Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:31:21 PM
714382 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Are you Green? « previous next »
Poll
Question: Are you Green?
Green as green can be. - 0 (0%)
Medium green, I try more than average. - 4 (40%)
Light green, I try a little not much. - 5 (50%)
Not green at all, leave all those lights on. - 1 (10%)
Brown, I've got a carbon foot print the size of the moon. - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 9

Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Are you Green?  (Read 7394 times)
CheezeFlixz
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Pathetic Earthlings

« on: January 05, 2008, 12:09:23 PM »

In 2012 you will see the death of the incandescent light bulb. (100W gone by 2010 and the 40W by 2014) That's right as of now that would be no more dimmers switches, and fickled 3 ways bulbs as everything is going to compact fluorescents. Well there was a study in a town (I'm looking for the link) that went GREEN, energy efficient everything and their energy use saw no change, that's right no change and some people's usage actually went up. Reason being they felt with energy efficient everything they could use more. Lights were left on that normally got turned off, thermostats turned up or down as it was claimed it used less energy.
I have a 60's hippy friend that went green like a frog in 2007 (Jan. 1) and recycled everything, energy efficient everything and tracked their expenses. After a year (This Jan 1, 2008) they added it all up and saw minimal change in kW average use per month over the prior year. The change was so slight it fell far short of paying for just the compact fluorescents they switched out to.
The following comment from Lynn Clement of Focus on Energy: “If every American household replaces light bulbs in their five most frequently used fixtures with Energy Star compact fluorescent bulbs, we could save more than $8 billion in annual energy costs and prevent greenhouse gasses equal to the emissions of more than 10 million cars.”
Well I don't know were Lynn is getting her numbers, but from what I seen it would have little to no effect at all and fall far short of the $8,000,000,000.00 she claims.

Is freedom of choice dying or is it dead?

In my opinion, show me the proof, show me the facts and let me make up my own mind as to what light bulb I want use. My wife bought green bulbs at the tune of about $5 each and $14 each for 3-way bulbs, most of which we can't use because nearly every overhead light is on a dimmer, under counter, bookcase and cabinet lights all on dimmers and CF bulbs don't work on dimmers ... looks like I need to stock up or order bulbs from Russia if I expect to keep my current switches/dimmers. And who is going to pay to replace them and what with I do with the ones I can no longer use? Seems wasteful to me.

So are you green? Do you think it will really make a difference? Or is more "save the earth" propaganda to cram personal agendas down the publics throat?

Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 12:18:06 PM »

We make real effort, but do not go crazy trying to be green.  Still, most would probably see us as very green conscious.

We do have all CFL bulbs.  Along with that, we always turn off lights that we are not using and keep reminding the kids about turning off lights.  We have curbside recycling here and recycle to the fullest.  Why not?  If not, the stuff is going into a landfill.  We keep the thermostat set to reasonable levels and have it set to turn down at night when we are in our warm beds.  We take quick showers and try to conserve water.

Comparing how much you spent on energy from year to year is not a good comparison.  Due to inflation and increased energy prices, if you are spending the same amount on heating and electricity this year - you are saving.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 12:36:33 PM »

I'm somewhat green.
Back when I used to live in my old apartment, I became obsessed with recycling everything.
But here in the apt. I live in now, they don't offer recycling and for a while after I first moved in, it drove me nuts.

And I really, really hate flourescent lights.
No other light source is as artificial and headache inducing as flourescent light.
I love the soft yellow glow that comes from incandescent bulbs and dread the day they become banned.   Thumbdown
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 12:45:50 PM »

I dunno . . . on the one hand, I do believe in being a good steward of our environment; on the other hand, I get sick and tired of the relentless anticapitalist fearmongering regarding environmental issues, especially the coercion and verbal abuse heaped on America by the global warming Gestapo.  Michael Crichton's latest novel, STATE OF FEAR, is a scathing commentary on the global warming crowd.   Suffice it to say I remain skeptical . . . .

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 12:48:59 PM »

I'm probably sorta teal.   I 've used CFLs for a long time, mainly because they don't burn out every month like incandescents.

I do go around turning out lights all the time, especially during the daytime because I prefer natural light.

Hey Cheeze, I was just in Walmart the other day and saw that they had 3way CFLs.  I would like to put some CFLs in my ceiling fan lights, but I hate the way those curly ones look and all the ones that look like regular bulbs put out very low lumens. 

The big problems with CFL's is they are going to have to find a way to recycle them. They contain mercury and that's not a good thing to be dumping in the land fills.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 01:54:25 PM »

I'm brown.  one, I drive for a living and two, I don't believe any of the recycling global warming hype.  You want to see a really degraded environment go t any communist or formerly communist country.  great big piles of gunk and chemicals.
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 02:13:52 PM »

I won't say we are "green" because I hate that label.  But I abhor waste of any kind, and I do believe in recycling that which can be recycled.  As Andrew said, "why not."  To me, this stuff needs to be regrounded in common sense.  I don't see running around asking everyone what their "carbon footprint" is to be productive - just more feel-good non-substance.

These guys Small | Large
are doing some interesting research.  Watch the video and think about that the next you throw a plastic drink bottle, or anything else plastic, into the garbage.  Pretty impressive.

Cheez, thanks for the info on certain behaviors not reducing cost.  It would be good to have some actual numbers (if you can dig up the link.... TongueOut ), but I would like to say this.  Sometimes it is not about reducing cost (though admittedly, that's the way it is marketed).

Also, the problem with use increasage is the same when people buy more fuel efficient cars.  Often, they simply drive more, all the while bragging to their friends about how they get 35 mpg.  Couple that with folks, like some in my family, that will drive an extra ten miles to save 2 or 3 cents per gallon on a 15 gallon tank.  So they save 30-45 cents; if the vehicle gets 30 mpg, the trip costs around $1.  Yet I've never been able to convince them of the folly of this, all just to say "I paid less than you per gallon."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2008, 03:12:14 PM »

Quote from: Andrew
Comparing how much you spent on energy from year to year is not a good comparison.  Due to inflation and increased energy prices, if you are spending the same amount on heating and electricity this year - you are saving.

The couple I know didn't base it on energy cost they based it on kilowatt hours used and saw little change from prior year, therefore adjusted for inflation they saw no savings. Their conclusion was that energy saving lights, appliances, etc. really didn't save any energy based on consumption. 

Quote from: trekgeezer
Hey Cheeze, I was just in Walmart the other day and saw that they had 3way CFLs.  I would like to put some CFLs in my ceiling fan lights, but I hate the way those curly ones look and all the ones that look like regular bulbs put out very low lumens.

Yes, I've seen them in other stores and I've bought a pack of 4 for something like $30 and one didn't work, one only worked on one wattage and the other two kind of worked, as sometimes they come on in a 3 way switch and other times not. So living out in the county I have to load up in my gas hog Dodge Ram and burn 2 gallons of gas to go back to town to replace them.

The big problems with CFL's is they are going to have to find a way to recycle them. They contain mercury and that's not a good thing to be dumping in the land fills.

Correct and that is were 99% will go, right into the dump. In places like where I live were there is little to no recycling centers, people are not going to drive 20-40 miles to a decent size city to recycle a burnt out $2 bulb.

Quote from: ulthar
I don't see running around asking everyone what their "carbon footprint" is to be productive - just more feel-good non-substance.

I used 'carbon footprint' which I think it goofy because it's the current phasology. I'm sure with my business, shop, office, house, lighting, equipment, tractors, rural living and many others things I have a so called carbon footprint the size of a small country.

Cheez, thanks for the info on certain behaviors not reducing cost.  It would be good to have some actual numbers (if you can dig up the link.... TongueOut ), but I would like to say this.  Sometimes it is not about reducing cost (though admittedly, that's the way it is marketed).

I'm still looking for it and I'll look more, I read it a couple or so months ago and didn't bookmark it. (Doh) I had to go give a estimate and I have to give another this afternoon. Gotta pay the bills of my footprint some how. TongueOut

BTM

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2008, 03:12:27 PM »

What I really love is getting lectures on how i should ride the bus or carpool from a guy who owns FOUR mansions (each which consume way more power than the average home) and flies around in private jets.

Do as I say, not as I do, indeed!

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
316zombie
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2008, 04:06:29 PM »

we are green for one reason-money!we get paid for recycled aluminum,money goes to the humane society,we can deduct it.we turn the lights off,it saves money,same for lowering the heat when possible.we are now in the second year of being homeowners,and we intend to install central air,with a new furnace from our tax refund,why?to save money on bills,yet another tax deduction,and last,for comfort.yaddayadda,it all comes down to money for us.yeah,it's nice to help the environment,but for us,it's all about saving money.no offense.
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2008, 04:06:43 PM »

And I really, really hate flourescent lights.
No other light source is as artificial and headache inducing as flourescent light.
I love the soft yellow glow that comes from incandescent bulbs and dread the day they become banned.   Thumbdown

Energy-saving light bulbs blamed for migraines
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.jhtml?xml=/earth/2008/01/03/eabulb103.xml

Pilgermann

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2008, 04:17:14 PM »

I tried out an energy saving bulb once, and the quality of the light is just ugly.  I'd rather light my house with candles, and at least that would be far more energy efficient.

316zombie
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2008, 04:21:12 PM »

we have those bulbs at work,i hate them!they reflect off the metal walls worse than a regular bulb,and they leave corners alot darker...and it makes my skin look green in my work bathroom,i hate that!
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2008, 04:31:21 PM »

we have those bulbs at work,i hate them!they reflect off the metal walls worse than a regular bulb,and they leave corners alot darker...and it makes my skin look green in my work bathroom,i hate that!

Perhaps you really are a zombie.

I tried out an energy saving bulb once, and the quality of the light is just ugly.  I'd rather light my house with candles, and at least that would be far more energy efficient.

And in the winter you get added heat. I swear at Christmas my wife had so many candles burning the heat never kicked on. Of course now I need to paint the ceilings, but they needed anyway.

ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2008, 04:33:11 PM »

I used 'carbon footprint' which I think it goofy because it's the current phasology. I'm sure with my business, shop, office, house, lighting, equipment, tractors, rural living and many others things I have a so called carbon footprint the size of a small country.

Ooops.  I was not directing my comment at you (or anyone else here).  I was directing it at thost annoying commericals and shows on TV that use that term like it really means something...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Are you Green? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.