Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 07:32:37 PM
714191 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7733 Members
Latest Member: Mamie94489
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  The Recession of 08 « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Recession of 08  (Read 2925 times)
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« on: December 06, 2007, 09:24:17 AM »

All the republican presidential candidates are apparently going to "cut taxes".   The laffer curve, a economic discovery by economist named laffer,  proved that basically lower taxes means higher revenues becaue people are more likely to PRODUCE stuff if they aren't taxed too much for it.  If you havve a 90% tax rate, you aren't going to go out and work very hard for 1/10 of what you earned.

This is not to point out the 2 or 3 things I know about the economy but to say" so what?  We don't have a tax problem we have a SPENDING problem.  Our federal budget is 3 TRILLION dollars a year.  It mainly goes to subsidize things we don't need or use,  aid to countries that hate us (mostly) and beaurocracy.  and of course,  most of the worlds military spending.

So ourgovernment is not only BORROWING a ton of money, they are DEBASING our currency by printing more dollars.  Anyone who has been out of the country recently knows exactly what I'm talking about.  A few years ago 80 cents buoght you a Euro, now that same bill will cost you 1.40 something. 

We are a due for a correction so be prepared

Economic Outlook 2008: Darkening Clouds
by Dom Armentano

Presidential election years usually are not recessionary but next year will be an exception. Several economic factors are colliding in an almost perfect storm to markedly slow the general economy and the stock market.

The most important signal flashing recession is, of course, the sub-prime mortgage fiasco. After years of monetary inflation on the part of the Federal Reserve, individuals and families with poor credit were suckered into low-down-payment/low-interest adjustable mortgages that simply cannot be maintained or repaid under current conditions. Their incentive is to sell the property quickly before their equity evaporates and/or the financial institution repossesses it. Yet the massive oversupply of homes and condos for sale has pushed prices down at a record clip and made additional foreclosures even more likely. Next year, unfortunately, will be the Year of the Auction.

The financial institutions have also been punished…well sort of. Various institutions including hedge funds that hold these poorly performing debt obligations have been forced (by accounting rules) to "write down" the value of these assets, take huge paper losses in the bargain, and pull in their financial horns. Thus, any near-term recovery in housing must now fight a record supply availability, falling prices, higher insurance costs and restricted credit…a near-term impossibility in my view.

Moreover, the slowdown in residential and commercial construction will send secondary ripple effects throughout the economy. Laid-off construction workers don't spend money. Construction and home furnishing suppliers sell less output and make fewer investments. Even local governments will be pinched by declining property-tax assessments and fewer developer fees. Things are likely to get worse before they get any better.

The second major factor indicating a near-term recession is the sky-high price of crude oil and refined product. Pushed upward by world-wide speculative Mid-East war fears and increases in demand (especially from China), increasing energy prices act as an inflationary "tax" on domestic production and consumption throughout the market economy. Higher costs of production will lower profits; higher prices will reduce some consumption. The only good news here is that any substantial economic slowdown in 2008 will eventually moderate the price of oil and other commodity prices as well.

The third factor in the current recession scenario – and the real wild card – is the continuing decline in the value of the dollar in international money markets caused by our Iraq blunder and the Federal Reserve–generated oversupply of dollars. Some economists would argue that a devalued dollar is good for U.S. exports, and thus positive for the economy as a whole. I disagree for three reasons.

First, the bulk of crude oil purchases takes place in dollars; a falling dollar translates into still higher crude oil prices. Second, the U. S. dollar is the major reserve currency of the international monetary system and dollar-paying investments (such as U.S. Treasury bills and bonds) are held in massive amounts by foreign banks and governments. Dollar devaluation makes these investments less attractive and any disinvestment in these areas would sharply drive bond prices down and increase interest rates.

The third reason why dollar devaluation makes recession more likely is that it effectively prevents the Federal Reserve from pushing U.S. interest rates much lower. Any additional Fed easing (inflation) would be seen as a signal of even further future dollar devaluation and even higher dollar prices for oil. Unfortunately, we will not be able to "inflate" our way out of this recession this time. We will simply have to take our lumps and let market forces liquidate the bulk of the malinvestments caused by the unprecedented Greenspan money bubble. This liquidation process will not be pretty but it is necessary to restore a sustainable economic recovery in the years ahead.

December 6, 2007

Dom Armentano [send him mail] is Professor Emeritus at the University of Hartford (CT) and the author of Antitrust and Monopoly (Independent Institute, 1998) and Antitrust: The Case for Repeal (Mises Institute, 1999). He has published articles, op/eds and reviews in The New York Times, Wall Street Journal, London Financial Times, Financial Post, Hartford Courant, National Review, Antitrust Bulletin and many other journals.
evildeadchick187
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 11:28:19 AM »

I have to agree that our problem is spending and Ron Paul also realizes this.He is republican but as far as I know he is not one for the whole tax uproar. I find a lot of his views understandable.
   I watched the republican debate last week and that was a big ordeal but Ron made it clear that he wants to cut spending.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 07:48:52 PM by evildeadchick187 » Logged

This is my boomstick
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 03:41:26 PM »

evildeadchick-  I am a HUGE Ron paul supporter, if you search this section back a month or so there was a thread or two on him started by myself. 

But even if hell were to freeze over and he was elected, it would not be in time for this economists' prediction for 08.
evildeadchick187
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 07:48:08 PM »

I couldn't agree with you more, I will have to look for that thread. thank you for a good interesting read. karma to you

This is my boomstick
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007, 10:12:01 AM »

thank you sister i certainly could use some as you can plainly see

also:

it's starting

this is what the author is talking about. 
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  The Recession of 08 « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.