Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:19:14 PM
714319 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Sledge Hammer « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Sledge Hammer  (Read 8217 times)
Mortal Envelope
Bad Movie Lover

Manos...it's frightening!

« on: December 31, 2007, 07:46:23 AM »

I caught an episode of this 80s komedy cop show the other night.  I guess I remember it being more funny when I was a child than it actually was.  Definitely the Reagan years -no doubt about that.  Had all the cliches too - gung-ho crazy cop who breaks all the rules, the smart female sidekick, and the African American cop chief who YELLS ALL THE TIME.

Still, it was funny when Sledge flew a paper airplane into the chief's hair - and it was there pretty much the rest of the show.

Small | Large

If I remember right, this show had a great big finale at the end of the first season where Sledge tries to disarm a nuke and blows up the city.  Unfortunately, the show was then canceled or at least it was supposed to be and I hear the second season was something like a prequel.  Anyone know the real jist of that? 
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 08:39:33 AM by Mortal Envelope » Logged
the ghoul
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 11:39:26 PM »

The show was about to be cancelled, and the producer knew it, so he decided to end it with a bang.  Then the network changed their mind, and he had to figure out a way to keep the show going, so there was a disclaimer at the beginning of the first episode of season 2 saying that the following episodes take place several years before last season's finale.
RapscallionJones
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Grim & Frostbitten

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 12:21:33 PM »

I got a boot of a bunch of episodes in a video trade once that had me very, very excited.  I loved it when I was, like, 11.  Some friends came over and we were so excited until the tape rolled and we realized how awful it, in fact, was.  Thankfully, the source of the tape was back in 1987 so it had all these hilarious prime time 80's ads and we wound up fast forwarding past the episodes to see commercials for stuff like Speed Stick and Martini and Rossi.

Visit the b-movie blog
http://www.cinema-suicide.com
The required Myspace profile
http://www.myspace.com/cinemasuicide
Sister Grace
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I found my mind in a brown paper bag...

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 09:37:31 PM »

when i was a kid, i waited patiently for sledge hammer and max headroom every week. i never understood why the series didn't make it, but then again, from the point of a ten year old, almost everything is amusing..

Society, exactly as it now exists is the ultimate expression of sadomasochism in action.<br />-boyd rice-<br />On the screen, there\\\'s a death and the rustle of cloth; and a sickly voice calling me handsome...<br />-Nick Cave-
the ghoul
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 12:28:51 AM »

Great show.  I loved it back then.  Now I have the DVDs, and I still love it now!  In fact, it's even better since they removed the laugh track.
RapscallionJones
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Grim & Frostbitten

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 01:01:06 PM »

when i was a kid, i waited patiently for sledge hammer and max headroom every week. i never understood why the series didn't make it, but then again, from the point of a ten year old, almost everything is amusing..
I would kill for a source of Max Headroom episodes.  That s**t was way ahead of its time.  The 80's was really the high-water mark for all things cyberpunk and the Max Headroom show was right on the money in terms of themes and tones.  It's a shame that it didn't last.  I think the fact that it didn't contain any immediately recognizable characteristics of science fiction kept it from being entirely embraced by that culture and the fact that Max was really just a sidebar character for a show that criticized the direction that corporate and media culture was heading turned a lot of people off who were looking for catch phrases spoken in stuttered phrase.

Everything else is out on DVD.  More TV shows than you can shake a stick at, so why the hell hasn't this one come down yet?

Visit the b-movie blog
http://www.cinema-suicide.com
The required Myspace profile
http://www.myspace.com/cinemasuicide
badmovielovers
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 07:34:27 AM »

"trust me .... I know what I'm doing!" Ya I rented it on net flicks and i keep spacing out while I was watching it!
Now I did the same with Dinasours but when I was a kid on the ABC TGIF line up it rocked but now the freaking babe scares me.....It has purple eyes!!! Buggedout

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!
Warp Ninja X
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 10:33:50 PM »

Oh man this was one my favorite shows I still laugh about the pilot when they tell Sledge to get the sniper off the building. So they thought he get his sniper gun but he gets a bazooka and blows up the building.
InspectorDC
Dedicated Viewer

Man of low moral fiber

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 01:42:04 PM »

Loved this as a kid, and just revisited it for the first time today actually with the pilot episode. Pretty bad, but therein lies it's charm, those really awful jokes make me laugh like when he tells the Mayor he'll get her daughter back dead or alive
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 06:10:52 PM »

I enjoyed this show as well...I was in my mid 20's at he time....and high,and drunk. I picked up a vhs of 3 episodes....I barely made it through the first. Total let down. Some things DON'T get better with age. Like GET SMART...I used to think this was some "wild and wacvky" stuff...but it's just seems stupid now. Yet the 3 STOOGES just seem to get funnier and funnier!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
JJ80
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2008, 04:33:41 PM »

Max Headroom is actually back in a small way! The character is used in Channel 4's adverts for the changeover from analogue to digital TV in the UK. I think he's still played by Mark Frewer and is presented as a ranting, embittered and balding pensionner living in an old folk's home by the seaside.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 08:11:07 AM by JJ80 » Logged
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2008, 04:13:15 PM »

They only used Max for a littlle bit, that was the only reason I paid any attention to the switch over.
Since I haven't seen him in a while I'm back to being clueless as to when this will happen and how it affects me!

--Sledgehammer was excellent from what I can remember, It's been such a long time since I saw it last. I was maybe about 11, they were showing re-runs on Sci-Fi. Bring It Back! Damn it!

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Sledge Hammer « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.