Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:34:54 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  The Iowa Caucuses (I'll be attending and posting video) « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: The Iowa Caucuses (I'll be attending and posting video)  (Read 23080 times)
ulthar
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2008, 03:15:40 AM »

I don't know about that.  All this caucus nonsense seems kinda kooky for folks like me who live in a 'Constitutional Monarchy'.  Makes it a hell of a lot easier to vote though...  None of this standing around nonsense.  TeddyR

Hi Dean,

Actually I was not thinking of you posting when I typed that, but Good Welcome to the "Other Side."   :teddyr

To you, our system must seem kinda funny.  But what I REALLY want to know is about the sailing, snorlkeling and diving there.....especially on the East Coast.   BounceGiggle

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2008, 08:26:03 AM »

Well, I finally went to my first caucus last night and it was a bit different than I had thought it would be.
I think the turnout was somewhere around 123-125 people which was a good thing, because when I got home and turned on the news, they had news reporters at mega caucuses where 500-1000+ people turned out.
That must've been a madhouse.

(Click on the thumbnails to see larger pics)

At the sign up table

They held the caucus at my precinct at a local building one block away from my place.
Most of the people there seemed very nice...

Waiting in line

That is except for some of the Clinton supporters.
They kept cheering for Hillary at all the wrong times, sometimes interrupting the guy running the show.
And several of the women on the Clinton side were downright loopy.
(I think I say that out loud in the video at one point)   Smile
I heard one woman snapping on one of the other candidate's supporters and then she stalked off towards her table.  (I never did find out what it was all about.)
And the guy in the blue shirt with the white beard and black stocking cap on the Clinton side (you can see him in the video) had a huge wet stain on the seat of his pants.  I don't know if he fell on his ass in the snow before he got there or if he soiled himself.  Either way, you could hear people talking about it under their breath to their friends or people sitting near them.
And he was elected as a delegate!

Other than a few wacky people showing up, it went pretty much by the numbers.
The people running it all seemed organized and did the best they could.

And Obama won!   Cheers

The Obama precinct captain and his assistant

At our precinct, it ended up being 2 delegates for Obama.
Two delegates for Clinton and one for Edwards.
Three people did show up to support Chris Dodd and one guy came to support Kucinich but during the realignment phase, three were absorbed into the Clinton side and the Kucinich guy came over to the Obama tables.
I think there was a ouple of Biden supporters but I disn't pay attention to what tables they went to.
I was expecting that part of the caucus to take at least a half hour but all it took was about 5 minutes. 

More people waiting in line

We then wrapped it up about 20-30 minutes later and everyone except the precinct captains left.

I shot about 45 minutes worth of footage while there.
Since videos on Youtube cannot be longer than ten minutes, I had to first chop it in half and then trim up quite a bit with my editing software.
I tried to trim it down as best I could without it being boring and focus on the major events that took place there.
Also, you'll notice that it sometimes goes black for a second or two, that's just the fader effect.
I kept fiddling with the fader, wipe and dissolve features while shooting but didn't put them in any kind of order.
Sometimes there isn't a transition effect...it just cuts to the next scene.
I never really planned out how I was gonna shoot it, I just went and shot it on the fly.
The intro and outro by me were planned.   Wink

Each video is roughly about 9 minutes long and there are two parts.
(Part 1 and Part 2)

If you really want to see what it's like to participate in a caucus, take 15-20 minutes and check out the videos below.

Enjoy!   Smile

Attending an Iowa Caucus: Part 1
Small | Large

---------------------------------

Part 2
Small | Large

-----------------------

What do you think?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 10:08:01 AM by Ash » Logged
raj

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2008, 08:39:23 AM »

Karma for attending/participating and the video.

Dang, that precinct captain's assistant looks sweet.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2008, 08:40:52 AM »

I can't watch Youtube videos on my computer (I think it's got little squirrels running on a wheel for a CPU), but it sounds like an interesting time.  The Obama precinct captain looks exactly like I'd expect an Obama precinct captain to look like.  Funny to hear about the obnoxious Clinton supporters, that too is exactly as I would have expected  TeddyR  Even though I disagree with your political choices, I hope you have a good time getting involved in all this stuff.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2008, 08:59:51 AM »

Dang, that precinct captain's assistant looks sweet.

Funny thing about her...
Her name is Katherine and she had this really sexy Hispanic accent.
When I told her I was going to post the videos on Youtube, she asked if I'd e-mail her the link to the videos.
I said sure and gave her a notecard to write it down on.
Not only did she write it down, she left her phone number on it too!   Twirling

So maybe I'll give her a call.   Wink

« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 10:15:09 AM by Ash » Logged
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2008, 09:53:32 AM »

I don't know if he fell on his ass in the snow before he got there or if he soiled himself.  Either way, you could hear people talking about it under their breath to their friends or people sitting near them.

Buggedout

she left her phone number on it too!

Cheers Thumbup
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2008, 10:17:46 AM »

I think Obama is the best the democrat's have to offer, but so far he hasn't been asked any hard questions and when he hits the stage were he doesn't get a bunch of soft ball questions you'll see the chinks in his armor. Seems like a nice guy I just don't think he has the experience needed to run the nation. He makes great speeches but speeches does not make a leader. He seem to struggle at debates were he is not scripted in all fairness the democratic debates so far have been powder puff, with no real hard questions and no real clear answers. On the national stage I'm afraid he'll be weighed, measured and found lacking.
And for the record I'm not that impressed with the republican winner, Huckabee either. I've got some real questions about some of his actions as Governor. A leopard doesn't change his spots.

Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2008, 10:56:32 AM »

As I said previously Ash, fascinating stuff.  Also, congrats on getting the chick's # - very cool.

I watched the caucuses on CNN last night for about two or three hours straight.  I actually thought that Clinton was going to pull ahead of Obama before the caucuses started.  I didn't think there was even much support for Edwards, so I was surprised as hell when Edwards initially took the lead over both Clinton and Obama.  It was great to see Obama win this caucus, and I hope that it just a sign of things to come. 

As for someone saying that Obama hasn't really faced any hard questions yet, I do believe you are right on that point.  That being said though, take a look at Bush, a man who is notorious for handpicking the people who show up to this speeches and who's people script out softball questions to be asked at his Q n As.  You ever watch some of those down home style speeches he does on occasion?  It's sickening.

As for Hucakbee's side.....I don't want the guy to be president.  I fully believe in separation of church and state, and I feel that holds true to the president as well.  Huckabee is an ordained Southern Baptist minister and I've seen him use that point numerous times to pull votes.  I'm one who believes that one's religion should not be a staple of their run for office, but sadly that is not the case.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2008, 01:40:41 PM »

Well, you can bet Obama will be using his race as a staple of his run for office.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2008, 05:45:04 PM »

So when did the enact the separation of race and state?  ;)

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2008, 06:23:56 PM »

As for someone saying that Obama hasn't really faced any hard questions yet, I do believe you are right on that point.  That being said though, take a look at Bush, a man who is notorious for handpicking the people who show up to this speeches and who's people script out softball questions to be asked at his Q n As.  You ever watch some of those down home style speeches he does on occasion?  It's sickening.

Bush isn't running for president. Who, what, when, where, why questions really are moot as they well not effect the 2008 out come.

The current Republican field like them or not they've already faced "real" questions where as the democrats have ducked and dodge any real questioning and only appeared on softball shows. I'd be happy to consider any canidate on either side of the aisle IF and ONLY IF I hear real answers (i.e. not sound bite and talking points) from real questions and not powder puff venues like Oprah.

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2008, 08:12:25 PM »

Karma to Ash for helping derail the Hillary Express!!!  (That woman scares me! Buggedout)

I'm not on fire for any of the Republican candidates, but I am prepared to like Huckabee based on what I have seen and heard so far . . . yes, parts of his record as governor trouble me, but there is SOMETHING troubling about all of them.

As far as the church/state separation issue, of the 39 delegates who became signers of the Constitution, over 20 had degrees in divinity . . . President Rutherford Hayes was an ordained minister, and several Presidents have been Pastor's sons.  Baptists have positions on public issues, true, but we also strongly believe in the separation of church and state - Roger Williams, the guy who came up with that whole concept, also built the first Baptist church in America.

Anyway, here's to freedom of choice, and freedom of speech! Cheers

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2008, 12:53:36 AM »

Karma to Ash for helping derail the Hillary Express!!!  (That woman scares me! Buggedout)

I'm not on fire for any of the Republican candidates, but I am prepared to like Huckabee based on what I have seen and heard so far . . . yes, parts of his record as governor trouble me, but there is SOMETHING troubling about all of them.

As far as the church/state separation issue, of the 39 delegates who became signers of the Constitution, over 20 had degrees in divinity . . . President Rutherford Hayes was an ordained minister, and several Presidents have been Pastor's sons.  Baptists have positions on public issues, true, but we also strongly believe in the separation of church and state - Roger Williams, the guy who came up with that whole concept, also built the first Baptist church in America.

Anyway, here's to freedom of choice, and freedom of speech! Cheers
Oh yes Freedom of Speech, I gotta weigh in here,RUTHERFORD B. HAYES may be overlookable, not to suggest he was inadequate or less than great, but in relation to our forefathers, even of the 20th century, RUTHERFORD is not so nearly outstanding and the least likely to be surprising as an "ordained minister."  Separation of church and state indeed!   Smile   Thumbup karma to Indianasmith

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2008, 12:57:08 AM »

The current Republican field like them or not they've already faced "real" questions where as the democrats have ducked and dodge any real questioning and only appeared on softball shows. I'd be happy to consider any canidate on either side of the aisle IF and ONLY IF I hear real answers (i.e. not sound bite and talking points) from real questions and not powder puff venues like Oprah.
Gotta give you karma, my friend, you've said it the way I see it.   Thumbup

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2008, 09:12:14 AM »

Poor old Hayes was one of those overlooked Presidents who might have done very well in another time.  He was elected in a tainted contest in 1876 and his opponents never let him live it down.  They called him "RutherFRAUD Hayes" and "His Fraudulency" his whole presidency . . . . I guess the politics of personal destruction is nothing new.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  The Iowa Caucuses (I'll be attending and posting video) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.