Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 12:54:44 AM
714253 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Showdown at Area 51 « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Showdown at Area 51  (Read 5020 times)
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« on: December 16, 2007, 09:15:46 AM »

Just caught this on the Sci-Fi Channel last night.  It was actually fairly entertaining (and I was fairly drunk).  Gigi Edgeley (Chiana from Farscape) co-starred in it.  I can't believe the commercials for it didn't feature her at all, it would have probably quadrupled the number of people who would have watched it.  Anyhow, two aliens come to Earth and begin fighting each other using some high tech gizmos and stuff.  One of them is good and wants to save humanity, the other is bad and wants to destroy us and invade our planet.  They're both humans by the way.  Yeah, the special effects budget wasn't all that high.  There's some sort of big thing buried in the ground that is going to release some gas or something and kill us all.  Chiana and the main guy need to stop it with the help of one of the aliens. 

Fun stuff.  Gigi does the tight tank top thing, and looks mahvelous.  The plot moved along pretty well and had it's share of bad movie moments that were worth a chuckle.  Actually it had quite a few of those moments, like at the end when:

SPOILERS

There's this huge invasion fleet of spaceships approaching Earth, but then the poison gas thing is deactivated, so they instantly turn around and go home.  Like, wouldn't it have perhaps made more sense to bring the poison gas thing with them on their ships, instead of prepositioning it on Earth where us humans would have ample opportunity to deactivate it?  Oh well, better luck next time.  You learn something new with every attempted planetary invasion I guess.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 09:59:58 AM by Jack » Logged

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Kester Pelagius
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Not a Time Lord!

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 11:09:34 AM »

From my most recent rant posted at: Mise-en-Scene Crypt Blog.

Despite a pretty decent first few minutes in which UFO themed tropes were used to shockingly decent effect this sci-fi original movie quickly hits several speed bumps that shatter any modicum of suspension of disbelief that had been established. Worse the movie quickly careens off the road and runs into a cesspool of moth eaten clichés, threadbare logic, ludicrous plot devices, and the sort of just plain in-your-face ignorance that inflicts mental suffering and anguish that would make baby Buddha weep.

Full rant here.  That said. .

Just caught this on the Sci-Fi Channel last night.  It was actually fairly entertaining (and I was fairly drunk).

Whenever you have to qualify your statement with the caveat of being drunk it's never a good a thing.   Wink

Gigi Edgeley (Chiana from Farscape) co-starred in it.

Yet was nowhere to be seen in the first 39 minutes.

I can't believe the commercials for it didn't feature her at all, it would have probably quadrupled the number of people who would have watched it.

Actually that's what got me to ignore my better judgement and tune in, a commercial that mentioned she was in this.

Anyhow, two aliens come to Earth and<...>

I've since looked this up on IMDB dot com, where it's title is given as ALIEN VS. ALIEN.  That says it all.

The plot moved along pretty well and had it's share of bad movie moments that were worth a chuckle.

I'm sorry but it has to be said. .

No, you were drunk.  It only SEEMED like the 'plot' moved along 'pretty' well because the movie was neither pretty nor had much of a plot.  It was actually quite ludicrous.

But you are right about the bad movie moments.  I'm guessing not even THAT could be dulled by a mere drunken stupor.  And, based on your too lucid comments, you were merely slightly buzzed.  Which is far more than I was.  That's right I tried to watch it stone cold sober!   Hatred

TongueOut

Cosmic Cinema - SF articles and reviews.

Mise-en-scene Crypt - Rants, reviews, & more! (10% NSFW)
316zombie
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 01:36:09 PM »

kester,are you insane???? it took 4 tallboys for ME to get through it,and i'm not exactly an amazon woman,that's a lot of beer!i admit,i went into fits of hysterical laughter when the ships just..left...it was too funny for words,lol!
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 02:37:26 PM »

That's right I tried to watch it stone cold sober!   Hatred

TongueOut

Now that took some courage  TeddyR

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Kester Pelagius
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Not a Time Lord!

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 06:45:45 PM »

Courage or lunancy.   Lookingup

Cosmic Cinema - SF articles and reviews.

Mise-en-scene Crypt - Rants, reviews, & more! (10% NSFW)
Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

It's neVer over!

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2007, 08:25:42 PM »

So, am I harming myself more by being a teetotaller? I don't care

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverspherechannel
For the latest on the fifth installment in Don Coscarelli's Phantasm saga.
Captain Tars Tarkas
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2007, 09:50:37 PM »

I wish they had kept the original title Alien vs. Alien.

Dave M
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2007, 10:52:49 PM »

And worked in some kind of custody dispute sub-plot.
ghouck
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 02:48:12 PM »

And worked in some kind of custody dispute sub-plot.

Lol, I hope I'm not the only one that got that joke. . funny. . ..

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Foywonder
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2007, 05:16:07 PM »

I saw this one on Saturday night, was fully sober at the time, and thought it was an absolute hoot. It's ludicrous alrighty, but it really is pretty fun to watch. Anyone who claims mental anguish after watching this film clearly has a low constitution for cheesy movies and obviously hasn't subjected themselves to many Sci-Fi Channel original movies because I can assure you this was far and away one of the most enjoyably watchable films they aired all year.

NOW SHOWING IN FOYEURISM:
GOLDEN BAT - Feast your eyes on the wildest, wackiest, funkiest, Chiba-est Japanese superhero movie you've probably never heard of
B-WARE THE BLOG! - My blog devoted to the schlocktastic!
316zombie
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2007, 05:23:17 PM »

you're not alone ghouck,lol!
not mental anguish,my dear,total boredom for me!well,maybe that IS mental anguish?really,if it had been shorter,or maybe if i saw it without commercials,i'd like it better,but like all scifi originals(excepting tinman),TOO much filler...
Snivelly
Bad Movie Lover

....a heady mix of ignorance and enthusiasm.

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2007, 08:55:41 PM »

I watched this one with a friend of mine and laughed hysterically the whole show.  THIS is what a bad movie should be.....crap acting, very little dialogue, cheap CGI effects and plot holes that Godzilla could stomp through.  Serious fun, and I have to admit as bad as it was I'd sit through it again.  But I'd have a bit more alcohol this time.   Twirling

BTW, it was great to see Ms. Edgely in something again.  Shame it was such a turkey of a film.

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't the sport for you.
Foywonder
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2007, 09:57:15 PM »

Boring? Anyone who thought this was boring, had too much filler, or was generally unwatchable should be strapped down and forced to sit through such other recent Sci-Fi Channel originals as:

EYE OF THE BEAST
CERBERUS
CROC
BLACK HOLE
EARTHSTORM
STAN LEE'S HARPIES
STAN LEE'S LIGHTSPEED
BATS: HUMAN HARVEST
MANEATER
FIRE SERPENT

I'll just stop there. The point being if you think SHOWDOWN AT AREA 51 is intolerable then let me assure you - you don't know what an unwatchable Sci-Fi Channel original movie really is.

GOLDEN BAT - Feast your eyes on the wildest, wackiest, funkiest, Chiba-est Japanese superhero movie you've probably never heard of
SynapticBoomstick
Cinematic Monster Fanatic from Weird New Jersey
Bad Movie Lover

One monster with extra cheese, hold the plot.

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2007, 10:54:27 PM »

Stan Lee's Harpies was a pretty bad movie but what was Lightspeed? Is that the supposed-to-have-come-out Feedback movie? If so, was it as hilarious as I think it is?

I really wanted to see Showdown at Area 51, it sounded like a good, standard way to spend a Saturday night, i even set a reminder for it. I missed it anyway:lookingup:. Not to be offensive or anything but anybody watching Scifi Originals for substance or anything like that is really kinda just watching the wrong channel TongueOut I love (most) of them for their excessive cheese topping, though I will agree that a few of them are too much for me.

Kleel's rule is harsh :-B
Foywonder
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2007, 11:10:50 PM »

STAN LEE'S LIGHTSPEED REVIEW
That link to my review should tell you everything you'll ever want to know about this wretched film.

Oh, and another reason why I can look upon SHOWDOWN AT AREA 51 with a favorable eye:

Feast your eyes upon ALIEN VS. HUNTER!

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Showdown at Area 51 « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.