Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 06:52:10 AM
712928 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Santa Claus (1959) « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Santa Claus (1959)  (Read 57662 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« on: December 21, 2007, 10:26:42 PM »

Old Saint Nicholas lives in an orbital fortress and uses child labor to keep costs low (the elves had a union).  However, this Christmas might not be so jolly.  A devil named Pitch is out to cause mischief and ruin everything.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
peter johnson
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2007, 01:18:50 AM »

You can't mention everything about this movie, but one thing that struck me is the mechanical cat that takes off like a greyhound-racing bunny after Dante decides to chase it instead of Santa --
     Santa also pulls some pretty incredible faces throughout the movie -- faces that have nothing whatever to do with anything happening onscreen.
     I saw this several times as a very young -- 5 or 6 or 7 year old -- child in Kilmarnock, Virginia, as the Fairfax theatre would run it every Christmas as a kiddie matinee.  The whole theatre would erupt in screams when Pitch got the cannon dart in his behind.  Ass humour probably predates Astrolopithecus.
     I recall too that over the years, the print that the theatre used got greener and greener as the colour was bleached out of it, until it started to resemble a green-tinted black & white film with yellow scratches.
Just a plain weird picture . . .
peter johnson/denny crane

I have no idea what this means.
Rob Michel
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007, 03:02:36 PM »

dear lord I wouldn't watch the un-MST3Ked version of this unless i was paid well for my pain and suffering. Saw this on there and it is pretty painful...
Keiper
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2007, 10:47:45 AM »

You made my day with that Burgermeister Meisterburger reference. My Christmas is now complete! Thankyou.
Mr. Director
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2007, 10:02:15 AM »

I have this on DVD, and it's one of my favorite holiday films. I only wish the uncut version was available on home video. The current DVD release omits the scenes of the damned souls being led off to Hell, something I believe every family film needs.
HarlotBug3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2007, 07:31:05 PM »

dear lord I wouldn't watch the un-MST3Ked version of this unless i was paid well for my pain and suffering. Saw this on there and it is pretty painful...

I still have this one on my to-watch pile (gotta love the dollar bin) and I'm motivated now twice over! MST3K must have taken this one to the cleaners!

Oh, and don't think we didn't catch Santa's plan to give the boy a baby brother in 9 months...

Wink Thumbup

"Do you have something against droppings?" "Well, no, I..." "Sure, everyone says that till they step in it."
onionhead
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 12:00:53 PM »

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006HU2YG/badmoviesorg
This is the unedited, unexpurgated, unabridged version that I picked up during the summer.  It hurts, but I think it's worth it.

EDIT By Andrew:
That is the same version I link to in the review and also the DVD I used to write the review.  However, it does not include the scene with the damned souls being led to Hell like "Mr. Director" mentions above.  I have never seen that scene.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 12:25:43 PM by Andrew » Logged

Some people like cupcakes better--I for one care less for them
onionhead
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 03:06:01 PM »

Oops, sorry.  I stand corrected.
Yer lucky--it doesn't happen very often.

Some people like cupcakes better--I for one care less for them
AmandaW
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2007, 12:06:30 PM »

Oh God I've seen this one...  gotta love how Pitch is ordered to make EVERY CHILD ON EARTH do evil, and he spends pretty much all night on poor little Lupita...
Giant Claw Jr
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2008, 12:39:53 AM »

Tjis along with SANTA CLUASE CONQUES THE MARTIANS,SANTA CLUASE THE MOVIE,POLAR EXPRESS, and CHRISTMAS WITH THE STUPIDS have got to be the worse holiday movies save for that GRINCH movie
Karla
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2008, 03:40:48 PM »

I absolutely adored this film! Definately the BEST Christmas movie!!!!!
FLU-BIRD
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2008, 11:09:41 AM »

was this movie real nessecary to make i mean the devil PITCH looks like the one from  UDERWOODS DEVILED HAM without the pointy tail and its as painful as that crappy ROBIN WILLIAMS movie TOYS
HarlotBug3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2008, 06:13:32 PM »

Yes, the bargin bin is a treasure trove.

It's so very cliche, I know, but this is absolutely NOT a movie to watch sober. Use egg nog if you start to feel guilty.

"Do you have something against droppings?" "Well, no, I..." "Sure, everyone says that till they step in it."
chris
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2008, 09:41:22 AM »

Saw the uncut spanish version on youtube it includes the damned souls being led to hell bit as well as different opening title screen also santa doesn't laugh as much in the spanish version and the narrator doesn't narrated as much, but still has that creepy feel to it anyway. It just doesn't sound as badly dubbed as the english version
Josh
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2009, 08:48:02 PM »

How could you give this horrible piece of turd four slimes?? It deserves a skull, or at least ONE slime! I couldn't even sit through the MST3K version! I can't believe you could sit through the non-riffed version. You're a braver man than I thought.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Santa Claus (1959) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.