Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:57:13 AM
714308 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Congress proposes new federal agency to enforce copyright law... « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Congress proposes new federal agency to enforce copyright law...  (Read 5835 times)
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« on: December 07, 2007, 08:35:32 AM »

....and wants to give them the right to seize your computer! Of course this has made the MPAA all grins and giggles.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071206-congress-copyright-reform-seize-computers-boost-penalties-spend-money.html

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 08:58:59 AM »

More and more right slipping away. I'm all for busting the big bootlegger, but the bill needs to lose the language about seizing family computers for so called illegal downloads.

I agree with this statement ...

"Gigi Sohn, president of Public Knowledge, said in a statement, "seizing expensive manufacturing equipment used for large-scale infringement from a commercial pirate may be appropriate. Seizing a family's general-purpose computer in a download case, as this bill would allow, is not appropriate."

Doesn't this country have bigger problems to worry about?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 09:05:47 AM by CheezeFlixz » Logged

asimpson2006
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 11:55:03 AM »

More and more right slipping away. I'm all for busting the big bootlegger, but the bill needs to lose the language about seizing family computers for so called illegal downloads.

I agree with this statement ...

"Gigi Sohn, president of Public Knowledge, said in a statement, "seizing expensive manufacturing equipment used for large-scale infringement from a commercial pirate may be appropriate. Seizing a family's general-purpose computer in a download case, as this bill would allow, is not appropriate."

Doesn't this country have bigger problems to worry about?

We do have bigger problems to worry about, like how we are going to get out of this war, but remember if some big shot famous person can't buy a summer home in another country b/c someone illegally downloaded a movie, that's more important.
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 12:08:26 PM »

The studios are all worried about a snowball effect.  That and being forced to change their current business plan, due to the changing face of the world.  Don't you worry that a new version of copyright would probably be much better for society than the current system.

Well, obviously it is time for me to pull out the addresses of my home state's two Senators and one Representative (DE - we're small) and send them a letter telling them what I think of the proposed law.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 01:00:20 PM »

What's funny (in a way) is that the whole publishing industry is undergoing severe gyrations due to the 'modern' age of public information exchange.

I have done some consulting work on various textbook projects for some of the big houses like McGraw-Hill and Houghton Mifflin.  They are all in a scramble in how to hold on to their business model in the age of the Internet.  Wiley, Elsevier and the other peer review journal publishers are also in a similar scramble.

The copyright laws are probably going to be re-written many times over the next 10-20 years.  So long as the big boys throw money in to try to protect their interests, the laws will reflect 'their will.'  The key problem is that they no longer have a monopoly on 'information exchange,' and the cat is out of the bag, so to speak.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 04:27:37 PM »

The problem with the RIAA is the same, there current business model (ripping off the artists) isn't working anymore. CD sales have actually gone down since they started their little crusade or going after kids, little old ladies, and dead folks for illegal downloads.

I read an article the other day that WalMart had informed Sony BMG and Warners that they are going to pull all their music in the WMA format off their download siite betwee mid-December and mid-January if they don't provide them with MP3's of said music.

Walmart wants to provide both formats, which to me means the WMA (with DRM) files will go away eventually, because no one wants the restrictions they entail.

http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/content_display/industry/e3i6efb69eb2243cb842be35f0eab40082d

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
316zombie
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 05:00:34 PM »

so how am i supposed to know if a downloading site is legal or not?and how do they catch me? i don't get it at all! a lady here in wichita was fined 28 thou because her teenagers and their friends were downloading music and sharing their files,she knew nothing about it,but she has now lost her home to pay the fine!!
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2007, 06:08:20 PM »

Here is my question if I bought a 8-track of any artist and by buying that 8-track I have paid for the rights to that album for personal use, why can't I download a update media for a song I already own?

Company want you to pay for every form of media you have a song in, 78, 45, 33, 8 track, Cassette, DAT, CD, mp3 or whatever and I think that is double, triple, quadruple dipping. I've already paid for the song once, the song! Only a very small amount went to cover the cost of the media. So on in the digital age if I already own a license to a song, then I shouldn't have to pay for it again just to have it on a different media. I'll pay for the media, but I won't pay twice or three times for something I've already paid for.

flackbait

The fate of the last door to door salesmen

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007, 10:09:19 PM »

....and wants to give them the right to seize your computer! Of course this has made the MPAA all grins and giggles.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071206-congress-copyright-reform-seize-computers-boost-penalties-spend-money.html

If I ever get wind their coming to take my computer I'll smash it before I give it too them. Or scramble the hard drive.
Jim H

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2007, 03:26:21 PM »

Here is my question if I bought a 8-track of any artist and by buying that 8-track I have paid for the rights to that album for personal use, why can't I download a update media for a song I already own?

Company want you to pay for every form of media you have a song in, 78, 45, 33, 8 track, Cassette, DAT, CD, mp3 or whatever and I think that is double, triple, quadruple dipping. I've already paid for the song once, the song! Only a very small amount went to cover the cost of the media. So on in the digital age if I already own a license to a song, then I shouldn't have to pay for it again just to have it on a different media. I'll pay for the media, but I won't pay twice or three times for something I've already paid for.

You'd be within your rights to convert it to MP3 yourself.  Well, within your moral rights.  It might technically be an infringement (I've heard varying things) but one thing is certain - no one who merely converted old albums to MP3s has EVER been sued for it.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Congress proposes new federal agency to enforce copyright law... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.