Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:33:06 PM
714349 Posts in 53094 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Everything is caused by global warming! « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Everything is caused by global warming!  (Read 8822 times)
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« on: November 29, 2007, 12:56:35 PM »

This guy has compiled over 600 links to sites ascribing every kind of misfortune you can think of to global warming. This includes everything from "caterpillar biomass shift" to a drop in the circumcision rate.

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2007/11/everything_is_caused_by_global.html

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 05:35:45 PM »

This guy has compiled over 600 links to sites ascribing every kind of misfortune you can think of to global warming. This includes everything from "caterpillar biomass shift" to a drop in the circumcision rate.

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2007/11/everything_is_caused_by_global.html

What was funny was the back to back 'polar' opposites.
Fish yields up ... fish yields down. Bumper crops ... poor crops. etc.

I heard about the list today on El Rushbo.

Torgo

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 09:34:59 PM »

I'd like to add my increasing hair loss on that list.  DARN GLOBAL WARMING! MY HAIR!

But I shave my head with a razor anyway so I guess no one notices anyway.   Lookingup

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
raj

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 09:56:46 AM »

About the only thing I don't see listed there is the heartbreak of psoriasis.  I'm sure it is just an oversight.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 12:57:27 PM »

But I shave my head with a razor anyway so I guess no one notices anyway.   Lookingup

Hey, me too. Of course I was doing it years before I actually started losing hair. Grew it a couple of weeks last year and determined that I do indeed have a fairly significant bald spot on my crown. The trickiest part to shave has become the easiest  Smile

I would like to attribute a sharp rise in annoying political statements and inane news reports to global warming, and perhaps also an apparent decline in objective science. But those things rise and fall with whatever issue people happen to be worried about at any given time.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Inyarear
Bad Movie Lover

Slimo! Slimo! Slimo!

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2007, 03:39:39 PM »

No, no, no! It's "climate change" now. Your unrevised Newspeak is double-plus ungood, comrade.
Justy
Bad Movie Lover

Oh the humanity!

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2007, 05:59:49 PM »

No, no, no! It's "climate change" now. Your unrevised Newspeak is double-plus ungood, comrade.

Ahh... Newspeak, Oldthinkers unbellyfeel climchang!

-----------------------------------------
"Hey that's great, but who're the Chefs?"
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2007, 02:42:43 PM »

Several years ago after weeks of recurrent illness and pain, chronic appendicitis was diagnosed.  Acute appendicitis is usually easily diagnosed by tenderness on the patients right side (when the appendix is about to burst, or has). Chronic appendicitis comes and goes, so getting poked in the side, it wasn't always tender... this illustrates my view of mankind's "science" (it's akin to shamanism).  Sometimes right, sometimes wrong.  But if I hadn't trusted these scientists with my body, I might have died (or continued to suffer).  My first thought was, "...It's appendicitis!"  But more tests were necessary!  What do I know?  I'm no doctor...

One of the links is entitled: "Global warming 'helps coral reefs grow'"

The end of that story includes this statement:

"...But the finding, reported in New Scientist magazine, is rejected by other scientists, who argue that the Australian team did not consider bleaching, which occurs when warmer waters cause corals to expel the algae that live within them and on which they depend for survival." 

I sure don't want to look at all those links, but it seems to me Dr. John Brignell has got lots of elbow room defining: "scares, scams, junk, panics and flummery cooked up by the media, politicians, bureaucrats and so-called scientists and others that try to confuse the public with wrong numbers." 

I'm not overly impressed by 600 links, certainly many must be silly "junk" or "scams".  It's easy to find links about controversial topics like global warming where there's much dialogue on both sides of the topic. 

Whether one agrees with commentary or not should not color one's scrutiny of the source.  I'm not certain American Thinker is an unbiased website, certainly the writer isn't:
"This exercise is not merely a lark to show the abject absurdity of this global warming nonsense."

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2007, 04:22:08 PM »

Michael Crichton wrote a book last year called STATE OF FEAR which points out many of the weaknesses in the Al Gore-type position, and argues that the case for human caused climate change is actually far weaker than is generally realized.  Crichton is one of the more brilliant guys out there, and his novel contained over 40 pages of references to various scholarly journals, government climate record, etc.  It is definitely worth a read.

I guess my biggest concern is this - what if we gut 200 years of industrial and scientific progress to lower carbon emissions and discover none of it makes a bit of difference?  That the globe just does whatever it wants to do anyway?  We'd come off looking pretty dumb, and those that ignored all the politically correct crapola would come out on top.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2007, 05:44:27 PM »

Michael Crichton wrote a book last year called STATE OF FEAR which points out many of the weaknesses in the Al Gore-type position, and argues that the case for human caused climate change is actually far weaker than is generally realized.  Crichton is one of the more brilliant guys out there, and his novel contained over 40 pages of references to various scholarly journals, government climate record, etc.  It is definitely worth a read.

I guess my biggest concern is this - what if we gut 200 years of industrial and scientific progress to lower carbon emissions and discover none of it makes a bit of difference?  That the globe just does whatever it wants to do anyway?  We'd come off looking pretty dumb, and those that ignored all the politically correct crapola would come out on top.

In April 28, 1975 NEWSWEEK published a store on the coming ICE AGE due to GLOBAL COOLING then in the 1980's we had the hole in the ozone scare, facts are the expects don't know squat.

Here is a page from the 1975 story ...

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2007, 07:24:39 PM »

I find it particularly interesting that the old ten-year deadline is rearing its ugly head again. Apparently, we have ten years to get a handle on climate change (formerly global warming, which was itself formerly the greenhouse effect) before it's too late and the process becomes unstoppable.

Remember the last time environmentalism was particularly trendy? I mean, it's always a hot topic, but every few years people really start jumping on the bandwagon. Think back about 15 years, to the days of Captain Planet, when PC was experiencing a surge. Back then, we had ten years to do something about pollution before it was too late.

So, either we've already licked the problem, or we're all doomed anyway. Either way, we have nothing to worry about  Twirling

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a healthy environment. I just object to alarmist claptrap.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 07:29:44 PM by AndyC » Logged

---------------------
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2007, 07:33:42 PM »

The world will ALWAYS be here...just because WE are not....that's just the way it is. So what? The dinosaurs are gone...so to will we be gone someday. Personally...I don't worry about it. It's about time cockroaches ruled the Earth anyway! BRING ON DAMNATION ALLEY WORLD!!!   Cheers

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Justy
Bad Movie Lover

Oh the humanity!

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2007, 07:59:44 PM »

I generally supported "the environmentalists" before this whole Climate Change nonsense. I mean who can argue with stopping illegal dumping, pollution, acid rain (remember when we were all going to die because of acid rain), but they've really gone off the deep end here. In the past there were freaking ICE AGES! one was as recent as the middle-ages. The damn climate changes on it's own accord. North Africa was a bloody paradise before the deserts expanded. The left-wing nutjobs just want us running around in loin-cloths tilling rice paddies. But people are generally ignorant and can't be bothered to pick up a book and read these things. So they go along like sheeple. The climate is going to change, Da Earf isn't static. It is not going to remain constant.

"Hey that's great, but who're the Chefs?"
Inyarear
Bad Movie Lover

Slimo! Slimo! Slimo!

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2007, 12:12:45 AM »

The world will ALWAYS be here...just because WE are not....that's just the way it is. So what? The dinosaurs are gone...so to will we be gone someday. Personally...I don't worry about it. It's about time cockroaches ruled the Earth anyway!

Interesting... that's kind of like what I thought when I saw Idiocracy: if natural selection favors the morons, maybe they do deserve to inherit the world.

Incidentally, did anyone notice the reference to "Climactic Change" in that magazine page CheezeFlix posted? Ah, how little things do change!
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2007, 12:27:28 AM »

That's where this is really beginning to bug me. Aside from the bullying that goes on in scientific circles if someone tries to offer a scientific opinion contrary to climate change doctrine. And aside from politicians using it for their own gain. Oh, and aside from trained journalists parroting these hypotheses as though they were accepted fact, and aside from biased terminology creeping into the lingo, like "greenhouse gasses." That and just plain annoying buzzwords like "carbon footprint"..... Where was I?

Oh yes, aside from all that.... Come to think of it, this always bugged me.

But what I find most disturbing of all is that the goal is, as others have suggested, to make us give up things for our own good.

Should we do our best to avoid waste? Yes. Should we try not to pollute our environment? Absolutely. Should governments subsidize homeowners who install solar or wind power? Yes. Should we hang clothes on a line in the summer instead of using the dryer? I think so. These are sensible things.

What bugs me is that people are actually advocating against travel, or eating imported fruits. There are people who want to ban barbecues. I saw a guy on TV last week who was arguing that we should all give up meat in general on the basis that it is an inefficient use of land, grain, fuel, water, etc. And any use of energy in the household is now being expressed as tons of carbon in the atmosphere, regardless of how it was generated.

This has turned into a direct attack on our pleasures and conveniences, and the technology behind them. People are advocating going backward, giving things up. We should be looking for ways to do these things in a cleaner, more efficient way. Solve the problem instead of running from it. That's progress. Assuming climate change is caused by human activities, and this is far from proven, the problem is not the activities. The problem is the undesirable effect they're having, and that is where efforts should be directed.

---------------------
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Everything is caused by global warming! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.