Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:38:57 PM
713364 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Old Comedians « previous next »
Poll
Question: Whats your favorite old Comedian?
Little Rascals
Luarel and Hardy
The Marx Brothers
Bob Hope/Bing Crosby
Dean Martin And Jerry Lewis
Charley Chaplin
Buster Keaton
Harold Loyd
W.C. Fields
The three Stooges
Carey Grant
Other
Abbot and Costello

Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Old Comedians  (Read 14090 times)
CheezeFlixz
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2008, 02:01:48 AM »

Quote from: peter johnson
Roscoe Arbuckle.  It is almost impossible to find Arbuckle's work in compilations these days, let alone on its own, due to his besmirchment over the death of Virginia Rappe.

Here is a link to mucho Fatty films.

http://www.a-1video.com/arbuckle.htm

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2008, 09:13:58 AM »

I picked up a DVD of Laurel and Hardy movies a short while back. The feature length FLYING DUECES leads it off-and there are some silent shorts of them both...some as a duo...some on their own...which are quit good. Stan was more aggresive in his earlier films without Ollie. Both of them apart are quit different then the charecters they play in their more famous films as 'the Boys.'

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
flackbait

The fate of the last door to door salesmen

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2008, 01:26:26 PM »

I really should apologize for being so forgetful. The day I made this poll I was a little absent minded. So I reset the poll and updated the choices. I hope this works better.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 01:32:36 PM by flackbait » Logged
peter johnson

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2008, 02:19:36 PM »

Re. CheeseFlixz --
I should know better in this day and age to doubt the availability of anything on the net (re. Arbuckle) --
Great site -- But now I'm tempted to p**s away lots of money on old tapes -- Oh, well, I knew the site was dangerous when I joined up --
peter johnson/denny crane

I have no idea what this means.
Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2008, 01:19:59 AM »

I voted for the Marx Bros. and other (for Jack Benny). The Marxes is a given. Groucho especially had a huge effect on me, but I wind up swiping lines from Chico as I get older, but even with the accent, I'm surprised how few people catch the references. Sad really.

The names mentioned seem to be mostly film comedians, Benny made some films, but only a few are worth mention. Radio and later TV were where his best work was done. Even Benny got comic mileage slamming his film career, mostly The Horn Blows at Midnight. Personally I love Buck Benny Rides Again, it's a film riffing on his radio show hiatus vacation and lots of the the jokes only really work if you are familiar with the staples of his show: the "feud" with Fred Allen, his greed and cheapness, Jack's worn out Maxwell car, Dennis Day, and it was fun to actually SEE Carmichael in action.

I've only recently heard much of Fred Allen first hand, but it's wild to see how much of what was done on his show was copied by others, and just how many gags from old Warner Bros. cartoons are "borrowed" from his show. I would recommend seeking out the Fred Allen movie It's In The Bag. So-so film programmer comedy on it's own, but Allen's fourth wall breaking voice over narration is fantastic, predating DVD commentaries and MST3K by decades.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
peter johnson

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2008, 02:34:19 PM »

Yeah, Fred Allen -- Lost to the ages --
Speaking of Warner's, Foghorn Leghorn was a direct "borrow" from Allen's Senator Claghorn -- voice, jokes, the whole schmeer --
A lot of what Allen did would not go over as well today, for though he was a good-hearted fellow, much of his humor depended on ethnic stereotyping -- comical stingy Jews and Irish drunks, etc. -- that has fallen out of fashion.  Still and all, a visit to his "closet" on the old radio shows holds up as surrealistic humor, ala Steve Martin.
peter johnson/denny crane

I have no idea what this means.
Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2008, 05:47:45 PM »

I noticed the ethnic stereotypes on a box set of tapes I've got that I've been listening to off and on. He had a murder mystery spoof that was pretty good and built all around one punchline, but Allen's Asia detective character, One Lung Pan (IIRC), and the jokes of people not being able to understand him when he spoke wouldn't last anytime at all now.

Mrs. Nussbaum, Ajax Cassidy, and the other regulars on Allen's Alley really are from another time also. Although I'm convinced the annoyingly popular morning radio program The Johnboy and Billy Big Show has recycled one of Allen's old characters as their pretentious commentator, Oliver. They rip off bits and characters from everywhere else, and do their own fair share of stereotyping as well.

I knew Foghorn Leghorn was "borrowed" from Senator Claghorn, I just hadn't heard the original much until now, he's probably my favorite since I know so many fellow Southerners who have that same ego and braggadocio, just the accent isn't quite the same, wrong part of the South and not being Southern gentry folk.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Old Comedians « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.