Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 12:26:17 PM
714314 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  80s Slasher Craze « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: 80s Slasher Craze  (Read 9291 times)
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2007, 10:41:02 PM »

Now KILLING SPREE.(1984)..which I just got from Great White Dope...-Zero budget...yet fun and oddly hilarious! Watch the trailer! This was directed by Tim Ritter...the genuis(?) that brought us TRUTH or DARE!
BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle
Watched the trailer... Now I must see that drek!  Thanks for the laugh!   Thumbup 

As others have pointed out, HALLOWEEN is 1978, and I do think it is the first film that defines that "Slasher" genre, so how about TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE (1974) or LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT (1972) ?  Certainly they both contributed a lot to the Slasher genre. 
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 10:48:24 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Mortal Envelope
Bad Movie Lover

Manos...it's frightening!

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2007, 11:08:04 AM »

TCM is a classic, no doubt, and a definite precursor to the slashers.  It seems to be the grandfather of the remote cannibalistic family subgenre perhaps more so than the slashers, but I can definitely see its influence all around.

I have yet to see LHOTL but have read about it.  Although there was murder (and more), it doesn't seem to follow the slasher formula as much as the others (but I could be wrong).  It seems to be one of the precursors to the snuff sub genres if nothing else -seemed to be a lot of those types of films in the 70s.  It's interesting how SAW II made a reference to this one btw.

But yeah, overall the horror from the 70s definitely paved the way for the slasher movies; I picked the 80s mainly because that's when the formula seemed to have been ironed out and their popularity increased ten fold.

And I have to agree, Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter seemed to be the pinnacle of the Jason slashers!
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2007, 12:17:28 PM »

The recently reviewed (on another site) "Spider Baby" is another I would call a precursor to the "remote cannibalistic family subgenre."  It also covers a lot more of the story from the point of view of the killers.

It seems to be the grandfather of the remote cannibalistic family subgenre

And I have to quote this line, because it made me laugh.  Only on a bad movie forum do I run into things like it.  "You know, the creature was cool, but I think they misplaced the fourth eye.  If it was a little to the left, the effect would have been much more frightening."

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
RapscallionJones
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Grim & Frostbitten

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2007, 12:58:02 PM »

And I have to agree, Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter seemed to be the pinnacle of the Jason slashers!
It's definitely the absolute peak of the series.  Probably my favorite of them all.  5-8 were ridiculous, moreso than the rest and maybe even worse than part 3 but I think they definitely picked up the pace with Jason Goes To Hell, which I haven't seen in a long time and I also really liked Jason X in spite of how foolish it is.  The setup is fantastic and Kane Hodder has never been so intimidating as Jason in chains.

Visit the b-movie blog
http://www.cinema-suicide.com
The required Myspace profile
http://www.myspace.com/cinemasuicide
Mortal Envelope
Bad Movie Lover

Manos...it's frightening!

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2007, 05:25:16 PM »

The recently reviewed (on another site) "Spider Baby" is another I would call a precursor to the "remote cannibalistic family subgenre."  It also covers a lot more of the story from the point of view of the killers.

It seems to be the grandfather of the remote cannibalistic family subgenre

And I have to quote this line, because it made me laugh.  Only on a bad movie forum do I run into things like it.  "You know, the creature was cool, but I think they misplaced the fourth eye.  If it was a little to the left, the effect would have been much more frightening."

Hehehe glad I could make you laugh.  It is a kinda funny line now that I reread it.  Yeah only on a forum like this :)
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2007, 08:31:40 PM »

This is a little off topic as well,but the SADIST with Arch Hall Jr.,seems to have forged a path for LAST HOUSE on the LEFT for sadist killers torturing people in the boonies...

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Bonehead-XL
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2007, 02:14:48 AM »

"The Mutilator" is pretty good, too, if just for the gore.

that's a great over-the-top gore flick from what my memory serves me.  I had this one on VHS but the tape broke and I haven't gotten around to getting it on DVD yet.  The version I had on VHS was the uncut Vestron Video version.

It hasn't been released on DVD yet. Though one is in the works from the great people at Code Red.
Sister Grace
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I found my mind in a brown paper bag...

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2007, 09:26:14 AM »

There have a been alot of great slasher movies mentioned on here, but i guess my favorite would probably be Intruder also known as Night Crew the final Checkout. Its hilarious and over the top, even has a bruce campbell, who was billed as one of the main stars even if his only line is "Hands up". Its interesting also to see all the old displays and products you would find in a grocery store back in the early eighties. But the scariest thing about this slasher flick are the hairstyles....

Small | Large

Society, exactly as it now exists is the ultimate expression of sadomasochism in action.<br />-boyd rice-<br />On the screen, there\\\'s a death and the rustle of cloth; and a sickly voice calling me handsome...<br />-Nick Cave-
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  80s Slasher Craze « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.