Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:39:40 AM
713389 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Invaders from Mars (1986) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Invaders from Mars (1986)  (Read 18604 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« on: December 27, 2007, 11:31:03 AM »

The alien monsters in Tobe Hooper's remake look pretty cool (though similar to cooked Cornish game hens) but it misses the point of the original film.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 11:33:28 AM by Andrew » Logged

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
onionhead
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 05:40:38 PM »

Toby Hooper's remake looks slicker than the 1953 original, but lacks the aura of dread that the first film easily conveyed.  Sure the lead alien looked ridiculous--just a head in a goldfish bowl, basically--and the drones evoked more laughs than gasps what with the zipper-up-the-back velour jumpsuits; but what was truly terrifying was  the sense of helplessnes elicited by little Jimmy Hunt as David  Maclean as he witnessed (or did he?) a tableau of nightmare following the landing of an alien spacecraft on a dark and stormy night.  William Cameron Menzies, director of Gone with the Wind, skillfully used colors, shadows, and one creepy musical score to spin his yarn of paranoia--it was the fifties, after all--and though it has it's faults (beyond the goofy aliens, the climax is a l o oo o o oo oo ooo oo  o ooo oo ooooo ng race against the clock), it's one of the spookier flicks to come out of the bug-eyed-alien era.

Some people like cupcakes better--I for one care less for them
diamondwaspvenom
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 09:04:34 PM »

A decent flick at best. I find that the aliens look more like a cross between a tyrannosaurus and a tick.
not quite my name
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 11:57:58 PM »

Believe it or not, the school used in the film was my elementary school. I was in the school at the time they filmed it. I had NO idea till many years later when I saw it playing on syfi. I think they must have done it during spring break. Another freaky thing is the main characters last name is a slight variation of my own last name - so it was pretty surreal watching this and hearing them yell his name all the time.
JPickettIII
A BAD MOVIE IS A TERRIBLE THING TO WASTE!
Bad Movie Lover

HELP! WE ARE STUCK IN A GOOD MOVIE!!!

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 11:34:51 PM »

Believe it or not, the school used in the film was my elementary school. I was in the school at the time they filmed it. I had NO idea till many years later when I saw it playing on syfi. I think they must have done it during spring break. Another freaky thing is the main characters last name is a slight variation of my own last name - so it was pretty surreal watching this and hearing them yell his name all the time.

That is cool.  I got this movie in two pack from Wal-Mart.  Great movie.  A brain dead movie that you can set back and enjoy.

Great write up.

Later,

John

\\\\\\\"Freedom is not free\"\\\\\\ or ///\"Where ever you go, there you are!\"///
karate-ka
New Visitor

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 11:19:26 PM »

I just registered for an account on this website specifically for the reason to say THANK YOU! I have been trying to remember the name of this movie for quite some time now. I will definitely have to rewatch this sometime soon. I'm sure it won't seem that way now, but this movie literally scared the holy bejeebus out of me when I was a kid!
Parralax view
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 08:50:38 PM »

The original had me looking at my parents necks, my teachers necks, hell, erbody's necks for a month.  As a kid it was a highly psychologically, personal film.  Who doesn't  not want their parents to turn into alien slaves? Well, maybe some of use with trauma in mind.  But it was a very stark film for an impressionable small kid.  The Hooper version isn't to me better, then again, I'm not 6 any more...
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Invaders from Mars (1986) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.