Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:34:13 AM
712925 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  El Topo « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: El Topo  (Read 48541 times)
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2008, 08:37:52 PM »

This is not by any means a "bad movie", Roger Ebert has it listed on his website in the "great movies" section along with "Santa Sangre", Ebert has won a Pulitzer award for journalism and more than qualified to state what is a good film and what isn't, "El Topo" is not a b-movie, remove this review from your site immediately.

Did you guys hear someone talking in here?  I swear someone just said something? 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2008, 09:38:32 PM »

This is not by any means a "bad movie", Roger Ebert has it listed on his website in the "great movies" section along with "Santa Sangre", Ebert has won a Pulitzer award for journalism and more than qualified to state what is a good film and what isn't, "El Topo" is not a b-movie, remove this review from your site immediately.

The review will not be removed, absolutely not.  It is offensive and nearsighted that you would even ask it to be.  "I do not agree, so you have to change." is the heart of what you just said.  Intolerance of differing opinions has been one of the pitfalls of Mankind since the beginning, and you are displaying it wonderfully.  Fortunately, I have the ability to politely tell you, "No."

"El Topo" is not what I consider a b-movie, but it is a cult film.  My criteria for what I review is simply that the films "fit" on the site, which is an opinion, and any person's opinion of a film is never wrong.  Perhaps you should go and read my review, which says that "El Topo" is incredible, that I do not understand even half of it, but that I love it to death.

Frankly, any critic's opinion of a movie is exactly that - an opinion.  It is not any more right or wrong than someone with absolutely no awards for journalism, film education, or other qualifying merits.
It's also disturbing how often one finds commentators using the term "B" Movie, who think this "B" must stand for "BAD," which of course, us BAD MOVIE lovers know is hardly the case.  Perhaps EL TOPO is a "B" movie but only in regard to its financing.  There are many many "A" Movies (with requisite big budgets and sometimes big names) that Bite with a capital "B" despite their advantages.  Some of my favorite films are "bad movies" but some of my favorite films are "B" movies that aren't "bad" at all...  Smile

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Dr. Whom
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Cthulhu for president! Why choose the lesser evil?

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2008, 01:46:09 AM »

All well and good, but I still don't know why the rabbits died.

"Once you get past a certain threshold, everyone's problems are the same: fortifying your island and hiding the heat signature from your fusion reactor."

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.
Tsukasamacleod
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2008, 04:01:59 AM »

Nyarlathotep doesn't wear Bermuda shorts! He wears a Denim Jacket and two buttons, one with a smiley face with a bullet hole in it's forehead, and another with a dead pig with a police hat and the caption "How's your pork?".
HarlotBug3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2008, 01:54:22 PM »

Rented this a few months ago, enjoyed it, was impressed by it, but like any overtly metaphorical or avant garde movie...

It can get really really full of itself at times.

I love weird movies, I love artsy movies, but disliking it doesn't make you a philistine.
It probably just makes you someone who never liked weird movies to begin with...or someone born after 1980 who is sick of everyone over 40+ swearing their generation used up all the cool to be had in every medium.

And you emo kids better stop making them seem right!

See. Even thinking about this movie makes you full of yourself.

"Do you have something against droppings?" "Well, no, I..." "Sure, everyone says that till they step in it."
Thee Dr.
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2008, 06:36:34 AM »

To that ass who demanded Andrew take this review down-this site is also dedicated to cult films...but speaking of b-movies..how about some Bud Spencer reviews? (You know you want to!) Also (since I neglected to mention it before)-great site! Keep them reviews coming!
Giant Claw Jr
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2008, 11:47:33 AM »

Holy rediculous batman just what where they smoking when they made this?
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2008, 04:06:33 PM »

Holy rediculous batman just what where they smoking when they made this?

I can only explain what I was smoking when I watched it.  It was a 60/40 blend of Double Dutch Hashish and Peruvian Jimson Weed, with a light sprinkling of angel dust and a Jim Beam chaser.

The movie made perfect sense.  It is a wonderful story about kitties.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
ToyMan
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2008, 04:30:20 PM »

if you think that el topo was insane, steer clear of the holy mountain, another film from alejandro jodorowsky. your head will explode.

Parralax view
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2016, 08:32:44 PM »

It's Alejandro Jodorosky, do you expect sanity??  The guy is off his rocker in a completely artistic way that in many cases only he understands.  There is no denying his artistic abilities and visions, but many people cannot see it, frankly neither can I, but I love his over the top, outlandish movies,  from The Mountain, to the failed attempt to make Dune.  Frank Herbert might have murdered him had he actually made it.
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  El Topo « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.