Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:09:25 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Laptops « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Laptops  (Read 5965 times)
Ed, Ego and Superego
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: December 27, 2007, 11:36:01 PM »

Help my tech-minded friends.
I have been offered a post-christmas laptop for school/work.  I know nothing of these, and I'm rapidly getting into the age where I can't be bothered too much with futzing with technology.   Here are the criteria I have to work with:
1) CHEAP- The closer or under $500 the better, not more than $799.  There is some money for upgrading RAM etc, but I'd rather not. 
2) intended uses:
    a) writing/business software
    b) taking a multimedia (DVD/CD) training course. 
    c) Light Gaming- nothing hugely intensive
    d) WiFi compatible.   
3) What I want:
    a) relibility
    b) Back compatible with other software- I have read that Vista is getting much better about this.
    c) not feel like I'm buying a piece of junk out of cheapness.  Quality for the money.
    d) not too big or heavy
    e) good battery life (this is key)
    f) doesn't need many features, I'd prefer workmanlike over gadgetty.

Sorry this is vague, but I really am way out of date on my computer technology.  Any help would be most welcome.

-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 12:49:37 AM »

Get you a Dell Refrub, I got my sister one for Christmas she seems real happy with it. (She has to pay me back I'm not that nice, I just give her interest free longer than Dell will.)

I got her one loaded with XP Pro, Vista sucks. Loss any anti virus that put on it and get a free version of AVG.

Here is a linky ...

http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineSales/topics/global.aspx/arb/online/en/InventorySearch?c=us&cs=22&l=en&s=dfh

Here's a decent one for $739.00 ...

Inspiron 1520
(System Identifier: ZM006ZVJ)

* Inspiron 1520 Notebook: Intel Core 2 Duo T5250 (1.5GHz/667Mhz FSB/2MB cache)
    * Genuine Windows XP Pro

System Price   :   $739.00

Operating System
Genuine Windows XP ProMemory
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM 677MHz (2 DIMMs)Hard Disk Drive
80 GB SATA Hard Drive (5400 RPM)Video
Intel Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator X3100Software Upgrade
No Dell DataSafe Installed
Microsoft Works 8.5 with MS Office Trial Version SoftwareCertified Refurbished
Certified RefurbishedBase
Inspiron 1520 Notebook: Intel Core 2 Duo T5250 (1.5GHz/667Mhz FSB/2MB cache)Media Bay
24X CD RW/DVD Combo DriveNetwork Interface Card
1390 Wireless CardNoteBook Screen
15.4 inch WXGA Anti-Glare Notebook ScreenHardware Upgrade
Integrated 2.0 Mega Pixel Web Camera
9 Cell Primary Battery
Hardware is Microsoft Vista CapableSystem Color
Jet Black

Here's another for $529.00 ...

Inspiron 6400 / E1505
(System Identifier: ZM0YD86J)

* Inspiron 6400/E1505 Notebook: Intel Core Duo Processor T2050 (1.60GHz/533MHz/2 X 1MB L2 Cache)
    * Genuine Windows XP Media Center 2005

System Price   :   $529.00

Operating System
Genuine Windows XP Media Center 2005Memory
1 GB DDR2 SDRAM 533MHz (2 DIMMs)Hard Disk Drive
80 GB EIDE Hard Drive (5400 RPM)Video
Intel Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator 950Scratch & Dent
Scratch & DentMedia Bay
24X CD RW/DVD Combo DriveBase
Inspiron 6400/E1505 Notebook: Intel Core Duo Processor T2050 (1.60GHz/533MHz/2 X 1MB L2 Cache)Hardware Upgrade
6 Cell Primary Battery
Hardware is Microsoft Vista CapableSoftware Upgrade
Microsoft Works 8.5NoteBook Screen
15.4 WXGA Notebook Screen Display with TrueLifeNetwork Interface Card
1390 Wireless Card

They move fast so if you see one you want buy it or likely it will be gone, this is extra true or the cheaper ones. you can chick the price and sort them by price low to high, or high to low.

These aren't topend laptops, but they'll do what you want with some power left over.

Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 07:36:08 AM »

A Dell (refurb, or a new system on the lower end) will fit your criteria.  CheezeFlix suggestion is a good one.  The other that you should check into is a Toshiba.  You can usually find one with specs just a little less than the Dell mentioned above at Best Buy and, if you wait until it is one sale, they are a good deal.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 11:27:47 PM »

Thanks guys,
 I was able to get my hands on a Sony Vaio (VGN-N365E/B) for a great price.  So far (2 hours) its great, but I haven't done much.   The review I have read are pretty good.  I was upset aboutthe lack of XP, but you have to move with the times, even when they are moving slowly.
Thanks for the advice, I was on the way to buying a Dell then had to stop into Office Depot for some other sttuff, and this guy was on sale.  I'll update as anything happens.

-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 01:19:07 AM »

Nothing wrong with a Sony Vaio I've got one and have had one trouble with it. I recently got another laptop (Dell) that came loaded with Vista and I wiped it and loaded XP Pro on it. Not impressed with Vista in the least. I mainly buy Dell's for no other real reason then I've been buying from them for over a decade, I've bought several dozen of them and I have a corporate account so I don't have to deal with the Indian tech support, I talk to a real live a 'merican (or a Indian that can fake a mid-western accent)

Good luck with it? I recommend ..

AVG anti virus (free)
Firefox browser (free)
Thunderbird email client (free)
and if you need a office program OpenOffice is free and it's not bad if you don't have a MSOffice or WordPerfect Office

Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2007, 01:59:48 PM »

If anyone else needs a laptop, this one looks to be a great deal:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1196469485969&type=product&ref=10&loc=01

Specs:

* AMD Turion(TM) 64 X2 1.9 Ghz Dual Core Processor
    * 2GB PC2-5300 DDR2 Memory
    * 160GB Serial ATA (5400 rpm) Hard Drive
    * Double-layer DVD±RW/CD-RW
    * Wireless 802.11 b/g Network
    * ATI RADEON X1250 Video Card w/ HyperMemory
    * Gigabit Ethernet
    * Built-in Webcam
    * WXGA widescreen LCD with CrystalBrite technology (1280 x 800)
    * Windows Vista Home Premium
    * 6.4 lbs

All of that for 500.00!  I wish I had the cash.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
flackbait

The fate of the last door to door salesmen

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2007, 04:31:57 PM »

A Dell (refurb, or a new system on the lower end) will fit your criteria.  CheezeFlix suggestion is a good one.  The other that you should check into is a Toshiba.  You can usually find one with specs just a little less than the Dell mentioned above at Best Buy and, if you wait until it is one sale, they are a good deal.
I can verify that one I was given one as a graduation gift and it seems to work wonders. Although I woudn't recomend it for any gaming though, you can't get a better video card.
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2007, 05:51:20 PM »

I can verify that one I was given one as a graduation gift and it seems to work wonders. Although I woudn't recomend it for any gaming though, you can't get a better video card.

With the money you save over a new one you can upgrade the video. You can also sort by video cards RAM, some systems (laptops and desktops) in the refurbished units have some pretty awesome video cards, but the price goes up accordingly. The laptop I bought a couple of months ago for myself had a Video 512MB NVIDIA GeForce Go 7950 GTX card in it. Works great for gaming and it was a refurb, but it wasn't exactly $500 either, wish it was.

flackbait

The fate of the last door to door salesmen

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2007, 03:10:59 PM »

With the money you save over a new one you can upgrade the video. You can also sort by video cards RAM, some systems (laptops and desktops) in the refurbished units have some pretty awesome video cards, but the price goes up accordingly. The laptop I bought a couple of months ago for myself had a Video 512MB NVIDIA GeForce Go 7950 GTX card in it. Works great for gaming and it was a refurb, but it wasn't exactly $500 either, wish it was.
Dang! 512 MB! I don't think you'll be having any video problems. Although that probably added a couple hundred at least. Thanks for the advice though, I'll have to look at seeing if I can get a refurbished one.
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2007, 07:21:28 PM »

My kids both have HP's and they seem to be really good computers.  My daughters hard drive died after a year and a half, but that happens to the best of them.

She's had the thing for almost three years now. My son has had his for  almost four years with no problems.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Laptops « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.