Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:51:19 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Paranormal State « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Paranormal State  (Read 7739 times)
Bmeansgood
Bad Movie Lover

« on: December 09, 2007, 11:54:51 PM »

I am looking forward to this new show on Monday night, even though it sounds kind of familiar:

PARANORMAL STATE is an upcoming half-hour series chronicling the extraordinary life of Ryan Buell and other members of the Penn State University Club The Paranormal Research Society (PRS) as they seek to find the truth behind terrifying real life mysteries, hauntings and ghosts. In some ways, the members of PRS are your basic college kids - dealing with the problems of school, dating, and finding their way in the world. The difference is that these students are drawn to examining "other" worlds as well -- working on cases that include ghosts, hauntings and other paranormal phenomena. Each week, they are contacted for help by outside parties ranging from the Catholic Church to ordinary families who are terrified by unusual events in their homes.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 11:35:23 AM »

I'm gonna check it out, see if I like it.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
RapscallionJones
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Grim & Frostbitten

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 12:47:53 PM »

I'm definitely planning on checking it out.  I can't get enough of that paranormal stuff.  I think I saw a clip of them working with a psychic, which drives me crazy, but with any luck it won't be too ridiculous.  They've been advertising the hell out of it lately.

Visit the b-movie blog
http://www.cinema-suicide.com
The required Myspace profile
http://www.myspace.com/cinemasuicide
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 07:55:48 PM »

I'm definitely planning on checking it out.  I can't get enough of that paranormal stuff.  I think I saw a clip of them working with a psychic, which drives me crazy, but with any luck it won't be too ridiculous.  They've been advertising the hell out of it lately.
Oddly enough, even with my belief in the paranormal, I can't stand or buy 'psychics.'

Bmeansgood
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 11:32:07 PM »

It had a bit too much psychic and occult stuff in it for me.  I like Ghosthunters because it doesn't put too much emphasis on people saying "I feel someone standing next to me!"  Plus this show it takes itself a little too seriously. 

I suppose I will watch it next week if Monday Night Football gets boring.  Or not. 
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 09:46:52 AM »

I ended up forgetting about it.  Monday Night RAW had a 15th Anniversary and I watched that.

RapscallionJones
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Grim & Frostbitten

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007, 07:03:32 PM »

I was pretty disappointed by the show and wrote it up at my site: http://www.cinema-suicide.com/2007/12/11/paranormal-state-on-ae/

I think the biggest problem I had with it was how easily the group dismisses the real-life environmental factors going on right in front of them in favor of fantastic, not to mention totally crazy presumptions about the nature of the hauntings.  In episode 1, the little kid who sees ghosts is peculiar, to say the least.  He lisps like a four year old, doesn't make eye contact with anyone and has a creepy cadence to his speech.  The whole thing made me think he was autistic and not necessarily psychic.  The second episode focused on a mother and son who reported activity in their house but their story was really about a particularly broken home.  Demonic presences didn't come into it until Ryan Buell injected it into the story with the whole Belial thing.  Forbidding anyone to speak its name just drove it over the edge.  Bringing Lorraine Warren into the mix didn't help matters, either.

Ryan, the ringleader, has this fanatical belief system in the paranormal that probably has something to do with his Christian upbringing mentioned in some of the On Demand promos I watched.

I'm willing to give it another try but the whole thing is couched in dark-age Catholic fear of demons and possession.  Next week has an episode featuring an exorcism and more Lorraine Warren and her spooky-scary declarations of demonic activity.

Visit the b-movie blog
Bmeansgood
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007, 08:11:05 AM »

Very nice review.  You pretty much hit it right on the head.
SynapticBoomstick
Cinematic Monster Fanatic from Weird New Jersey
Bad Movie Lover

One monster with extra cheese, hold the plot.

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2007, 11:48:22 PM »

Damn it, did it start already? I hope i didn't miss the first episode :-( I always do that  Hatred

Kleel's rule is harsh :-B
RapscallionJones
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Grim & Frostbitten

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2007, 12:33:31 PM »

Trust me, Synaptic.  You're not missing anything.  Like I said in my review, I gave it another chance on monday and it only got worse.  The first of the two episodes was just foolish, ending in an exorcism.  As before, the PRS team not only ignores environmental factors but they downright dismiss them.  Just when you think they're going to cast some skepticism, they throw it all away.  Could these people be suffering from metal illness?  Look at the condition of their squalid home.  Look at their physical condition.  Their equally fat, trashy neighbor feeds them ideas about evil spirits in their trailer!  Nonsense!  Here there be demons!

The second episode actually disgusted me and ensured that I won't waste any more time on it.  When the news that the son of a family living in an allegedly haunted house took some sleeping pills and never woke up, the PRS team gets a psychic on the god damn telephone to tell the grieving mother that her dead son is still in the house and an evil spirit won't let him leave.  To boot, the psychic then says that because of the spirit and the haunting, the death of her son was a suicide. 

f**k that.  f**k PRS and Paranormal State right in the mouth.  That is just tacky and irresponsible.

Visit the b-movie blog
odinn7
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2007, 09:49:40 PM »

Good points you have made. I am on a team and for the most part, even they annoy me as they see ghosts EVERYWHERE we go...and when there's no ghosts...there's demons...I go along because I try to be the voice of reason but anyway....those were all good points about how PRS jumps right into supernatural causes rather than looking at real life possibilities first and foremost. And yes...the way that whole suicide thing was handled will ensure that I watch no more. I see that they're really going for drama with Ryan being followed by a life time haunting of a demon...when I first heard the demon angle, I was rolling my eyes...but they crossed the line very quickly and I hope the show doesn't last.
It's actually people like this that make me ashamed to say I am an investigator...because when you tell people that, they automatically assume you're a crackpot like these a-holes are.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Paranormal State « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.