Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:44:01 PM
713368 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Rent a Rasta (2006) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Rent a Rasta (2006)  (Read 1771 times)
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« on: December 15, 2007, 02:45:27 PM »

I was doing some random searches on netflix and realized you could search entire genres using number of stars given as criteria.  I went right to the worst ones and found this:

Rent a Rasta

About 80,000 women flock to Jamaica every year, many for more than its sunny beaches. This provocative documentary examines the island's sex tourism, as women from around the world come to get their groove back. The film also delves into the Rastafarian faith, distinguishing island playboys from the real-life Rastas. J. Michael Seyfert's film about cultural misunderstandings and socioeconomic inequities amplifies voices not often heard.

User reviews

PK 1711935

What an unfocused mess! While purporting to be about Jamaican 'sex-tourism', this film mentions that subject only only 2 or 3 times, and seemingly ONLY as the basis for the director's misogynistic comments. At 43 min, this film is 35 min too long... AVOID.

ML 1480772

I love Jamaica and I love its people. I hated this nearly unintelligable movie. To be honest, the title is what attracted us to rent it as one can more or less see "that" sort of thing happening in the tourist areas. OK, we were curious. The movie is actually a pathetic and poorly executed political statement about the plight of the Rasta people. I'm very sympathetic, by the way. This was misleading and the director couldn't even get a cogent message accross regarding his real agenda. Sad in that it doesn't even generate good will for the very people it seems to want to support. Basically a very badly edited film that is difficult to understand and has virtually nothing whatsoever to offer regarding the title. Could have been a reaally great sociology study, but it just plain stinks. Sorry.

DC Tanya

I'm a huge documentary fan but this is by far the worse I've ever seen. As previous reviewers have noted, this movie has absolutely NOTHING to do with the title. I fast forwarded through most of it because you can't understand anything that's being said. It is unfocused and pointless. I wish I had read the reviews before I rented it and wasted 45 minutes of my time.

this guy kind of liked it
PS 813147

First off, the soundtrack even on the menu screen is bomb. Its excellent rub a dub music. Secondly, its a real look at culture through the eyes of one camera. you make your own opinion. Its a good look at how far things have come. Its a good history lesson too.

GraveShooter

Yet another movie that would make a great drinking game... every time someone says "Jah Rastafari", take a drink. You should be smashed in about 10 minutes.

TM 238676

In the interest of beating a truly dead horse, this is probably the worst documentary I've ever seen. As mentioned below by other commenters, the purported subject of the movie is touched on briefly for about 5 minutes maximum. After that it's a rambling mess of ridiculous Rastafarian nonsense. There aren't even any "interviews" with the filmmakers asking questions of the Jamaicans. Just a bunch of aimless, stoned babbling by Rastas. And then, mercifully, it's over abruptly. Huh? Everything of value in this piece of junk could be contained in 1 minute of video. Astoundingly bad.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Rent a Rasta (2006) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.