Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 11:06:13 PM
714193 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7733 Members
Latest Member: Mamie94489
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  the heiress (1949) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: the heiress (1949)  (Read 9137 times)
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« on: January 10, 2008, 10:10:20 AM »

Though I'm sure it didn't win any awards for cinematography,  the bulk of it takes place in the drawing room of  the heiress and her fathers nice house,  this is about as good a movie as i've seen in recent memory. 

Olivia de havilland does an excellent job playing a girl with no charm.  You really do kind of wince when she opens her mouth, at least at first.  Montgomery Clift is well cast as her sort of suitor and the unvarnished truth about what people need from each other is explored in an emotionally honest and brutal way. 

thumbs up 

Complex, sophisticated and unpredictable drama

also, in this era people went to parties with little books.  There was some sort of order to the dancing music that was played and if you wanted to dance in 4 songs you would write down someones name in the 5th spot.  it's not important where or how these books were distributed.  if you dance a waltz it goes "one two three POINT one two three POINT" or something.  and if you do a good job you can call your cousin arthur a porridge (sp?) head
BoyScoutKevin
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 07:52:23 PM »

And this is the role and the film which would earn Olivia an Oscar as Best Actress.

And as an added note, the other man in the picture is the great British actor Sir Ralph Richardson.
soylentgreen
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 08:34:21 PM »

Big fan of de Havilland's here.  THE HEIRESS is a great look at the chops that manage to upstage Vivien Leigh, in my opinion.

My absolute favorite performance of hers(even above LADY IN A CAGE!  Wink ) is from THE SNAKE PIT.

What an incredible performance in a production that was, in alot of ways, well ahead of it's time.  I don't know how anybody can make it through the "Goin Home" scene without getting choked up.

I've never been disappointed by an appearance by her, though(on a BadMovies.Org note!) I get a real chuckle at the how unceremoniously Olivia, Fred MacMurray and Ben Johnson are dispatched in THE SWARM. 

That's my driver's license picture....I hate that picture!"
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 09:50:12 AM »

I've seen bits of "the snake pit" on Tm but never sat down and watched the whole thing.  So far the movies I've seen of hers are lady in the cage and this and both were excellent.
peter johnson

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 11:37:14 AM »

"The Snake Pit" must've been part of a deal for local TV station WAVY-Ch.10 when I was growing up in Virginia, as this was always being shown at 9am of a Saturday morning(!!).  Hardly childrens' fare -- the rest of the stations would be playing the usual George of the Jungle etc. -- but I was captivated by it as a young'un & years later it still holds up.
And I simply have to plug "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane" here, per our Olivia,  as fare more befitting our little group -- Creepy creepy campy campy, baby!!
peter johnson/denny crane

I have no idea what this means.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 04:49:11 PM »

And I simply have to plug "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane" here, per our Olivia,  as fare more befitting our little group -- Creepy creepy campy campy, baby!!
peter johnson/denny crane
Huh?  OLIVIA appears with BETTE in HUSH, HUSH, SWEET CHARLOTTE.   Smile

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 10:03:53 AM »

she was in Lady in a Cage which was similar to whatever happened to Baby Jane
peter johnson

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 12:26:46 PM »

Whoops!
I have to stop writing from work --
All them thar '40's stars start to blend together as one --
Yes, Hush Hush --
peter j/denny c

I have no idea what this means.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  the heiress (1949) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.