Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:25:29 AM
713386 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Weird News Stories  |  No More Hos For Santa « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: No More Hos For Santa  (Read 10623 times)
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« on: November 15, 2007, 08:13:21 AM »

I've said it before, political correctness is going to kill our society.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20071115/wl_asia_afp/lifestyleaustraliachristmasoffbeat

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 08:20:57 AM »

Buggedout That is bizarre, TheDarkSider.

I suppose now any person who plays Long John Silver will have to say "Oh dear me and a bottle of cow juice" instead of the usual "Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum".  Buggedout

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
nshumate
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 08:27:15 AM »

Jeff at ProteinWisdom.com often makes note of things like this; it's a case of "resignifying," or allowing the aggrieved listener to redefine the word to his/her (dis)liking and then condemn the speaker for the reinterpreted meaning.  Other examples:  College professors condemned for using the word "n***ardly," because students erroneously interpreted it as being derived from a racial slur.

Nathan Shumate
Cold Fusion Video Reviews
Sci-fi, Horror, and General Whoopass
frank
Bad Movie Lover

"I'm a big boy now, Johnny."

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 09:07:42 AM »

Quote from the article:

"A local spokesman for the US-based Westaff recruitment firm said it was "misleading" to say the company had banned Santa's traditional greeting and it was being left up to the discretion of the individual Santa himself."

What is that supposed to mean??? There's more than ONE Santa Claus?????

Honestly, Santa (or the Weihnachtsmann, as we call him - meaning Christmasman, not very creative, I know) does not say such things, probably because the far left students in the 60s were usually calling "Ho Ho Ho Chi Minh" on their protest walks....

......"Now toddle off and fly your flying machine."
CheezeFlixz
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 10:57:05 AM »

I've said it before, political correctness is going to kill our society.

You said a mouth full. It seems everyone has their heart on their sleeve and are just looking for ways to be offended. Nearly every day I see a case or article were someone is offended by what someone has says ... not that I would ever offend anyone. Wink

If you don't like what someone says ignore it. Political correctness has to many rules for me to keep up with.

One group can say one thing about something and it's ok.
Another group says the exact same thing and it's racism or not PC.
It's all insane.

Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 12:18:18 PM »

Well said good sirs. I'm not quite sure why changing the way we say something(example, calling "midgets" "little people") is going to matter.  No matter how you cut it, its simply a "nicer" way to call someone "different".  Either we all get called "human" or simply accept what society calls you.   Lookingup

For this example, I saw also somewhere that they wanted Santa to "slim down" because a "fat" Santa is not something to look up to.  I think all of this BS started with the whole "Happy Holidays" vs "Merry Christmas" thing.  For example, someone thought saying "Merry Christmas" to the Jewish is somehow offensive.

Why do people who complain about things not being PC remind me of college kids who protest anything just to have a voice?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 12:21:07 PM by The DarkSider » Logged

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 01:00:00 PM »

For example, someone thought saying "Merry Christmas" to the Jewish is somehow offensive.

I am chastised every year for wishing our Jewish friends "Happy Easter."

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2007, 01:39:25 PM »

Wow, what is REALLY shocking about this to me is that now the PC police are being driven by slangs and mispronunciations of real words.  Slang is often (and is here) very regional or subculture specific, so once again, we see a 'minority' dictating for the majority.

That's the whole point of PC, in my view:  that a few can socially 'govern' the many.

Anybody want to read a good book on PC and it's cousins should check out Dinesh Desousa's book Illiberal Education.  It's dated (uses mid-late 1980's data and anecdotes), but he may have written others since.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
dean

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2007, 04:53:03 AM »

It's funny, because they were planning on having the Santas saying "ha ha ha" instead.  Horrible isn't it?

Anyways, I was listening to the radio the other day and they were talking about how all the American producers were making 'Love, Peace and Happy Holidays" material for christmas, and it was almost impossible to get anything that said "Merry Christmas" etc etc.

How fun...

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
raj

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2007, 03:26:03 PM »

For example, someone thought saying "Merry Christmas" to the Jewish is somehow offensive.

I am chastised every year for wishing our Jewish friends "Happy Easter."

Andrew, you need to invite them in for the Christmas ham dinner.
Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2007, 02:59:49 AM »

Andrew, do these friends decorate or hide eggs with their children? Even if they don't take part in the non-Christian parts of the holiday, why chastise you for saying that, just let it roll off their back unless someone's being a jerk about it.

There's a woman who works the check out line at the Wal-Mart I go to, she apparently wishes, "Have a blessed day," to customers as they leave. I'm an atheist, I don't believe in blessings, but it does me no harm if this is the woman's way of wishing people well. I'm not going to point this out to her, or tell her to keep her blessings to herself. Now if she were to somehow find out and try to belligerently witness to me every time I went through her line, that would be different.

I exchange presents with people, so "Merry Christmas" doesn't bother me, but "Happy Holidays" is fine too since I know there are other holidays going on then also. I embrace some traditions I enjoy (I enjoy getting together with friends and family and it feels good to give gifts to people you care about or who need help, getting stuff can be nice too, just don't be greedy about it) but ignore others. People on both sides of these "War on Christmas" flareups need to chill out.

Back to the Santa mess, it's funny that the people wanting to get rid of "ho ho ho" are assuming that the first thing to pop into someone's mind is the slang for "whore", not the original jolly laugh or say a garden implement. What does that say about what's going on in their heads. Next some overly sensitive parent will claim that "ha ha ha" is making their kid think that Santa is mocking them.

Getting worked up over whether the fictional personification of holiday gift giving is too fat? Blame the old Coca-Cola ads that helped shape the modern image of Santa; blame the author of "Twas the Night Before Christmas". Maybe we should make St. Nick skinny again to keep the holiday the way our ancestors did, and we can bring back Black Peter too. Or we can get the hell over caring about what the correct BMI for this figment of our imagination should be anyway.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2007, 12:29:17 PM »

Andrew, do these friends decorate or hide eggs with their children? Even if they don't take part in the non-Christian parts of the holiday, why chastise you for saying that, just let it roll off their back unless someone's being a jerk about it.

I should explain further.  The person berating me is my wife and the friends are Gary and Tara, who are similar to me in humor, so they just laugh about it too.  When I have run into someone who had a rude issue with me saying "Happy Easter" or "Merry Christmas," I just change my tack after they disagree and usually say something like, "Happy day-that-means-nothing-to-you.  Is that better?"  I cannot remember the conversation every going beyond that point.

Generally, I cannot remember ever having a problem with someone wishing me a happy holiday that is from a religion or culture that I do not observe.  Now, if someone said, "May the great Lucifer visit your house and cavort tomorrow on Hell's Eve." I might express concern.

You know, I'm not sure that Tara is so Jewish that she wouldn't eat ham.  Can someone be only part Jewish?

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2007, 01:27:34 AM »

Andrew, got you, guess I took "chastise" literally rather than just in a joking way.

You know, I'm not sure that Tara is so Jewish that she wouldn't eat ham.  Can someone be only part Jewish?
[/quote]

So ethnicly Jewish, but maybe not (very) observant/practicing? I've known a few.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
raj

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2007, 03:02:12 PM »

Yes, I've got at least one Jewish friend who will observe the high holy days but also eat ham. 

Jewishness is both an ethnicity and a religion, so someone like Sammy Davis Jr. could be a Jew via religion, but not ethnically a Jew.

It's funny, both my sister and our (now late) cousin both married Jewish men and converted, so the children will be thought of as Jewish.  Then I have a Jewish friend who's sister married a (IIRC) Baptist, and she also converted.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Weird News Stories  |  No More Hos For Santa « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.