Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:54:47 AM
713325 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  [REC] (2007) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: [REC] (2007)  (Read 11462 times)
Neville
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: November 30, 2007, 06:32:30 AM »

Maybe  you haven't heard of [REC] yet. It's a Spanish horror movie by directors Jaume Balagueró (Darkness, Fragile) and Paco plaza (The Second Name, Romasanta), and it's having great reviews here.

It's a Blair With Horror style movie, it follows the asignment of a young TV reporter, who is making a piece on a firemen department and gets trapped inside a building where some sort of infection is running amok.

Saw it last week, it's not a masterpiece, but it's a very good film. The acting feels very natural and the camerawork is imaginative. Lots of scary s**t in here, be warned. The udience in the theatre was jumping all the time.

I'm afraid you won't have much chances of watching it there on the States, there's an american remake already in the making, but if you get the chance to watch it don't doubt it.

Trailer and other info at http://movies.filmax.com/rec/

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 02:01:50 PM »

Looks interesting, but I'm guessing I'll have to wait until the DVD release.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 04:47:06 PM »

Looks interesting Neville, but I don't have a lot of faith in the guy if he's the same one who directed Darkness.  That film could have been fantastic but ended up being a little less than mediocre.

Thanks for the heads up though.  I'm always interested in a good foreign scare flick.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Neville

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 05:19:15 PM »

"Darkness" is easily his worst effort, his latest work, "Fragile" and "Para entrar a vivir" is much better.

Paco Plaza is less popular, but I think his films are better than Balagueró's, if less accesible. He's made a pretty decent Ramsey Campbell adaptation, "The Second Name", which would be better regarded if it wasn't a drama rather than a horror film, and a damn good werewolf film called "Romasanta".

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Mr_Vindictive

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 05:38:48 PM »

I'm not familiar with Plaza's work but I will certainly check out anything of his that I can find on DVD.  I generally enjoy Spanish horror films more than most other foreign films as they don't seem to feel the need to "rush" things they way that American directors do.  They like making horror films unsettling, haunting experiences rather than films for the attention deprived.

I am a bit harsh on Darkness.  I ended up seeing it in the theater as the film I wanted to see at the time was sold out.  I had driven about two hours to the theater so I figured I'd check out Darkness.  It was a disappointment but I know that it was heavily cut to get a PG-13 rating over here.  I've heard that the real version of the film is considerably better.  It did feel like there was a good movie in there somewhere.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Neville

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2007, 05:50:55 PM »

Believe me, "Darkness" deserves the criticism. It has a intriguing concept and some great visuals, but it's quite boring and falls short on the scares department.

It got awful reviews here, everybody enjoyed "The Nameless" a lot and expectations were high. At least Balagueró tried harder with his next films.

I'm not that enthusiastic about the recent Spanish horror wave. A lot of movies have been made, but so far only Balagueró and Plaza seem to deliver the goods.

Neville

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 01:52:19 PM »

Man, those people work fast. "Quarantined", the American remake of [REC] seems to be in a very advanced state. It won't hit theaters until October, but there are already stills from it on the net, and even a trailer.

Pics --> http://www.ugo.com/ugo/html/gallery/default.asp?img=5&gallery=quarantine_filmtv&page=0

Trailer --> http://www.ugo.com/movies/quarantine/

I wonder if it will turn out any good. I like what I see on the trailer, seems they've tried to keep things simple and low scale, and Jennifer Carpenter seems a good replacement for the Spanish actress in the original, but a good deal of the success of the original relied on the camerawork and the naturality of all actors involved.

Mr_Vindictive

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 03:09:30 PM »

I actually got a chance to watch REC a couple of months back Neville.  I highly enjoyed it which was surprising considering how much I disliked Darkness.

Here is a short review I posted on another site back in February when I caught the flick:

"I just finished it and I must say that I'm quite pleased with it. It is a nice counterpart to Cloverfield as they both have the same camera style.

The film is obviously low budget, but it helps add to the realism. I loved the story line, especially the eventual reveal as to where the disease originated. Also, Angela wasn't bad to look at either.

The only real issue I had with the film was that there were no big surprises as to who would die. I found myself picking each character off about 10 minutes before their demise.

The film felt like a big haunted house to me. Zombies would jump out at random times and the attacks seemed somewhat staged. There were a lot of boo scares, which I normally loathe, but they worked very well here.

I recommend this one as well. It's intelligent and it's a zombie film that tries to do something different. Once there is a DVD of this film, I'll see about importing it and giving it another view."

I would like at least a limited theatrical run of the film before the American version comes out but I'm sure that is too much to ask for.

Neville

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 03:18:26 PM »

Glad you enjoyed the film. In the end it turned out to be a great hit here (Spain), and we all feel very happy about it.

I don't think it will get proper screening in america, though. Those people behind the remake wouldn't like that, that's for sure. Specially if their version turns out to be worse.

But I'm pretty sure it will be available on DVD sooner or later.

As for your review, I've just seen "Cloverfield", and I think the camerawork in [REC] is far more restrained. A good think, really. I tried to watch "Cloverfield" in a friend's house. He has one of those wall projectors, and we had to stop it, we both were getting motion sickness.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 03:20:17 PM by Neville » Logged

Mr_Vindictive

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2008, 03:38:55 PM »

Very true about the camera style Neville.  At least REC had an excuse for a more restrained shooting style as it was supposedly being shot by a film crew. 

I think the remake will lose the basic feel of REC.  No longer will it be sort of a haunted house film, with the boo scares, but more of a standard zombie flick. 

Neville

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2008, 04:07:42 PM »

Who knows. Judging from the trailer, it looks like a shot-by-shot remake. If they can match the performances... not that they were that great in the original, except the actress who played the reporter, but they were very realistic.

I remember people in the audience laughing when the TV reporter starts interviewing the neighbours, and some of them dont even speak her language. Quite an acomplishment, for such a tense film.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  [REC] (2007) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.