Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:07:28 AM
713384 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut  (Read 2689 times)
D-Man
Bad Movie Lover

Only my head is tiny...

« on: December 31, 2007, 09:50:10 PM »

I recently got this DVD as a Christmas present, mainly out of interest of owning both versions of this film, already having the Richard Lester version on DVD as well.  Having not heard too much of the advance buzz around the Richard Donner cut, I was expecting it to be little more than basically the same likable, if somewhat goof ball film with Marlon Brando footage they couldn't use before...boy, was I wrong. 

*Warning: Possible spoilers ahead*

Superman II: The Richard Donner cut feels like so much more of a complete film than the Lester version could ever hope to be.  The scene where Lois finally discovers Clark Kent's true identity is far, far more clever and fun in this version, for one thing, and the little bit of extra footage from the Metropolis fight against Zod and his cronies goes a long way.

But there are two major things that bolster this version of the film...one is the restored footage of Marlon Brando as Jor-El.  The intense, and heartfelt scenes between him and Christopher Reeve help to tie in and complete the story that began in the first film.  The second improvement is the new music...music is very important to a film like this, and I always felt that Ken Thorne's somewhat hack-y score from the Lester version hurt the original Superman II a little.  But now, John Williams has rectified this with his unmistakable style, and flawless reproductions of the familiar Superman themes. 

The only thing I wasn't too sure about was the ending...to me, having Superman go for his "turn back time" method from the last film seemed like a bit of a cop-out...although not as much of a cop-out as the "magic kiss" from the Lester cut, I have to admit. 

I've never been too impressed by most directors cuts, but Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut is a major exception.  If you haven't seen it yet, then I highly recommend that you do.   

And yes...in this version, they got rid of that stupid plastic "S" attack that came out from nowhere.
Kooshmeister
The King of Koosh!
Bad Movie Lover

Must have caffeine...

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 04:08:04 AM »

Incidentally, I waited to see Superman II in any form until I got ths DVD. Prior to this I had just seen the first film, Superman IV and Superman Returns. I'd never seen II (and I have no desire to see III). Whether I was consciously waiting for Donner's cut or not, I can't say. I'm just glad my first viewing of the first sequel was this version of it. I just wish they'd kept in the scene showing Luthor and Zod being arrested so we don't think they're still inside the Fortress of Solitude when Superman blows it up.

And, D-Man, Superman turning time was actually always intended for the end of the second film. In the first film Superman was supposed to throw the nuclear missiles into space where they would collide with the Phantom Zone, freeing Zod. But after Donner got canned, I think they decided to give the first film a more definite ending and so used the turning-back-time power, then introduced the subplot with the terrorist bomb as a means of freeing Zod at the beginning of the second film.

Other random behind the scenes info I learned from reading the original script(s) for Superman and Superman II is that there were originally supposed to be four Kryptonian villains imprisoned in the Phantom Zone - in addition to Zod, Non and Ursa there was a fourth guy named Jak-El who from what I can tell was wisely excised. Similarly, in that draft Luthor had a second henchman in addition to Otis, a guy named Albert - who unlike Jak-El I wish they'd kept because he was more intelligent than Otis and Luthor needed a smart henchman to balance out his dumb one, I thought.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 04:13:36 AM by Kooshmeister » Logged
asimpson2006
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 07:46:29 AM »

Well I haven't seen the "original" Superman II, just he RDC version of the film.  I enjoyed it, but now I have to watch the original Superman II to see the differences.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.