Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:06:02 PM
713369 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  I finally saw the new HALLOWEEN this week . . . the unrated cut « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: I finally saw the new HALLOWEEN this week . . . the unrated cut  (Read 9994 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« on: December 20, 2007, 06:30:38 PM »

I must say that I liked this movie more than I thought I would.  Having read all the previous threads here on it, I wasn't sure I would, but it worked on a number of levels.  The whole sequence of Michael Myer's childhood was fascinating and made him a much more sympathetic character, as did the constant mask-making in the asylum.  The deleted scenes are DEFINITELY worth watching.  I am pretty sure I saw Jeffery Combs in a couple of them.  I think this is a worthy homage to the original, as well as being a great stand-up movie in its own right.  Sherri Zombie is actually a convincing and talented actress, I might add.  This is my favorite Rob Zombie film yet!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Torgo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 07:00:14 PM »

I think that if Rob Zombie hadn't made this a Halloween film and instead just made it about a serial killer who grows up in a white trash setting and brutally slaughters people.]

The 1st half is actually kind of effective at times but when he puts on that Michael Myers mask the movie just becomes pointless.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
AnubisVonMojo
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Jesus H. Chelios!

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 09:11:27 PM »

I enjoyed the Hell out of the first half, but once we're introduced to Laurie and her stupid little friends (Tommy especially) I felt like I'd been jerked over into another movie because the focus was taken away from Michael. It's hard to follow one particular character for 45 minutes only to have focus shift entirely to such an unlikable cast of high school skank stereotypes. Laurie was cute and all, but every time some sexual comment or another slipped out of her mouth (especially in the scenes with her own freakin' parents!) I became more and more frustrated because I knew she wouldn't die and the irritation would just continue... blah!

"Don't make me stain my last clean shirt with the back of your head." - Shatter Dead
"A grizzly bear with a chainsaw. Now THERE's a killing machine!" - The Simpsons
"I've always wanted to make love to an angry welder." - Jaws: the Revenge
Mortal Envelope
Bad Movie Lover

Manos...it's frightening!

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 02:23:53 PM »

Just saw it last night...liked a few small bits in it but overall it was annoying.  Although it payed homage to some shots in the original, it just seemed to be too much of a WB cast knock-off mixed with Zombie-isque trailer park trash.  I'll stick with the original myself.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 09:47:18 PM »

I guess I'm in the minority who liked this. 

Wasn't great, but good.  I've seen worse flicks. 

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
DistantJ
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 10:03:42 AM »

I love Rob Zombie's Halloween.

The Unrated Cut is the version with the rape scene intact, but also with the awesome theatrical "Loomis dies" ending, right? Because that's my favourite version.
Neville

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 10:45:47 AM »

I liked the first half, the one everybody complains about because it humanises Jason. But one the guy downs the mask and picks up the machete it's just another dime a dozen slasher.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
DistantJ
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 11:27:25 AM »

Would be a pretty odd Halloween movie if it humanized Jason.
Neville

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 11:56:27 AM »

I meant Freddy  Wink TongueOut

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2008, 12:44:43 PM »

I love how this flick shows the background of Charles Lee Ray and his interest in the occult and voodoo.  They never really explored it in the earlier ones. Wink

Honestly though, I liked Halloween.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Justy
Bad Movie Lover

Oh the humanity!

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2008, 05:35:44 PM »

A few things...

Michael was not "just another slasher". He is the quintessential slasher. Other movies copy the popularity of Halloween so to say that a humanized Michael is somehow doing him justice is really off the mark. In addition, Michael was never meant to be a sympathetic character. He was meant to be a character who was mysterious and feared, "the Boogeyman".

I understand that other people have their opinions. They liked it, fine. However, in my opinion I honestly hated what Zombie did to this movie. Maybe I just hold the original in too high of a regard to accept any changes to it. I don't dislike Zombie, but a trailer trash Michael?  Thumbdown

-----------------------------------------
"Hey that's great, but who're the Chefs?"
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2008, 07:25:55 PM »

I didn't really think it humanized him that much. I thought it made him scarier to see how he became such a pure psychopath. Seeing him gradually hide within himself, giving over control to the sadistic impulses, the anger, the hatred, until there appeared to be little of Michael Myers left. That was scary.

That's what I liked about this. It didn't just rehash the story with a lot of current horror-movie conventions. It was an intelligent movie, for what it was. Zombie chose to explore a different aspect of the story that Carpenter, for his own reasons, chose to gloss over. Two tellings of the same story from two different views of what is scary.

I do have to admit though, while I like classic Michael, I kind of preferred the way he looked when he escaped. Classic Michael is very clean. No frills. A blank slate. Without humanity. Cold blooded. That was Carpenter's vision. But Psycho Mike in his cell is huge, imposing, dirty. He's like an animal, but intelligent. His papier mache mask is raw and distorted. Yet he is just as silent, patient and observant as the original. I think he lost something when he went to the classic look.

Maybe it would have been better if it hadn't been Halloween. But would it have been as fascinating if we were gaining this insight into a new character, rather than one we already knew?

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Justy
Bad Movie Lover

Oh the humanity!

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2008, 08:23:33 PM »

I agree that if the movie had been called something else then I probably would have liked it. Same thing with Halloween III, as a stand alone its a fine movie. But it wasn't Halloween as we the fans expected it to be, thus it failed.

Unfortunately Zombie did Halloween, so it comes in the footsteps of its predecessor. That man just wasn't Michael as he was meant to be. The setting wasn't as it should have been. Everything just seemed wrong and off-kilter. What if you took say a male hero from a popular scifi series, he's a space fighter pilot call him for the lack of a better term Starbuck. Then in the "reimagining" he gets a sex-change and comes back as a woman. The same feeling just isn't there. That was a major liberty that Zombie took with the story. Yes with Michael, you got to see 'what happened', but I don't think that was needed. It just didn't work for me.

As for Michael being humanized that was the whole change the Zombie made. The change from human to monster. In the original the change happened to an innocent little  boy. It was as if some supernaturally evil force just set up shop in Michael. You never saw Michael as a normal boy and never empathized with him. There was never any inkling that what Michael was doing was justifiable by any means.   
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 06:55:03 AM by Justy » Logged

"Hey that's great, but who're the Chefs?"
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2008, 08:33:44 AM »

I don't know that it necessarily justified Michael, but I think it made me appreciate more the forces at work from without and within that made a monster out of him. I appreciate more how messed up he is.

I also agree with Carpenter's approach, where something in Michael just snaps and he loses his humanity entirely. We don't know how or why, but this little kid becomes a killing machine. That's scary too.

I would say that Zombie's movie could have been about an entirely new killer, but some of the effectiveness of his movie comes from it being a familiar story of a familiar character. If it wasn't Michael, the story would get considerably more complicated, and the movie might not have turned out so well.

I saw it as a nice experiment, like seeing what a different cook makes out of the same ingredients. This is mainly because Zombie didn't make a pointless remake, but chose to tell the story from a different perspective.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
DistantJ
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2008, 05:23:28 AM »

I thought he was a much better Michael than ANY of the sequels. I'd much rather they explore his human roots than a bunch of occult crap.

I never saw Michael as 'pure evil'... I never really got that part of the original film, I always just figured that Dr. Loomis was a bit obsessive, and Michael was unreachable, which this new version pretty much exactly did. I always thought that the fact that he just wouldn't seem to die was the only mysterious thing about him, and that was carried over.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  I finally saw the new HALLOWEEN this week . . . the unrated cut « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.