Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:07:46 PM
713365 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  I Remember When « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: I Remember When  (Read 25363 times)
CheezeFlixz
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2007, 12:33:57 AM »

Did similar time in parochial school, though my parents' excuse was they were raising us Catholic... got a good education, though I can imagine what you mean about being a left-handed Methodist... we had other non-Catholics in the schools I attended and they were "tolerated." 

I was THE ONLY non-catholic in the school. The good thing about it was, every day 6st period was religion class and not being catholic I didn't have to take it and I could leave school early. This is back in the day when a school kid could walk safely alone about town. My day gave me 50 cent to go to the Kraver Theater and watch movies, what be they play? Old B-Movies in the afternoon show. 50's sci-fi and 40's comedies. Cost 25 cents to get in and 25 cents for a popcorn and drink. The movie would let out about 4:30 or so and about that time my Dad would pick me up. Now that was quality afternoon child care. If the movie was boring I'd go to the balcony projection room and do my homework.

Ah those were the days.

Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2007, 08:50:22 AM »

I went to Catholic school from 1st - 8th grade.  Can still remember the nuns.  One kid had slightly long hair, and one of the nuns told him he could either get it cut, or she would cut it for him - in class.  A couple of them were straight out of a bad movie, you'd never believe anyone could be so strict and so cliched if you hadn't seen it in real life.  Luckily most of my classes were taught be a real nice young lady, we only had a few classes with the nuns.  One of the male teachers had a yardstick, though I don't remember ever getting hit with it.  Apparently it was a pretty good incentive for good behaviour.  I think we actually had a woman teacher (non-nun) who got divorced, but they still let her teach there.  I guess they were somewhat lenient.  Her son, who was one of my better friends in elementary school, will be spending the next ten or fifteen years of his life in jail for selling cocaine.  Not a good idea to get busted with a pile of cocaine when you're out on bail awaiting trial for selling cocaine.  Odd how things turn out.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2007, 09:38:29 AM »

My first few years of elementary school were at a Lutheran school.  My best friend, who lived across the street from me, was Catholic and he and his sisters went to a Catholic school.

I remember asking my parents if it was OK for me to be friends with him.   BounceGiggle

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2007, 05:52:51 PM »

Catholic school from kindergarden through sixth grade. Great education, bad almost everything else. I was a shy kid to begin with, this place didn't help.

Only had nuns teaching a few classes, and those were most old, frail, mean or out of touch. My non-nun teachers ran the gamut from the kind and sweet (who rarely stayed long) to the remote and stuck up to might as well have been a nun (the sixth grade teacher, a spinster who has always lived with her parents, don't know what she'll do when her father dies).

The principal, a cold and impersonal nun, played head games and guilt trips on me when my parents decided to move me to public school for junior high. Lack of a good science program (at the time), socialization, money, and my parents pending divorce were all issues; she had no right to mess with me that way, and I was too meek and afraid of authority figures to tell her off like she deserved, rather than just state facts to her.

The kids had a pecking order that once locked into place never changed, the only way I moved up on it was when someone new came in who was lower than me. It was roughly the same class of 30-odd kids you had know since the first day you were there.

When I got older and reading 1984 and Kafka, it wasn't hard to relate, all I had to do was think of my Catholic school days.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2007, 10:06:29 PM »

I fortunately never had a nun as a teacher, but I did have this b***h of a teacher, who happened to be the mother of a student in my class, and the assistant teacher was the mother of another student.  I pretty much learned in 4th grade that I had somewhat of an 'anti-authority' issue, and it hasn't subsided.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2007, 01:23:12 AM »

My principle was Sister Marie Ann who we call "turtle" because when she talked her head bobbed in and out of her habit like a turtle. Then there was Sister Louise Catherine ... no BAD HABIT ... old and mean and hated non-catholics, really hated left-handed non-catholics/ that women was evil. I had mostly nuns for teachers and very few non-nuns.

BTM

« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2007, 02:42:50 PM »

My male (and nice looking) maths teacher used to stare at the girls' legs while they were crossed and us girls considered it high praise.  Most of us deliberately crossed our legs in the aisles to get his attention.

Wow.  I mean, wow. 

Not sure if this is a good or bad, but it sure is different.  I mean, on the one hand, as long as he's just looking, I guess it's cool, but... I dunno. 

As you probably now, nowadays just the accusation of a teacher doing stuff like that is enough to get them in serious trouble, and a lot of the girls know it too. 

Unless of course, said teacher belongs to the teacher's unions.. know of a cases where a teacher was sending explicit emails to a sixteen year old girl and it STILL took over a year to fire the guy.

In 8th grade (at 13 years of age), my best friend lived with her divorced mother.  They were both attractive and her mother used to date guys in their 20s.  I think her mother was in her early to mid 30s at the time.  I remember Tanya, my friend telling me of her sexual exploits with her mother's many boyfriends and their friends while the mother was out (this included oral sex and various other forms of sex that I didn't even know existed).  Nothing happened about this rampant paedophilia.  I actually thought Tanya was really cool because older guys thought she was hot.

Again, wow.  I mean, being brutally honest, I sometimes wish I could nail high school girls (especially since I couldn't while I was in high school) but still...  A thirteen year old though?  That's a bit creepy. 

A female PE teacher used to cheat on her husband with the 12th grade guys all the time.  They would come in and brag how they managed to nail her.  She didn't lose her job or her husband or her freedom and nobody ended up in therapy because of it.

Now that's REALLY strange, as most female gym teachers I hear about usually have affairs with female students.

Oooh!  Sorry, couldn't resist.   Smile

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
raj

« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2007, 03:49:22 PM »

I never went to Catholic school, but my fourth grade teacher was an ex-nun of 25 years.  No idea why she stopped being a nun after such a long time, but she was mean.  I got yelled at because I had a pencil box in my desk (her rule was no pencil boxes).  She also got mad at me because she wanted me to sing the "seven swans a-swimming" part, and when I tried to sing it the way she asked she said it was wrong.  To this day I hate/refuse to sing.  Which is probably for the best.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2007, 04:25:01 PM »

I never really liked school.
 An art teacher we had,Mrs.Gleason,once grabbed me by the neck and scratched me real bad-I was bleeding. I,in turn kicked her in the shins. I got suspended. She probally(see? I can't even spell-shoulda stayed in school!) got applauded by the staff!
 Another time our history teacher (can't rember his name,wanna-be jock type of shmuck) grabbed me by the neck for not narcing on someone who posted a Hustler center fold on his world map.  He singled me out because I just busted out laffing the second I saw it when he pulled the map down.I told him I didn't know (I really DID know-but I wasn't about to rat) ,and he started choking me. I boxed his ear. Once again I was kicked out. Meh. Memorieeeeees,like some blah blah in my mind,mist muddy,something memorieeeeeeeeees...!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2007, 04:33:47 PM »

Another time our history teacher (can't rember his name,wanna-be jock type of shmuck) grabbed me by the neck for not narcing on someone who posted a Hustler center fold on his world map. 

Different teachers, different responses.  I was in band in high school, and I remember at one concert (a pretty formal deal that our band teachers took VERY seriously), someone put a centerfold spread in the score for one of the teachers to see when they opened it to conduct.

He opened the score, saw it, sorta cocked his head, picked it up and held it up for the whole band (but not the audience) to see.  I always wondered if the audience (mostly parents) wondered what everyone was laughing about before that piece started.

To my knowledge, nothing was ever said about it.

RC, that's nuts you got suspended for defending yourself.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Justy
Bad Movie Lover

Oh the humanity!

« Reply #55 on: December 30, 2007, 07:07:59 PM »

I was in High School from 86-90.

I went to Catholic school from 5th Grade through High School. I never really had the bad experiences that everyone seems to have, but then again I liked school so maybe that makes me weird. Now I'm not saying that there weren't any sexually repressed nuns who took out their frustrations on the kids. It's just that you leaned how to work around them and they weren't all that bad. Some were actually cool and tried to keep up with the students.

I remember that our computer lab was all Apple IIE's.

We could eat lunch off-campus as long as we got back in time for class.

We didn't have any heavy drug problems but we did have a sub-culture of pot smoking 'Heads' who were actually pretty cool to hang out with. (I wasn't rich so wasn't accepted by the preps, so by default I was included in the ranks of the counter-cultured even though technically I was a brain... my status was very confusing... I helped with alot of homework.)

All modes of 80's fashion were popular.

Public displays of affection were looked down upon, but never really made a big deal about. I got nailed kissing my girlfriend between classes and never got into trouble.

The education was mainstream and balanced. We didn't have to deal with politically correct nonsense of the day.

As for the pre-internet days, remember BBS that you actually dialed into with you 300 baud modem. Waiting 5 to 10 minutes for the BBS to load was normal. I remember when getting the list of phone-numbers to 20 local BBS was the coolest thing in the world.

Ahh... and how can I forget play Pool of Radiance on my C-64 after school was the coolest thing.

George Michael's Sports Machine signified the end of the weekend and tommorrow I had to go to school.

And yes, our shop teacher would throw pencils at you if you didn't pay attention in class.

On more...  remember the slide clicker cable selector back when 40 channels was considered alot.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 07:13:00 PM by Justy » Logged

-----------------------------------------
"Hey that's great, but who're the Chefs?"
-----------------------------------------
Killer Bees
Newly Appointed Government Employee and

Never give up on love

« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2008, 11:11:11 PM »

I got to stop one of those rumors one time....a dude called one of my best friends a "whore," and basically was trying to hurt her rep because he was mad at her about something.

I grabbed him by the neck and slammed his head into the wall.  He complained that it was none of my business.  He may have been correct about that, but he no longer tried to spread that particular rumor.

Nowadays, I probably would have been expelled, arrested, my parents sued and a lien put against my first born for sticking up for her like that.  Truth was, she was a really nice young lady.  I have NO IDEA what she did in private with her boyfriends, but she sure did not deserve that just because she did not loan him a calculator in math class or some such foolishness.

I too knew girls who had the 'football' rumor - heck, at my school, one of them was a teacher who was my best friend's mother.  Shoot, man, what galls me is that kind of thing does not end after high school.  In GRAD school, a group of people started rumors about a friend of mine - really stupid stuff.  And this was in a VERY socially and politically liberal college town.  I remember she was quite upset, wondering what the H she did to them to deserve it.

On the one hand, I don't care what people think about me, but on the other, I have to admit, I don't want people thinking I am a TOTAL butt hole ALL the time.  I imagine it is worse for a woman and rumors of this sort.  At least it used to be...

Sexual rumours about you is an awful thing even in this day and age.  Double standards are everywhere.  If you're a guy, you're a stud, if you're a girl, you're a slut.  The twist these days is, though, that if a guy is too promiscuous, woman talk amongst themselves about him being a user or a player and then only the "sluts" will sleep with him   BounceGiggle

But any rumours are dangerous and it doesn't matter how innocent your are or how obviously heinous the rumor monger is, people always believe the rumour.  Go figure.

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Bring back what once was mine
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
What once was mine.......
Killer Bees

Never give up on love

« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2008, 11:16:11 PM »

My principle was Sister Marie Ann who we call "turtle" because when she talked her head bobbed in and out of her habit like a turtle. Then there was Sister Louise Catherine ... no BAD HABIT ... old and mean and hated non-catholics, really hated left-handed non-catholics/ that women was evil. I had mostly nuns for teachers and very few non-nuns.

I always believed that's what happened to people's personalities when they weren't allowed to have sex   BounceGiggle

But the best Catholic nun is the one from Blues Brothers.  When she starts hitting the guys and they keep swearing - I laugh so hard I can't breathe!

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
Killer Bees

Never give up on love

« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2008, 11:22:03 PM »

My male (and nice looking) maths teacher used to stare at the girls' legs while they were crossed and us girls considered it high praise.  Most of us deliberately crossed our legs in the aisles to get his attention.

Wow.  I mean, wow. 

Not sure if this is a good or bad, but it sure is different.  I mean, on the one hand, as long as he's just looking, I guess it's cool, but... I dunno. 

As you probably now, nowadays just the accusation of a teacher doing stuff like that is enough to get them in serious trouble, and a lot of the girls know it too. 

Unless of course, said teacher belongs to the teacher's unions.. know of a cases where a teacher was sending explicit emails to a sixteen year old girl and it STILL took over a year to fire the guy.

In 8th grade (at 13 years of age), my best friend lived with her divorced mother.  They were both attractive and her mother used to date guys in their 20s.  I think her mother was in her early to mid 30s at the time.  I remember Tanya, my friend telling me of her sexual exploits with her mother's many boyfriends and their friends while the mother was out (this included oral sex and various other forms of sex that I didn't even know existed).  Nothing happened about this rampant paedophilia.  I actually thought Tanya was really cool because older guys thought she was hot.

Again, wow.  I mean, being brutally honest, I sometimes wish I could nail high school girls (especially since I couldn't while I was in high school) but still...  A thirteen year old though?  That's a bit creepy. 

A female PE teacher used to cheat on her husband with the 12th grade guys all the time.  They would come in and brag how they managed to nail her.  She didn't lose her job or her husband or her freedom and nobody ended up in therapy because of it.

Now that's REALLY strange, as most female gym teachers I hear about usually have affairs with female students.

Oooh!  Sorry, couldn't resist.   Smile

Wow is right.  It was very different back then.  I graduated high school in 1983. Teachers' reps were impeccable and it never occurred to anyone that teachers would indulge in affairs with students.  I don't think it really happened then anyway.  Girls weren't as sexually sophisticated as they are now.  Besides, I think my friend Tanya was an extreme exception.

I pesonally think she was sexualised too early.  And when she was describing to me what she did with those guys, the BJs mainly, I couldnt even begin to picture how that could happen.  I was never an idiot, just a little naive and I honestly didn't think what she did was wrong in any way.  Hell, I never did anything with a guy until I was 18!

But I grew up in a screwy household, so I never really knew what proper adult/child behaviours and boundaries were supposed to be.

I often wonder what became of her.  She was a good person.

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
BTM

« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2008, 01:35:21 AM »

I personally think she was sexualized too early. 

I wouldn't be surprised if there was some abuse in her background, sad to say.  :(

But I grew up in a screwy household, so I never really knew what proper adult/child behaviors and boundaries were supposed to be.

Well, unless the guy you were with was twenty or so years older than you, I'd say you learned a lot boundaries than she did. 

I often wonder what became of her.  She was a good person.

Have you tried myspace?  Found a few of my former classmates that way.

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  I Remember When « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.