Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:07:08 AM
713409 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Stinky Cheeses « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Stinky Cheeses  (Read 5135 times)
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« on: December 11, 2007, 09:48:00 AM »

This dude had a stinky cheese epiphany.  imagine that

Dirty rotten stinky cheeses and the wines that love them

If the thought of cheese conjures up images of bland snack food hermetically sealed in cellophane sheets, cardboard tubes or aerosol cans, it's time to wake up and smell the aromas. There's a universe of cheese out there that will either completely disgust you—or change your life. Ya baby, I'm talking about stinky cheeses, the bacterial mutations that are covered in festering mold. The kind that if you get them just ripe enough will ooze like slime and emit an aroma that will make your dirty socks smell like the latest Calvin Klein fragrance by comparison. In other words, cheese nirvana.

Like a glistening pearl in a barnacle covered oyster shell, stinky cheeses offer a gastronomic bonanza to those who can get past its appearance—and of course, its nearly toxic fumes. The reward for persevering is a decidedly unstinky taste sensation that saturates every last taste bud with a robust, creamy, yet tangy fusion of flavors. I was inducted into the world of stinky fromage during a wine trip to Bordeaux. In no time, I found myself neglecting the elaborate multi-course meals in order to save room for the cheese service that inevitably follows every grandiose French dinner. Years later, my true stinky cheese epiphany happened at Mraz + Sohn, a restaurant in Vienna, Austria. After a sumptuous meal, I bolted for the cheese cart to survey the odiferous delicacies. Half jokingly, I asked the waitress where the really, really stinky cheeses were. Without missing a beat, she pulled out a drawer to reveal the holy grail of mold-covered, runny cheeses. The motley assemblage looked as threatening as it did appealing. The uninitiated might have turned and run, but I asked for a taste of each, along with a glass of Penfolds Bin 389 Cabernet-Shiraz (her recommendation). The gloriously pungent French cheeses, alongside a wine that was exploding with ripe supple fruit created a spine-tingling culinary orgasm. It was the closest I have ever come to a perfect marriage of food and wine.

In my never-ending quest to help you get a lot out of life, regardless of what your lot in life is, I set out to learn why the artisan cheeses they eat in Europe are so different from what we have all grown up to accept as cheese in America.

I soon discovered that the nose numbing smell and moldy rind that are the hallmarks of stinky cheese are the result of polycultures and bacterias that form on the outer skin of the cheese as it ripens. As it is aged, the cheese skin absorbs the earthiness of the damp cellars, and the mold that develops on the rind, called bacillus linens, generates an ammonia-like smell. Some of the finished cheeses are also "washed" in locally produced spirits, such as marc, a rough Burgundian brandy, which ferments the natural fats and adds another layer of complexity to the already heady aromas.

There is another element that contributes to the difference between European and American cheeses, although there are dissenting opinions as to its importance. In America, most cheeses are required by law to be pasteurized, a process that heats the milk to 161ęF degrees, and kills the potentially dangerous bacterias (and unfortunately some of the flavor). In France where the cheese is not required to be pasteurized, the milk is heated to a lower temperature, which preserves the integrity of the raw ingredients. Of course the quality of the milk itself, which is determined by what the cows graze upon, is also a key factor. Then there is the issue of making the cheese to suit the taste of the consumer. European cheeses are crafted to meet European tastes which tend to be bigger, bolder and less convenience-driven. Most of the French cheeses imported to America, such as familiar cheese tray staples like brie and camembert conform to American regulations and tastes. This double fault produces much milder cheeses. They may be French, but they are not Frrrench.

There is no question that stinky cheese is an acquired taste. But if you hold your nose and take the leap, you may never wrestle with a cellophane wrapper again.

stinky link
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 11:07:54 AM »

I've got no problem with the soft, mouldy cheeses, although I tend to only buy the premium cheeses as a treat when nobody's around, since I'm the only one in the house who can eat cheese. Had some nice cambozola and wheat thins just last week. Not really a stinky cheese, but rather like a camembert with a rather substantial fungus growing through it. Kind of a hybrid of camembert and gorgonzola, hence the name.

The only really stinky thing about it was the ammonia coming off the rind, which seems to be common among the supermarket camemberts and bries these days. Spoils an otherwise great cheese. I don't recall it being a problem until a couple of years ago. I hate to cut off the rind because it's a waste of good cheese.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 11:11:43 AM »

that's intersting because what inspired this topic was a cheese i bought my brother in law for his birthday.  the rind was really stinky, not the cheese.  i'm going to go ahead and blame the FDA, federal government beacuse that is what I tend to do.  and i'm usually right
raj
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 12:17:04 PM »

I'm allergic to mold, so no stinky cheeses for me.

Not that I'm complaining.
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 12:28:36 AM »

Blatant PLug... try the Rogue River Blue CHeese if you can get it.  A premium blue cheese packed in grape leaves and soaked in pear brandy!   Its wonderful. 

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 09:05:57 AM »

Give me Jarlsburg or give me some other taste type. I'm a cheese junky.

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 10:10:36 AM »

This threat made me hungry, so while I was picking up dinner ingredients yesterday, I took a look at the cheese section. With Christmas on the way, it's particularly well stocked.

And there it was. A nice package of Limburger. This is something that has largely disappeared from grocery store cheese sections.

I don't know how this got the reputation of being the stinkiest of cheeses. The smell is pungent, but not overly strong. It's mostly in the rind, with the cheese inside a rich, creamy, mild treat. The rind just gives it a nice bite to complement the richness. Mmmmmm.

If I'd been thinking, I would have gotten some sandwich fixings. Limburger on dark rye with sliced red onion and a beer. OK, now I'm hungry again.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2007, 12:00:05 PM »

You ain't talking stinky, unless you're talking Limburger.

When my parents were just married, they had this female cat. And they had set some Limburger on the kitchen counter. The cat came into the kitchen, smelled the Limburger, dragged it off the counter and behind the stove, and for good measure, sprayed it as well.
Raffine

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2007, 06:35:39 PM »

Cheese doesn't get more stinky and outrageous than Casu marzu:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casu_marzu

The statement "Some people clear the larvae from the cheese before consuming; others do not" pretty much tells you all you need to know about this contraband cheese.

HINTS FROM HELOISE:
If the maggots are still wiggling it's a good sign the cheese hasn't turned toxic... yet.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Killer Bees
Newly Appointed Government Employee and

Never give up on love

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2007, 09:50:10 PM »

In the movie Wallace and Gromit: Curse Of The Wererabbit (which I highly recommend by the way) is a fictional cheese called "Stinking Bishop"  *lmao*

Gotta love the Brits taking the p**s out of themselves!

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Bring back what once was mine
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
Bring back what once was mine
What once was mine.......
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2008, 11:12:28 PM »

It's not fictional, I have a chunk of it sitting on my counter right now. .

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Torgo

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2008, 11:19:02 PM »

This thread has given me the excuse to post this classic sketch again:

Small | Large

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2008, 01:22:25 AM »

In my humble view America will never be able to compete with the rest of the world in the art of cheese making until it universally allows the sale of cheese made with unpasteurized milk. That process destroys flavor. If you've had it overseas you know the difference. If it comes in plastic, too...it's automatically inferior to what's "living" in cheesecloth.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2008, 01:23:50 AM »

Prognosis: GREAT cheese. Smooth, creamy, a taste I can not really describe, , but it does stink. Like a nasty, forgotten, overfilled dumpster the collectors forgot about weeks ago it stinks, but really, it's a great tasting cheese, and I've been to a cheese dairy in Holland. I'd suggest anyone that likes cheese in the least try it at least once.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Stinky Cheeses « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.