Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:51:32 AM
713325 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Sequels that have nothing to do with the previous film « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Sequels that have nothing to do with the previous film  (Read 18134 times)
asimpson2006
Bad Movie Lover

« on: December 20, 2007, 07:40:47 AM »

This is something that has always bugged be for a while, make a sequel to a film but it has nothing to do with the previous films that came before it.  Some examples are:

Bloodfist 3-8.  Each sequel has nothing to do with the previous films, and in my opinion are not needed. 

Kickboxer 3 - Has nothing to do with Kickboxer 1 or 2 and is never metioned in 4 to 5, so I consider Kickboxer 3 to be non canon.

No retreat, no surrender 2-5 - This films have nothing to do with the first film.

I know there are other ones, but I can't think of them right now.
the ghoul
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 08:17:33 AM »

If it has nothing to do with the previous film, then I don't consider it a sequel.
odinn7
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 09:41:47 AM »

One that comes to mind right away...Halloween 3....what the hell were they thinking?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 10:17:16 AM »

One that comes to mind right away...Halloween 3....what the hell were they thinking?

They were thinking "we can make a lot more money off this if it rides on the coattails of those other two movies."

I don't mind if a series of movies has a single title and common theme, but no other connection, as long as it was the intention to begin with. That works under the right circumstances, much like an anthology. But don't continue your story for a couple of movies, then change. That's sloppy at best, and at its worst it borders on fraud.

Halloween 3 is not that bad standing on its own, and if the Halloween films had been a series of stand-alone stories, it wouldn't get trashed quite so much. It sucks because we wanted more Michael.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
asimpson2006
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 12:38:32 PM »

If it has nothing to do with the previous film, then I don't consider it a sequel.

I technically don't call it a true sequel if that is the case.  I ususally call it a non canon sequel.
Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?

It's neVer over!

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2007, 12:49:41 PM »

They were thinking "we can make a lot more money off this if it rides on the coattails of those other two movies."
I think you mean House 3 Buggedout, wasn't Halloween 3 actually brought up by John Carpenter and the producers' decision to not turn Halloween into a yearly anthology thing what made him leave further films?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 12:52:09 PM by Mr. Briggs Inc. » Logged

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverspherechannel
For the latest on the fifth installment in Don Coscarelli's Phantasm saga.
odinn7

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2007, 12:56:45 PM »

I never saw House 3...I stopped mid way through the second one.

I am not sure about the circumstances around Halloween 3 and as AndyC said...it's not really a bad movie overall...but man...to stick it in that series...ridiculous.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
GoHawks
Bad Movie Lover

Happiness is a dancing beagle.

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2007, 12:49:58 AM »

This is something that has always bugged be for a while, make a sequel to a film but it has nothing to do with the previous films that came before it.  <snip>  I know there are other ones, but I can't think of them right now.

This one immediately leaped to mind:  Flesh Gordon 2.  (Full Disclosure:  I only watched part of it once; I ripped it out of the VCR when Flesh started having sex with the chicken.)

All four Deathstalker (I, II, III, IV) movies were produced by Roger Corman, but other than that (and the name of the main character) they really have nothing to do with each other.

"Please do not offer my god a peanut."  -  Apu
KYGOTC
Corprate slimeball of E.E.S.

Be EXELLENT to each other...and PARTY ON DUDES!!

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2007, 01:10:47 AM »

What about all the Invisible Man movies that came after the original? They wernt related at all! And how about THIS doozie?!

"I'm a man too, you know! I go pee-pee standing up!"
Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2007, 01:30:10 AM »

Do the Xtro sequels have anything to do with the first one? I never could sit through all of the second one and didn't see anything that had anything to do with the first one, confusing and odd as it is.

I haven't seen one in a while, but are the soft-core/horror Witchcraft films connected at all after the first couple?

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2007, 02:20:11 AM »

Troll 2

According to IMDb, House 3 was originally released as The Horror Show and retitled to House 3 for non-U.S. markets. I remember that quite confusing me when I saw House IV (a terrible movie) on the shelf with no recollection of House 3.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
asimpson2006
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2007, 06:08:04 AM »

This is something that has always bugged be for a while, make a sequel to a film but it has nothing to do with the previous films that came before it.  <snip>  I know there are other ones, but I can't think of them right now.

This one immediately leaped to mind:  Flesh Gordon 2.  (Full Disclosure:  I only watched part of it once; I ripped it out of the VCR when Flesh started having sex with the chicken.)

I am curious about watching Flesh Gordon 2, only because Vince Murdocco is in it.
Troll 2

I forgot about Troll 2, since seeing it, I think some of my memory has gone away.

nshumate
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2007, 08:38:19 AM »

The deal with Halloween 3:

The Halloween movies were originally supposed to be standalone features, connected only by their occurrence on Halloween.  Then the first one was SUCH a huge success, single-handedly spawning the American slasher film, that the producers insisted that the next one be a direct sequel.  Carpenter acquiesced.  By the time they got to Halloween 3 and Carpenter tried to bring the series back to his "anthology" idea, the name "Halloween" had become so associated with Michael Myers that it confused the hell out of the public, and so the idea of an anthology series was dropped in favor of the continuing adventures of a guy in a William Shatner mask.

Nathan Shumate
Cold Fusion Video Reviews
Sci-fi, Horror, and General Whoopass
KYGOTC
Corprate slimeball of E.E.S.

Be EXELLENT to each other...and PARTY ON DUDES!!

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2007, 10:54:53 AM »

The deal with Halloween 3:

The Halloween movies were originally supposed to be standalone features, connected only by their occurrence on Halloween.  Then the first one was SUCH a huge success, single-handedly spawning the American slasher film, that the producers insisted that the next one be a direct sequel.  Carpenter acquiesced.  By the time they got to Halloween 3 and Carpenter tried to bring the series back to his "anthology" idea, the name "Halloween" had become so associated with Michael Myers that it confused the hell out of the public, and so the idea of an anthology series was dropped in favor of the continuing adventures of a guy in a William Shatner mask.

Thats really a shame. I wouldve really like to have seen an anthology style movie franchise instead of a franchise in which they whore the original idea to its limit until each sequel becomes crappier than the last.

"I'm a man too, you know! I go pee-pee standing up!"
Gerry
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2007, 12:07:30 PM »

The worst offender ever IMO was HIGHLANDER 2.  I was never so offended by a sequel.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Sequels that have nothing to do with the previous film « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.