Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:36:32 PM
713364 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  No Country for Old Men (2007) « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: No Country for Old Men (2007)  (Read 9709 times)
Torgo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: November 30, 2007, 11:50:17 PM »

I'm actually seeing this on Saturday (12/1/07) but some of my friends have seen it and said that it's incredible so I'm sure that I'll end up liking it.

I'll post my thoughts on it on Monday but just from what I could tell from the trailers it seems like the Coen Bros. have gone back to their roots a lot after what I consider to be 2 dismal films (Intolerable Cruelty, The Ladykillers) and an okay one prior to that (The Man Who Wasn't There).

Anyone seen it yet and if so what were your thoughts?

I'll post my rating for on Monday and let you all know what I exactly thought of it though I'm sure I'll like it a lot as the book it's based on is incredible to begin with. 
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 07:21:00 PM by Torgo » Logged

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 12:19:58 AM »

I actually liked some parts of THE LADYKILLERS, and even got a chuckle out of INTOLERABLE CRUELTY.  This one looks pretty intriguing, though.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Torgo

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 05:29:46 PM »

***1/2 out of ****.

The ending went on a scene too long right at the end and it would have been a lot more powerful to have ended the movie prior to that scene IMO. So I have to knock a half star off.

But it's still a great movie that everyone should check out!  Thumbup

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Zontar Smith
New Visitor

The Thing From Venus, Massachusetts

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 01:11:51 PM »

I saw it last weekend and I loved it.

I think it's the finest Western since Eastwood's Unforgiven. Highly recommended.

The Coen Bros ride again!

"Greetings, my friend. We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives."-Criswell
HarlotBug3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 03:01:11 PM »

***1/2 out of ****.

The ending went on a scene too long right at the end and it would have been a lot more powerful to have ended the movie prior to that scene IMO. So I have to knock a half star off.

But it's still a great movie that everyone should check out!  Thumbup

I agree to an extent, but I suspect this was done specifically (by both the author and filmakers) for people who like to experience their art consciously and debate it afterwards rather than with any oblivious pretention.

But seriously, people. It's a crime this isn't getting better distribution. Don't wait for dvd if you have the option. If I have to wait through two more admittedly cute, but undeniably easy comedies before they make another film like this...I just might die.

"Do you have something against droppings?" "Well, no, I..." "Sure, everyone says that till they step in it."
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 07:17:34 PM »

Got a chance to see it yesterday and I might say that even I was surprised.  I'm a big Coen Bros fan, but this is quite possibly their masterwork.  A sort of Noir-Western, and it all works so well.  I highly recommend it.  I'm certainly glad that it won as many Oscars as it did last night.  It certainly deserves all of them.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Oldskool138
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 07:27:20 PM »

Got a chance to see it yesterday and I might say that even I was surprised.  I'm a big Coen Bros fan, but this is quite possibly their masterwork.  A sort of Noir-Western, and it all works so well.  I highly recommend it.  I'm certainly glad that it won as many Oscars as it did last night.  It certainly deserves all of them.

I want to see it but I can't get anyone to tell me the bare-bones plot.  They say it would ruin the movie.

Can anyone tell me what this movie's about?  (spoiler free required)

He learned almost too late that man is a feeling creature... and because of it, the greatest in the universe........
-Dr. Paul Nelson (Peter Graves)

That gum you like is going to come back in style.
-The Man from Another Place
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 07:47:49 PM »

I'll attempt to:

Josh Brolin plays a good ole boy from Texas who finds a group of vehicles out in the desert while hunting.  There he finds numerous dead bodies, a ton of drugs, and about 2 million in cash.  From that point on he is hunted by an assassin (Javier Bordeim) who uses one of the most unique weapons I've ever seen in my life.  It all comes together, and creates an absolutely amazing experience.

I can't say more than that.  Just know that there are some scenes in the film that are some of the most tense that I've seen in quite some time.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 09:12:26 PM »

I've heard this was an awesome film! 
Sometime this weekend I definitely plan to see it.
My parents saw it and liked it but said they hated the ending.

By the way, they did a funny parody of the coin toss scene on Conan 'O Brien the other night.   TeddyR
Check it out...
Small | Large
Neville

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 11:36:05 AM »

Here's another one who enjoyed it inmensely. Haven't read the novel this time, but I'm more or less familiar with Cormac MacCarthy's style, and I'd say the movie felt more like McCarthy than it did like the Coens' previous films. Still, they pulled it out nicely, and even got to insert a few of their quirky stuff, like those mariachis. You'll know what I mean if you've seen the movie.

This one is really a must see, no matter if you like noirs, revisionists westerns, the Coens' work or just any particular actor in the cast. You won't be disappointed.

As for the ending, I felt a bit "what?" myself, but it's sort of coherent with the rest of the movie, which pretty much tries to say we live in an absurd universe.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
HarlotBug3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 12:04:57 PM »

If you went to or want to see No Country for Old Men, be sure to see "There Will be Blood" as well.

I don't say this because they're similar, only that fans of grown up, meticulous yet unpretentious movies are likely to enjoy both.

There's an undervalued line between good and actually believable period setting. In both of these I was entirely convinced that I was viewing the action through a time warp.

"Do you have something against droppings?" "Well, no, I..." "Sure, everyone says that till they step in it."
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2008, 07:48:17 PM »

If you went to or want to see No Country for Old Men, be sure to see "There Will be Blood" as well.

I don't say this because they're similar, only that fans of grown up, meticulous yet unpretentious movies are likely to enjoy both.

There's an undervalued line between good and actually believable period setting. In both of these I was entirely convinced that I was viewing the action through a time warp.

Just to pass on word that "There Will Be Blood" is also based on a novel. It's based on Upton Sinclair's novel "Oil."
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2008, 11:47:45 AM »

I"m interested in seeing both NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN and THERE WILL BE BLOOD.

Oldskool138
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2008, 12:31:58 PM »

Just to pass on word that "There Will Be Blood" is also based on a novel. It's based on Upton Sinclair's novel "Oil."

The book's title is "Oil!" not "Oil".  It's like "McLintock!" or "Hatari!".   TeddyR

He learned almost too late that man is a feeling creature... and because of it, the greatest in the universe........
-Dr. Paul Nelson (Peter Graves)

That gum you like is going to come back in style.
-The Man from Another Place
HarlotBug3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2008, 03:06:32 PM »

I"m interested in seeing both NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN and THERE WILL BE BLOOD.

Do NOT hesitate. Watch "There will be Blood" first, as No country... is likely to get more theatre time now that it's made it to the academy.

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  No Country for Old Men (2007) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.