Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:49:06 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  I finally saw the new HALLOWEEN this week . . . the unrated cut « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: I finally saw the new HALLOWEEN this week . . . the unrated cut  (Read 9991 times)
Mortal Envelope
Bad Movie Lover

Manos...it's frightening!

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2008, 04:02:48 PM »

I think the thing that bugs me is this new Halloween is a new version of elements of the first two Halloween films, with the whole "why" business explained - referring to the whole "Laurie is Michael's sister BS, which wasn't retrofitted until II).

I thought the strong point of the original Halloween was the fact that there was no explanation, which makes it that much more effing scary.  Laurie was in the wrong place at the wrong time - could have been anyone. 

It started going downhill when they give him motivation (Laurie is his other sister) and even worse when they started getting into the really heavy druid elements.

As for the new Michael, he was ok I guess - but it was hard to not picture Sabertooth/Huge Nuge behind that mask lol.  I dunno, I just think one's imagination filling in the blanks is much scarier than a white-trash backstory.

One thing I noticed though - there were a lot of shots that were good references/homages to the original but there wasn't ever such a cool scene as in the original when Michael emerged silently from the darkness behind Laurie, gradually fading in, for example.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2008, 06:26:28 PM »

I enjoyed the new one quite a bit. I like it in the way that I like the old Boris Karloff FRANKENSTIEN...yet I also like many of the Hammer versions as well.
 Carpenters is a bonafide classic. But the charecter of Micheal Meyers,in order to survive in films,really needed a face lift,and many of the sequels were downright crap.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
DistantJ
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2008, 04:41:20 AM »

One thing I noticed though - there were a lot of shots that were good references/homages to the original but there wasn't ever such a cool scene as in the original when Michael emerged silently from the darkness behind Laurie, gradually fading in, for example.
My favourite scene in the original. I always likened it to the moment when Mikey appears from behind a door when Annie is bleeding to death.
BeyondTheGrave
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2008, 01:36:18 PM »

I saw this a couple of days ago and while I liked it, I still like the original more. I agree with AndyC Zombie didn't just set out to do other "Rehash" and just cash in like so many other remakes but their was alot of care to show his version of Meyers. People might not like to but this how remakes should be made.

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

Justy
Bad Movie Lover

Oh the humanity!

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2008, 06:06:21 PM »

I saw this a couple of days ago and while I liked it, I still like the original more. I agree with AndyC Zombie didn't just set out to do other "Rehash" and just cash in like so many other remakes but their was alot of care to show his version of Meyers. People might not like to but this how remakes should be made.

On this point I agree with the remake. I am not a fan of Zombie's Halloween, but I do not disagree with his attempt to put a new twist on it. That is fine in a remake. A remake either has to be true to the source material or given a new view. It can't just be a half-hearted hack job. My disagreement with Zombie is the course that he decided to take, the white trash Michael.

Personally if I had done the remake I would have kept Michael "the same". My concentration would have been more on Smith's Grove and Michael's transformation from disturbed child to true psycho. Dr. Loomis' attempts to reach him. I would the Strode family's gradual distancing to hiding from Michael. Then show the breakout and his trip back. I guess my view would be more of a prequel. I know that Zombie did incorporate some of my points and I like the choice of McDowall for Loomis. If Zombie only hadn't gone the redneck route.

There is actual a Halloween novel which was written after the movie came out. I read that it does give detail to Michael's time in Smith Grove. I need to track that book down. It's probably out of print.

-----------------------------------------
"Hey that's great, but who're the Chefs?"
-----------------------------------------
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2008, 11:07:42 AM »

I agree with that. The redneck family angle wasn't necessary, and I didn't particularly like it. Too heavy-handed. Michaels relationships at school, his animal abuse and other information were good, but putting him in a house with a stripper and an abusive drunk was a bit much.

I mostly enjoyed when the story switched to Smith's Grove, and dealt with Loomis attempting to treat Michael, Michael resisting and withdrawing, and the eventual decision to just store him safely. Smith's Grove was really the best part of the movie.

McDowell was an excellent choice for Loomis, and I thought it was a nice touch that he wrote a bestselling book about Michael and is on the lecture circuit when the psycho busts out. Everybody in Haddonfield thinks he's a dirtbag for cashing in on their tragedy. Very nice touch.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2008, 09:36:30 AM »

I liked that aspect of the Loomis character as well in the new one, that he cashed in on it and whatnot.  Gave him a bit more of a vested interest in the Myers boy than just having him run around screaming "Michael!"

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
KYGOTC
Corprate slimeball of E.E.S.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Be EXELLENT to each other...and PARTY ON DUDES!!

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2008, 01:19:58 PM »

I saw bith versions of the film. They actualy CUT OUT scenes for the Directors cut. They cut out the part where all those cops are talking at the police station. I dont understand why Zombie wanted to get rid of that. And he replaced a scene as well. The one where Mike escapes.

"I'm a man too, you know! I go pee-pee standing up!"
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  I finally saw the new HALLOWEEN this week . . . the unrated cut « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.