Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:55:56 AM
713397 Posts in 53059 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Anybody using Windows VISTA? « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Anybody using Windows VISTA?  (Read 10364 times)
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2007, 12:42:55 AM »

I'm learning... but I can't tell you at this moment how much I am despising VISTA.  I have all of my music migrated to this machine, and I'm playing albums and mixes I had created... I notice an arrow button in the upper right corner so I click it since there seems to be no other option for getting online information about the album which was easy with XP... it closed Windows Media Player... ?  Huh...?  The right facing arrow supplants the prominent upper right X when... when?  When Windows feels like it???   Hatred

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
flackbait
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

The fate of the last door to door salesmen

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2007, 06:52:17 PM »

I've had the joy of a new laptop for a graduation gift. I have also had the displeasure of owning windows vista that came with it. I feel bad since beggers can't be choosers but still... 
Anyways for me its not the fact that they changed the set up screen. Its the fact I can't figure out what the hell I'm doing in word. Which isn't good when you have a freaking paper due tommorow! Hatred
[
dean

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2007, 05:02:43 AM »

At least it looks pretty...

A friend of mine who works in IT hates it with a passion [along with macs and the like]

Personally I really don't care... I have my Xp and I'm happy for it to stay that way...

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
asimpson2006
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2007, 08:07:52 AM »

At least it looks pretty...

A friend of mine who works in IT hates it with a passion [along with macs and the like]

Personally I really don't care... I have my Xp and I'm happy for it to stay that way...

Most of the people I work with (IT company) don't like Macs either and hate Vista.  I don't mind Mac, I dont' think I would want to replace my pc with a mac, but it's nice to know.
odinn7

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2007, 09:36:35 PM »

I have become really used to XP as I use it at work and have it on 2 systems at home. About 2 weeks ago, I saw a sale on Compaq laptops and have been wanting one for a while now so I got it. It's not a super system but I got it mainly for internet and being able to be mobile with it...anyway...Vista Home Premium is installed...It's like starting over again with computers...nothing makes sense....and holy crap...it takes forever to start up....and talk about memory hog...the system has 1GB of RAM and I know that is the minimum they recommend (I've seen some systems being sold with 512MB and Vista installed!)...the only good thing about it is if you stick a flash drive in the USB port, it asks you if you want to use it to supplement the memory and I have done that and I do notice an improvement...it just suck that I should have to do that at all.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2007, 10:40:04 PM »

I have become really used to XP as I use it at work and have it on 2 systems at home. About 2 weeks ago, I saw a sale on Compaq laptops and have been wanting one for a while now so I got it. It's not a super system but I got it mainly for internet and being able to be mobile with it...anyway...Vista Home Premium is installed...It's like starting over again with computers...nothing makes sense....and holy crap...it takes forever to start up....and talk about memory hog...the system has 1GB of RAM and I know that is the minimum they recommend (I've seen some systems being sold with 512MB and Vista installed!)...the only good thing about it is if you stick a flash drive in the USB port, it asks you if you want to use it to supplement the memory and I have done that and I do notice an improvement...it just suck that I should have to do that at all.
Thumbup  I have XP on my old computer, which is just to my left, and I'm on it an inordinate amount of time considering this hot new monster is right here and should be making my life easier.  I have already had a problem with a "trojan horse" (one of those redirect b*tches that fortunately, at least, did not work right either... so, I never got to whatever horrible page it was intending to redirect me to).  I have since largely been using Firefox for browsing (also has its lame moments) however, all of this is indicative of the promised improvement in Windows security!??  (I had Spy Sweeper and Trend Micro installed as well).  Boulderdash !!   Hatred

Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2008, 09:53:00 AM »

My old computer finally died (no more Windows 98 for me).  Like Odinn7 said, nothing makes sense.  I don't think I'll be able to use my printer/copier/scanner, I spent about 5 hours yesterday downloading the new driver from HP and it just isn't working.  At first the downloaded driver seemed to disappear, then I figured out the security wasn't letting it download.  But of course it didn't tell me this, it just seemed to download and then it wasn't anywhere to be found on my computer.  Not that I can figure out how the hell to look for something - whatever happened to being able to display a simple file tree?  So I made the HP site a "trusted site" (okay, two hours wasted figuring that out), then it downloaded, but for some reason it told me I didn't have permission to place it in the program files directory.  Would I care to place it in Jack's folder?  If not I should contact the system administrator.  Oh...what the f***?  I never set up an administrator, it's my home pc.  There was some swearing at that point.  Anyhow, a couple of hours later I finally got the new driver downloaded and was trying to install it, and though it recognizes my printer, it won't communicate with it.  Installation failed.  From looking around the net, I've read that Hewlett Packard's updated driver for Vista apparently doesn't work.  They suggest I buy a new HP product. 

So the fact that the printer won't work is HP's fault, the fact that it took me all evening to figure that out is Vista's fault.  Other than that, I guess I can't really b***h too much.  Well, I'd like to print something but I guess they don't really give a damn.  It will take me a while to figure out how to do things that used to be simple, but I guess I'd get that with any new system.  Most of the stuff I did went fairly smoothly, downloaded anti-virus software, downloaded another program, accessed the internet and set up my e-mail, etc.  This internet browser kind of sucks, I've got Google search down in the system tray, and a Google toolbar (a tad redundant?) and the actual browser toolbar is mostly empty space, but I guess I just think it looks weird because it's new.  It took me half an hour to figure out how to get the DVD tray to open.  You'd think they could stick a little button in some noticeable place for that, but no.  You basically have to go into Windows media player to find an eject button.  Of course I wanted to load software, not play a freakin' CD, but whatever.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 09:57:14 AM by Jack » Logged

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2008, 02:15:05 PM »

I hear your pain, Jack!   Thumbup 
My HP printer driver does lots of weird sh*t and does not work as I'd expect it to (perfect, just like VISTA) all of the menu options are moved or changed or renamed (snappy names are all over VISTA like "Rip" or "Burn" or "Quick Print...")  Lookingup 
The way my new printer scans is basically to scan TWICE.  I am not liking HP these days.  And I hate VISTA.   Hatred

Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2008, 02:49:20 PM »

I have been working with computers for years and years.  I played around with Vista at the store for a while.  I think that I'd rather have command line again (I frequently use it when working on the website anyway - but that is Linux). 

As you pointed out, Vista is even less intuitive than Microsoft's other products - and that is saying something.

Years ago, when Windows was in its first incarnation, Norton released Commander.   This was a directory tree style front-end for DOS machines.   It worked like a charm.  Fast, easy convienant.   Not really pretty, but it beat Windows 1.0 (or what have you) into the ground. 

My new toy (the laptop) has Vista, and its not BAD.  I had to disable some of the "helpful" functions.   but I'm no more annoyed tthan I was when Vista came out.   I will say it seems very stable. 
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Inyarear
Bad Movie Lover

Slimo! Slimo! Slimo!

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2008, 01:36:28 AM »

Well, my dad's new computer has it. It's all right for doing most basic tasks, and I got it to work fine with most of the accessories from his old computer (which ran Windows 98SE), but it does very much have to be bent to the user's will before it's much good. That is, once it's loaded, you have to go through it with a careful attention to detail, wiping out all of the "helpful" new features, such as the desktop gadgets and the paranoid security system. (That latter "feature" in particular is to blame for that irritating little warning window that keeps popping up practically every time you open a program.) It runs a whole lot of bloatware on startup that takes up a lot of processing power (hence the slowness), and you have to stop this stuff from starting.

You also have to clean out some of the programs that come with it, such as its pre-installed version of Internet Explorer, which in my father's case had so many crappy bells and whistles on it that I finally just got my dad a copy of Mozilla Firefox and told him to use that instead. In general, Windows Vista reminds me a lot of how Windows XP behaved when I first got a computer running it: I treated every request it made for access to the outside world as a possible hacking attempt from some treasure-hunting thief. Once you've killed off all of Vista's attempts to bring you "important offers" from the aforementioned gold-diggers and stripped out the stuff you'll never need, then you can begin installing the stuff you want--if you can find the proper drivers for it, which sometimes don't exist.

In the case of this particular computer, there was a hardware problem as well: it didn't even have any parallel port on the back! Fortunately, the old printer he was using did have a USB port on it as well, and of course there are lots of USB ports on every computer manufactured these days. Still, I thought for a while that we might have to attach the printer to an older computer and network to it from there.

Now that I've done all that, the thing pretty much works fine for everything we need it to do. In terms of stability, I'd say the real problem with it is that it's too stable--if it gets confused about some program, it more or less freezes whatever that program's doing and just lets it hang there forever. The OS never crashes, but sometimes it won't let you close the program or start a new instance of it until you restart the computer.

In other words, it's a lot like an NTFS version of Windows ME, except without the blue screens of death.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2008, 01:34:05 PM »

Update:  Never did get the old HP printer to work with this new computer.  Got a new Canon printer - 100% Vista compatible.  So imagine my surprise when I had exactly the same problem with the new one.  Bought a new USB cable since it kept telling me "Device is not responding".  Made no difference.  A few days later I found a brand new USB cable I had stashed in the back of a drawer.  Must be one of Murphy's laws.  Anyhow, after several days of trying to download new drivers, figure out where Vista puts them, figure out what drivers Vista is looking for, I finally took it to the Geek Squad at Best Buy.  Yes, I admitted defeat.  Printer works now, $30 later. 

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
odinn7

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2008, 03:24:51 PM »

LOL! That's sad, isn't it?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Anybody using Windows VISTA? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.