

Jason won it in the sense of like, he's still standing.  But I don't necessarily say he got the victory over Freddy.  Technically Jason stabbed Freddy in the chest with Freddy's dismembered arm, but Lori's the one who pulled Freddy out of the dream and chopped off Freddy's head.  Jason needed outside interference. Wink

Honestly though, I like Jason and Freddy, so either way I'd have been happy with whoever they said won. 

Mortal Envelope
Bad Movie Lover

Manos...it's frightening!

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2007, 01:16:36 PM »

Well, as in any good vrs movie -they both won in different ways.  Freddy kicked Jason around in dream-land.  It was the only way he could get and exploit Jason's fear -memories of being drowned in the beginning.

But once in the real world, Jason mopped the floor with Freddy's limp carcass, well, at least in the physical sense.  I mean, he is a tank for chrissakes!  But Freddy did outwit him a lot too, but yeah in the end it was Jason who was walkin' tall sans a few fingers anyway.

Yeah, Lori did her hand at helping...and it was a good way to tie in the human/Final Girl character rather than having her just run around screaming, falling down, running upstairs and cornering herself.  Lori was quite a refreshing Final Girl now that I think about it.  And damn that was some cleavage :)
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2007, 06:43:41 PM »

It's understandable that they'd have Jason come out just a little bit ahead of Freddy. He is the lesser of two evils, in the truest sense of the word.

Jason has an innocent side. Deformed child, most likely mentally handicapped in some way, with an overprotective (and slightly loony) mother. He gets drowned (or nearly drowned) after being neglected by horny counselors, grows up alone in the woods, then watches his mother hack up a bunch of teenagers - to avenge him no less - before one of them lops her head off. He's since endured pain and death over and over again. It's tragic when you think about it. And Jason has always had a childlike side to him, a touch of innocence, or at least the sense that he's emotionally immature and might not completely understand what he's doing. He's even got ethics of a sort, as he  avoided harming any of the children in Part 6.

Come to think of it, Jason's motives are a mystery. It could be revenge, or maybe he's carrying on what he saw his mother doing. He might think he's the guardian of Crystal Lake for all we know.

Freddy, on the other hand, has no redeeming qualities whatsoever. His mother was raped by lunatics. That's the extent of his personal tragedy. Otherwise, there is nothing to feel sorry for. He is clearly aware of what he's doing, and enjoys it. And he specifically targets children, and was killed as punishment for unspeakable crimes, which he did simply because he got off on it.

In this case, Jason is the good guy.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 10:29:41 PM by AndyC » Logged

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
asimpson2006
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2007, 06:52:46 AM »

The first Nightmare on Elm Street was awesome.  The 2nd movie make me go WTF?  The only thing I liked about the film, was the main characters gf, she was good looking.  The 3rd film was quite good and more interesting in itself.  The 4th film had it problems, but was still decent.  The 5th was decent, but since I have yet to see the uncut version, I'm kinda stuck in the middle of opinion.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2007, 09:28:24 AM »

It's understandable that they'd have Jason come out just a little bit ahead of Freddy. He is the lesser of two evils, in the truest sense of the word.

Jason has an innocent side. Deformed child, most likely mentally handicapped in some way, with an overprotective (and slightly loony) mother. He gets drowned (or nearly drowned) after being neglected by horny counselors, grows up alone in the woods, then watches his mother hack up a bunch of teenagers - to avenge him no less - before one of them lops her head off. He's since endured pain and death over and over again. It's tragic when you think about it. And Jason has always had a childlike side to him, a touch of innocence, or at least the sense that he's emotionally immature and might not completely understand what he's doing. He's even got ethics of a sort, as he  avoided harming any of the children in Part 6.

Come to think of it, Jason's motives are a mystery. It could be revenge, or maybe he's carrying on what he saw his mother doing. He might think he's the guardian of Crystal Lake for all we know.

Freddy, on the other hand, has no redeeming qualities whatsoever. His mother was raped by lunatics. That's the extent of his personal tragedy. Otherwise, there is nothing to feel sorry for. He is clearly aware of what he's doing, and enjoys it. And he specifically targets children, and was killed as punishment for unspeakable crimes, which he did simply because he got off on it.

In this case, Jason is the good guy.
Freddy is more evil than Jason in that sense.  I may be mistaken, and I may have to rewatch it, but in Freddy's Dead, didn't his stepfather beat the crap out of him when he was a kid?  That led to Freddy killing small animals or something.  All I remember is the dad was Alice Cooper.

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2007, 10:21:02 AM »

Hmmm, I think I might have missed Freddy's Dead. Was that the last one before Wes Craven's New Nightmare?

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Mortal Envelope
Bad Movie Lover

Manos...it's frightening!

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2007, 11:00:55 AM »

Yeah it was.  What's funny is that Freddy's Dead was so bad that the new DVD just shows pictures of Alice Cooper and one of Tom Arnold, who both had small roles in the film.

re: Freddy vs Jason (damn I'm digressing) - from watching the documentary on it, it pays a lot of homage to Dracula vs Frankenstein, where Freddy (like Dracula) is the more evil and the lumbering Jason (like Franky's monster) is the lesser of two evils.

Yeah Jason is definitely more sympathetic ...more of a manipulated animal/golem/retard where as Freddy is just a string-pulling child molester. 

But back to Elm Street 3, it's definitely when the series started taking a lighter tone ...and more focus was on Freddy as a serial killer and they seemed to try to tone down his history as a child molester as he was becoming somewhat of a hero to many a teenage boy at the time (seemingly anyway). 

I think I already mentioned this, but, I always found it strange that Freddy wanted to "kill" all the Elm street children.  You'd think that if he was pseudo-immortal and able to mess with people in their dreams that he wouldn't want any of them to die...I'm surprised he didn't just torture them throughout their entire life.  And why did the parents get off scott free (well as far as the dream haunting anyway)? 

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2007, 09:40:00 PM »

I think the parents 'got off' as far as the dream haunting went, because Freddy figured it'd more painful for a parent to watch their own kid die at his hands, in a place they couldn't help their kids: their dreams.  If he went after the parents, who sort of beat him before by setting him on fire, they could beat him again. 

Plus it worked out as well, because not only could the parents not help their kids, but they're the ones who killed Freddy, giving him his powers.

Nightmare 3 is my favorite of the series, after parts 1&6.

Torgo

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2007, 09:41:41 PM »

Hmmm, I think I might have missed Freddy's Dead. Was that the last one before Wes Craven's New Nightmare?

Yeah, Freddy's Dead was part 6 and New Nightmare was technically part 7 though it was it's own self contained story in a way.

planeta5000
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2007, 10:12:23 AM »

Hello everybody, elm Street nightmare I like a lot.
The first and third best for me, but I liked them all.  Smile

Greetings
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.