Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 04:23:00 PM
714346 Posts in 53094 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Sequels that have nothing to do with the previous film « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Sequels that have nothing to do with the previous film  (Read 18241 times)
nshumate
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2007, 12:15:18 PM »

The worst offender ever IMO was HIGHLANDER 2.  I was never so offended by a sequel.

And that's because it WASN'T wholly unrelated to the original -- instead, it tried to retcon it into a stupid space opera-cum-halfbaked environmental parable.

Nathan Shumate
Cold Fusion Video Reviews
Sci-fi, Horror, and General Whoopass
Gerry
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2007, 12:19:23 PM »

Something like that...

BEASTMASTER 2 was pretty bad too.
Automan2000
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2007, 06:18:58 PM »

One that comes to mind right away...Halloween 3....what the hell were they thinking?

They were thinking "we can make a lot more money off this if it rides on the coattails of those other two movies."
I think you mean House 3 Buggedout, wasn't Halloween 3 actually brought up by John Carpenter and the producers' decision to not turn Halloween into a yearly anthology thing what made him leave further films?

I always thought that the reason John Carpenter distanced himself from Hollywood was because of Big Trouble In Little China. I seem to remember that he felt that the studio had dropped the ball on promoting it because they didn't think it would make any money.
respectmeordye3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2007, 11:41:43 AM »

The Sandlot sequels.

future ones also--and I can say that because in an interview the creator said he wanted to make several sequels set in different time periods.---though I guess Sandlot three gets a free pass seeing as it had one of the original characters as an adult in it's time travel story.....
DistantJ
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2007, 07:30:11 PM »

I think worse than this is when they actually RENAME completely unrelated (usually foreign, particularly italian) movies for certain releases to try and sell them. There's DEMONS 3: THE OGRE, which is basically, well, THE OGRE, renamed to get sales, which has nothing at all to do with the story, the feel, the idea, the cast, or anything at all, of DEMONS.

While D3:TO was the only phoney DEMONS sequel to exist on DVD, on VHS in various places, there's a grand total of FOUR different movies released with the name DEMONS 3,  (only one of which, THE CHURCH (originally planned as DEMONS 3), having any connections with DEMONS), one ORIGINALLY named DEMONS 3 (though unrelated anyway!!) then renamed to BLACK DEMONS, then there's about 3 movies called DEMONS 4, and DEMONS 6: ARMEGEDON (Yes, Armageddon is incorrectly spelled in the name). Some are zombie movies, some demon movies, one a movie about some random satanic sect (!)... I don't think anybody has seen DEMONS 5, but it's renamed from another unrelated movie which is apparently a REMAKE of an unrelated movie from 1960.......

ITS BLOODY INSANE.

Basically, there are two Demons movies and there is a semi-prequel with a different name (The Church). Then there are about 10 random Italian unrelated movies renamed to have Demons in the title to make sales. And they didn't even bother to look for some of the many movies which even resembled Demons, just so long as they were horror movies, and they were Italian... I heard once that even Suspiria and Phenomena have been packaged with the Demons title on them.

Absolutely barking mad.
AnubisVonMojo
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Jesus H. Chelios!

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2007, 08:33:51 PM »

And how about THIS doozie?!

As much as I hate it, Shock Treatment is still technically a sequel to Rocky Horror because it's written by Richard O'Brien, follows Brad and Janet, and takes place in their hometown of Denton, which of course has now been turned into one huge TV station. And Nell Campbell is so damn hot as the nurse! Twirling

"Don't make me stain my last clean shirt with the back of your head." - Shatter Dead
"A grizzly bear with a chainsaw. Now THERE's a killing machine!" - The Simpsons
"I've always wanted to make love to an angry welder." - Jaws: the Revenge
MoronBoy
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2007, 08:46:43 PM »

Silent Night Deadly Night Pt. 4 and 5 come to mind.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2007, 10:31:11 PM »

Does American Pie 4-6 count as sequels, considering basically they're just ripoffs, and the only recurring character is a cameo of sorts by Eugene Levy, even though Jason Biggs isn't even in them?

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
nshumate
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2007, 11:32:26 PM »

I think worse than this is when they actually RENAME completely unrelated (usually foreign, particularly italian) movies for certain releases to try and sell them. There's DEMONS 3: THE OGRE, which is basically, well, THE OGRE, renamed to get sales, which has nothing at all to do with the story, the feel, the idea, the cast, or anything at all, of DEMONS.

While D3:TO was the only phoney DEMONS sequel to exist on DVD, on VHS in various places, there's a grand total of FOUR different movies released with the name DEMONS 3,  (only one of which, THE CHURCH (originally planned as DEMONS 3), having any connections with DEMONS), one ORIGINALLY named DEMONS 3 (though unrelated anyway!!) then renamed to BLACK DEMONS, then there's about 3 movies called DEMONS 4, and DEMONS 6: ARMEGEDON (Yes, Armageddon is incorrectly spelled in the name). Some are zombie movies, some demon movies, one a movie about some random satanic sect (!)... I don't think anybody has seen DEMONS 5, but it's renamed from another unrelated movie which is apparently a REMAKE of an unrelated movie from 1960.......

ITS BLOODY INSANE.

Basically, there are two Demons movies and there is a semi-prequel with a different name (The Church). Then there are about 10 random Italian unrelated movies renamed to have Demons in the title to make sales. And they didn't even bother to look for some of the many movies which even resembled Demons, just so long as they were horror movies, and they were Italian... I heard once that even Suspiria and Phenomena have been packaged with the Demons title on them.

Absolutely barking mad.

And we could make all the same complaints about the Italian "Zombie" pseudo-series -- especially the installments that include NO zombies.

Nathan Shumate
Cold Fusion Video Reviews
Sci-fi, Horror, and General Whoopass
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2007, 11:36:18 PM »

And we could make all the same complaints about the Italian "Zombie" pseudo-series -- especially the installments that include NO zombies.

I think that those would be the ones my wife would like: zombie movies with no zombies.  Katie has been on some sort of crusade against me watching them ever since I sat down to view the "Blind Dead" collection one night.  It was pretty amusing when I put in "Planet Terror" and told her that it was the second half of "Grindhouse."  After a little bit Katie asked me, "Is this another damn zombie movie?" and I said, "No.  It's a mutant invasion film."  She wasn't buying it.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
D-Man
Bad Movie Lover

Only my head is tiny...

« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2007, 06:05:03 AM »

XTRO 2:  Instead of having anything to do with the bizarre British film that preceded it, they decided to make this one into a horrible ripoff of Aliens starring Jan Michael Vincent.
asimpson2006
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2007, 08:51:13 AM »

Does American Pie 4-6 count as sequels, considering basically they're just ripoffs, and the only recurring character is a cameo of sorts by Eugene Levy, even though Jason Biggs isn't even in them?

I don't count them as sequels.  IMO they are just using the name of it, just like some of the National Lampoon movies (Which I love some of them btw).
AnubisVonMojo
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Jesus H. Chelios!

« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2007, 12:00:35 PM »

I don't count them as sequels.  IMO they are just using the name of it, just like some of the National Lampoon movies (Which I love some of them btw).

Yeah, I agree on the American Pie movies. Any follow-up movie that doesn't feature the return of the main character (that being Jason Biggs, since his wandering wang was the whole point of the title to begin with) from the previous installments, but insists on using the same title to help market it, isn't really a sequel so much as it is a spin-off... if you really want to split hairs... in which case you can take some from my beard, as there are many.  TeddyR

"Don't make me stain my last clean shirt with the back of your head." - Shatter Dead
"A grizzly bear with a chainsaw. Now THERE's a killing machine!" - The Simpsons
"I've always wanted to make love to an angry welder." - Jaws: the Revenge
Mortal Envelope
Bad Movie Lover

Manos...it's frightening!

« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2007, 12:18:38 PM »

How about the Howling movies?  I don't think any of those atrocities have anything to do with any of the others in the series other than the presence of werewolves (or in one's case, were-marsupials). 
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2007, 12:19:00 PM »

Spiders 2 - there are giant spiders, but other than that it has absoloutely no connection to the first movie.

Slumber Party Massacre 3 - there's a slumber party and a massacre, but no connection to the previous films.

Sorority House Massacre 2 - same thing, no connection to previous movie.

Jim Wynorski's movies are kind of funny, he uses flashbacks to other movies yet he uses them in movies that aren't sequels.  For instance, Sorority House Massacre 2, Hard to Die and Cheerleader Massacre all use flashback scenes taken from Slumber Party Massacre.  I think the technical term is "padding the run time".
« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 12:20:35 PM by Jack » Logged

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Sequels that have nothing to do with the previous film « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.