Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:37:11 AM
714229 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Adventures of Baron Munchausen special edition Blu-Ray DVD due 4/8/08 « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Adventures of Baron Munchausen special edition Blu-Ray DVD due 4/8/08  (Read 6156 times)
Torgo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: December 20, 2007, 07:06:33 PM »

from digitalbits.com

Sony has revealed that The Adventures of Baron Munchausen: 20th Anniversary Edition will debut on Blu-ray Disc on 4/8. Special features will include a BD Java "graphics and picture track," audio commentary with director Terry Gilliam & co-writer/actor Charles McKeown, The Madness and Misadventures of Munchausen 3-part documentary, 3 featurettes (As We Once Dreamed It, A Voyage to the Moon and The Baron & Bucephalos Charge the Turkish Gates) and deleted scenes.

I didn't see anything on a standard DVD release but I'm keeping my fingers crossed as I haven't made the HD jump yet due to not having the money.   TongueOut

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
GoHawks
Bad Movie Lover

Happiness is a dancing beagle.

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 12:58:04 AM »

<snip>  I didn't see anything on a standard DVD release but I'm keeping my fingers crossed as I haven't made the HD jump yet due to not having the money.

I have this on standard DVD that I picked up at Fry's for $10.  (Interestingly, I can't seem to find it at that link for sale now.  Bluesad)

Personally, besides not having the cash, I'm waiting for a clear winner in the format wars before going high-def.

"Please do not offer my god a peanut."  -  Apu
Pilgermann

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 04:51:57 PM »

Amazon has this for pre-order on Blu-Ray and regular DVD (phew!  I'm not ready to upgrade to hi-def).  You can also vote for the cover art.  All of the choices are ugly, but I thought the third on was the lesser evil.  There's a small box that links to the voting below the price info:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0011E5M66/ref=wl_it_dp?ie=UTF8&coliid=IVN4KOI1TZYK3&colid=2QOCSNT327FKA

I'm really excited about this.  I recently sold my Criterion laserdisc (I don't even have a laserdisc player) but it sounds like the special features aren't exactly the same other than deleted scenes and maybe some of the behind the scenes footage.

Torgo

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 08:54:13 PM »

Glad to see that they're releasing this on standard DVD as well.  I hadn't checked on Amazon yet.

BTW, I don't think that Uma Thurman has every been prettier than she was in Baron Munchausen. In fact, this is the film that first made me take notice of her back in the day when I saw it in theaters.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 11:09:33 PM by Torgo » Logged

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
SynapticBoomstick
Cinematic Monster Fanatic from Weird New Jersey
Bad Movie Lover

One monster with extra cheese, hold the plot.

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2007, 10:53:13 PM »

Glad to see that they're releasing this on standard DVD as well.  I hadn't checked on Amazon yet.

BTW, I don't think that Uma Thurman has every been prettier than she was in Baron Munchausen. In fact, this is the film that first made me take notice of her back in the day when I saw it in theaters.

No kidding, that really is Uma Thurman. She's definitely a beautiful woman.

This movie was my childhood, I'm so glad it's coming out on DVD.

Kleel's rule is harsh :-B
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 07:16:03 PM »

I loves me some Münchhausen!!

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 08:18:42 PM »

Exactly what I have always said of her in the movie (since I found the right way to express it).  She does a bang-up job in acting in many other movies, but the way she looked as the goddess was perfect.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
316zombie
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 04:21:29 PM »

just curious,have you seen any of the earlier versions?
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 08:08:08 PM »

I didn't see anything on a standard DVD release but I'm keeping my fingers crossed as I haven't made the HD jump yet due to not having the money.   TongueOut

I refuse to switch, as already said there is no clear leader between Blu-ray and HDDVD and besides most of the old movie I watch were never shot in HD so it wouldn't make a difference anyway.

Pilgermann

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2008, 01:48:38 PM »

I refuse to switch, as already said there is no clear leader between Blu-ray and HDDVD and besides most of the old movie I watch were never shot in HD so it wouldn't make a difference anyway.

From the looks of it, Blu-ray will be the winning format this year.  Warner Bros. and New Line just announced that they'll both be exclusively Blu-ray by the end of May (Warner Bros. said they'd continue making new HD-DVDs until then, unlike when Paramount/Dreamworks were paid to go HD exclusive and cancelled several of their Blu-ray discs).

As for old movies not being shot in HD, if a film is shot on 35mm it has just as much resolution as a high definition image.  Any film will look better in high def.  If something was shot on 16mm or less, or the source materials are poor in the first place then I'd imagine high def won't make much difference, especially for a lot of b-movies.  But it's not like anyone has to ditch their old DVDs.

I'd make an exception for a movie like Baron Munchausen in high definition.  It's such a visually beautiful movie that it would benefit from being on blu-ray.  But so far I'm not ready to invest in any sort of high definition technology--I don't even have an HD-TV.

CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2008, 07:21:01 PM »

As for old movies not being shot in HD, if a film is shot on 35mm it has just as much resolution as a high definition image.  Any film will look better in high def.  If something was shot on 16mm or less, or the source materials are poor in the first place then I'd imagine high def won't make much difference, especially for a lot of b-movies.  But it's not like anyone has to ditch their old DVDs.

I think a lot of the movie I watch are shot on Super 8, seriously I have a HDTV, but I'm not upgrading my DVD players until the format is clear and likely by then they'll come out with something new like super Hi-def movies on a thumb drive or chip or maybe holographic projections or maybe a plug straight into your head. Who knows what the future will bring.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Adventures of Baron Munchausen special edition Blu-Ray DVD due 4/8/08 « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.