Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:45:14 PM
713382 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Never understood..................... « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Never understood.....................  (Read 7548 times)
respectmeordye3
Bad Movie Lover

« on: December 01, 2007, 06:55:13 PM »

I have run into some folks who think ID4 (Independence Day) deserves to be here.

I personally never understood that--IMHO it is the best "alien race invades earth" to have been made to date. You wanna take terrible just look at the new War Of The Worlds movie from not long ago.
ghouck
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 07:37:44 PM »

I place ID4 in the "bad, and not in a good way" catagory. It has quite a bit of uvbelievable crap in it, and all in all, it's not that entertaining. The idea a fighter pilot, would intentionally come in physical contact with something not of this world. That's just absurd, but not as absurd as the guy knowing how to program a virus for the system of a alien spacecraft. Also, the idea that a pilot would know how to fly the thing, let alone be any good at it, just makes to movie, ,well, stupid.

Personlly, I enjoyed Mars Attacks much more, but it's not meant to be taken so seriously. .

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 07:58:05 PM »

ID4 is an overblown B-movie without the charm. If millions are going to be spent on fx...you would think they would spend just a little more on the script writers...instead of rehashing old sterotypes and ideas that were old by the early 60's.

It's an ok time-waster...but a waste of money.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 08:08:01 PM »

I love ID4.

Sure, it's full of plot holes, Will Smithisms, extravagant fx, goofy writing and the requisite cliched President's speech.  All part of the charm.

It's a fun film into which I can lose myself for a couple of hours.  I expect nothing more from it than that.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2007, 08:14:12 PM »

It's decent film.  Nothing great but it's a good way to waste two and a half hours.

I have to disagree with your opinion of the War Of The Worlds remake.  I was floored by just how good that film was.  The initial attack in that film gave me chills my first time viewing it.  Fantastic film.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2007, 08:20:51 PM »

I thought it was bad for two reasons. First the plot which was just updated and cobbbled together from various better 1950s scifi alien invasion films.

Also I had troulbe with the amount of suspension of disbelief required for a scifi popcorn movie. The computer virus, flying the ship, teaching so many variously skilled pilots to fly F-18s so quickly, and there being so many of one type of aircraft to be scrounged up, etc.

But what was the one thing that told me I would hate the rest of the movie was when Will Smith's wife ducks into that supply closet to escape the fireball about to cook everyone in the tunnel. She survives with the dog that we last see leaping into the room as the fireball is reaching where they are. So there is no combustion zone in their world? Fire and heat only travel in straight lines? The superheated air wouldn't be impossible to breathe even if they aren't directly burned somehow?

That's when I knew the filmmakers really didn't give a crap to tell a good story, just blow stuff up and by the numbers plotting. You knew Randy Quiad's pilot had to have his return confrontation with the aliens and redeem himself by saving the day, the noble sacrifice was optional.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2007, 02:14:26 AM »

I remember back in 1996 when I first saw the trailer for ID4 while at another movie and I thought it looked like the coolest movie ever!

Then my buddy Chris & I went to see it.
I can remember standing in line and even where we sat in the theater clear as day.

And I remember how disappointed I was in the film while watching it.

I wanted to see a very serious look at an alien invasion.
I wanted to see total brutality and blood & guts and I wanted to watch the human race seriously struggle to reclaim the planet.
(kind of like the humans vs. machines in the Terminator films)
I wanted gritty hardcore reality.

ID4 had too much lighthearted campy comedy for me and it totally turned me off.

That's not to say that it's 100% bad.
It isn't.
It has good production values and some genuine moments of suspense.
But that whole "lightheartedness" that permeates ID4 was what killed it for me.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 07:13:49 PM by Ash » Logged
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2007, 08:56:04 AM »

I enjoyed this movie quite a bit.  Sure it's got a ton of ridiculous plot holes and everything else, but, eh...didn't bother me.  I got a real kick out of those people on top of the building with the signs welcoming the aliens  TeddyR  It was just fun, not to be taken seriously, watch stuff blow up, get a few laughs.

Didn't care for that War of the Worlds remake at all.  The beginning was awesome, they did a great job with the special effects, but after 90 minutes of Maverick and his god-awful kids and the reunion with his god-awful wife I was very put off by it.  I guess I'm not in the target audience for that because when I see Tom Cruise I don't automatically go "ooooh!!!, aaaaah!!!". 

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2007, 09:06:51 AM »

I thought ID4 was a disappointment.  And that "laptop upload to the superior alien computer" scene was one of the stupidest moments in film history.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
nshumate
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2007, 10:34:03 AM »

Me, I've got no problem with it.  It's a fun popcorn flick.

Nathan Shumate
Cold Fusion Video Reviews
Sci-fi, Horror, and General Whoopass
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2007, 12:13:45 PM »

ID4 isn't a terrible movie.

It is what it is, and that's a good timewaster. 

There's definitely been worse movies.

I like this, although I wouldn't buy the dvd or anything.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Killer Bees
Newly Appointed Government Employee and

Never give up on love

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2007, 10:41:19 PM »

I don't think it's a bad movie.

Of course, you have to suspend disbelief a little, but overall it's an entertaining movie and I like the special effects.  Judd Hirsch is the best and Jeff Goldblum and Bill Pullman are VERY easy on the eyes.  Adam Baldwin as the Airforce (?) guys is pretty sweet too.

And call me a lame-o, but every time I see Bill Pullman do his independence speech to the newly recruited pilots, I cry my eyes out.

I loved Mars Attacks and bought it on DVD.  Whenever I need a good laugh, I bring it out.

I also enjoyed War of the Worlds.  Not really a Tom Cruise fan, but he did okay in this one.  The special effects were awesome, but the ending was a little lame.  I still bought it on DVD, but for $10 I'm not going to quibble.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 10:46:07 PM by Killer Bees » Logged

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Bring back what once was mine
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
Bring back what once was mine
What once was mine.......
El Dogo
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2007, 10:48:59 PM »

ID4 was mediocre.  Not bad, not good. 

It felt like they couldn't make up their mind to do a campy romp invasion movie or a serious gritty invasion movie, so they sort of did both at the same time.  So instead of a relaxing warm bath or a bracing cold shower, you just sat in a tub of lukewarm water.
D-Man
Bad Movie Lover

Only my head is tiny...

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2007, 11:17:54 PM »

I saw ID4 in the theater, and thought it was pretty good...then again, I was 13 at the time, and when you sit me down with a soda, and popcorn, I'm liable to like just about anything.   TeddyR

It's a very cheesy film in a lot of ways, and I can tell already that it's not going to age well.  What ticks me off more, though, is the fact that there are some good actors in the cast, like Harvey Fierstein, Brent Spiner, Randy Quaid, and Mary McDonnel, who are all killed off, while guys like Will Smith and Bill Pullman are allowed to survive.  That's just a personal gripe of mine, though. 

It's good for a one-time viewing, but I wouldn't recommend owning it on DVD to anyone. 
akiratubo

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2007, 07:16:00 AM »

Meh, just another alien invasion movie.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Never understood..................... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.