Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 06:44:10 AM
714255 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Whatever became of "Wizard Video"?! « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Whatever became of "Wizard Video"?!  (Read 2008 times)
The Angelino
« on: February 28, 2002, 04:47:43 AM »

There were know for releasing lots of classically bad flicks like "I Spit on your grave".  I'm wondering where I can find a list of movies that were released or distributed under their label.
StatCat
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2002, 01:27:19 AM »

Don't know about a list but I do remember they released zombie, virgin among the living dead, and a few other really bad zombie films.
Trevor the Rat
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2002, 08:23:40 PM »

some others include boogyman and i'm thinking the ms. 45 big-box but i dont' feel like going down in my room and checking.
Nathan
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2002, 11:09:50 AM »

As luck would have it , I watched Mutant Hunt over the weekend, from writer-director Tim "Robot Holocaust" Kincaid.  It's pretty much indicative of most Wizard Video quality.

Nathan
mmv3000
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2002, 05:22:54 PM »

just for those not familiar with Wizard, this was the 2nd label run by Charles Band. He originally started with Meda (named after his wife), which became Media. He sold it off and started Wizard, where he released all kinds of crap (the store I work at still has the Wizard release of PARASITE). After Wizard fell, he started up Empire, and got distribution through other companies, before starting Full Moon.

Don't know where you'd find a complete list of what they released, but if you can find them, the guys who publish GACK! magazine were at one point working on a book devoted to those early-80's over-sized box horror movies. Maybe they could help.
Chris K.
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2002, 05:31:51 PM »

Not to get too technical, but Charles Band kept Wizard Video in business when he started Empire International Pictures in the early 80's and then closed Wizard Video down when Empire Pictures went defunct in 1989.
Jay O'Connor
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2002, 06:08:09 PM »

>>from writer-director Tim "Robot Holocaust" Kincaid. It's pretty much indicative of most Wizard Video quality.

*shudder*

I just endured "Robot Holocaust" a few weeks ago.  Hand puppet monsters, robots with eyelashes, the deadly spider foot...*brrr****

On a  a lighter note, anyone think that "Equalizer 2000" and "Raiders Of The Sun" had the same production crew?  Definitely the same location scout and wardrobe person

Hmm...quick trip to IMDB indicates that Cirio H. Santiago  and Frederick Bailey  both share the blame for both.  

No wonder "Raiders..." game me deja vu last night.
mmv3000
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2002, 08:12:51 PM »

good catch, Chris, I totally messed that part up.

btw, just looking at the Wizard Videos I have, here's some more to add to their catalog:

THE BEAST (aka Equinox, the film that may or may not have inspired EVIL DEAD)

INVISIBLE DEAD

MONSTER HUNTER

++++

now that we're on this sort of subject, anyone else here remember CONTINENTAL VIDEO? Same time period as Wizard, and dealt with a lot of schlock?
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Whatever became of "Wizard Video"?! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.