Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 09:28:32 PM
712916 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  The Unofficial Badmovies.org Random Thought Thread! « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 1049 1050 [1051] 1052 1053 ... 1299
Author Topic: The Unofficial Badmovies.org Random Thought Thread!  (Read 2695342 times)
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #15750 on: July 30, 2015, 10:33:00 PM »

What are you talking about?  You are a blubbering boob.  Me love you long time.   TeddyR

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #15751 on: July 31, 2015, 12:11:50 AM »

Cats are often in two places at the same time.  Cat brain. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #15752 on: July 31, 2015, 12:12:40 AM »

Eh, didn't feel like posting a whole new thread...

http://wtvr.com/2015/07/30/%E2%80%8Efind-the-girls-on-the-negatives/

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #15753 on: July 31, 2015, 12:16:04 AM »

Cats are often in two places at the same time.  Cat brain. 

Gee! In my case, they call it ADHD, Aspergers', and a few things I'd rather not repeat.

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #15754 on: July 31, 2015, 09:07:56 AM »

I am astounded at the level of nastiness in reactions to yesterday's announcement that the Boy Scouts of America is removing its ban on gay leaders.  I've seen some ugly stuff on the 'net, but some of these people have achieved new heights in bigotry and vitriol.  It is not that there are people who are upset, it is that those people are so darn UGLY about it whilst purporting to be upstanding pillars of society.   Buggedout  They are so worked up and so blinded by their fears that what they write comes off as the ravings of delusional persons of far below average intelligence.  I imagine it's a blessing they are not able to see that it does not reflect well on them at all.  They're nothing less than shrill.  Just a measure of how very scared they are, I suppose.  I thought this sort of thing was only in fiction!

Maybe I should preface my long post here by saying I have lived around gays my entire life, have loved a few with all my heart (like my cousin Tyler) and supported gay marriage well before it was the trendy feel-good cause it's become. When I was a teenager I was walking into a Krogers store and Boy Scouts were fund-raising by selling popcorn, and I told them I wouldn't buy anything from them until Boy Scouts lifted its ban on gays. The look of disgust given to me by the gray-haired gentleman running the stand is only too memorable. Do I still feel that way? Yes...but.

I haven't seen the posts Newt's talking about, I can imagine they're disturbing, and I agree there are clearly some people out there who truly detest homosexuals (and even a few who do genuinely fear them amid all the passive-aggressive accusations of "homophobia"), just as there are gays who hate heterosexuals ("breeders", anyone?) and spreading hate about others isn't what someone ought to do. I also think in theory a gay person is every bit as capable of being as fine a scout leaders as a straight individual.

But let me play devil's advocate for a moment and mention that I was raised in a religion in which men with homosexual orientations, celibate or not, made up a vast part of the clergy, and a great many of these men took advantage of their proximity to vulnerable young males to sexually abuse them, something that was made possible by the very nature of a priest's position of trust and influence: a position much like that of a Scout leader.

I am not talking exclusively of pedophilia, since often the violation of trust arose from an abuser being in a leadership role and taking advantage of that authority to prey on those who were no longer strictly "children." (In fact if you look into case histories of victims of abuse within the Catholic Church, the average age of victims was something like fourteen, a confused time in life, and roughly about the same age a lot of Boy Scouts would be.)

Concern for what COULD be isn't grounds for spreading hate against gays or arguably even a valid reason to maintain a ban on them in an organization like Boy Scouts, but I have to ask, is it completely out of the pale of possibility to think that abuse of young people is going to happen in the future that would not have happened had gays not been admitted into Scouting leadership?

To say it's impossible is to say gay men have more control over their sexuality than straight men, and I'm not sure I'd cast a blanket statement of trust on straight men in general as being safe to go on campouts with a bunch of teenage girls.

So anyway, I'm, sure the admission of gay men into Scouting leadership is a done deal, and I'm sure in most cases the result won't lead to harm. I'm certain there are many gay teens who would even feel more comfortable with a gay Scout leader. But I would also be willing to bet that in years to come some adolescents will experience abuse they wouldn't have had their leaders not been physically attracted to their shared gender, and those who aren't willing to admit that are being naive. Human nature is too prone to making mistakes for that not to be the case. And also, as a lot of people seem all too willing to comfortably forget, gay culture is actually founded upon sex: a desire to have a type of sex is what makes someone gay. Sex is too much at the forefront of gay life for it to be discounted. If you think otherwise, you haven't spent much time around gays.

But I do completely agree with Newt that reviling and targeting gays with cruel language is also absolutely wrong, and I don't think the average gay man entering Scouting would do so to use the organization as a pick-up bar. But a few invariably will, and that's sad.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #15755 on: July 31, 2015, 11:31:24 AM »

The discussions I have seen have been on BSA discussion forums and pages.  If you do not go or belong there, there is little likelihood that you'd see the comments.  These are largely people within the organisation. Which is where some of the astonishment comes in: one does not expect people in Scouting to be so hateful.

ER, there have always been gay leaders in the BSA.  They just kept it secret, on a personal level.  Now they do not have to.

I am sure that what you have outlined is very close to what drives the panic response.

As for the increased 'opportunity':  here in Canada we have been completely 'co-ed' in Scouting for many years.  
Following your line of reasoning, ANY 'straight' male Scouter or teacher or minister or doctor or any other authority figure could be seducing all the girls, too.  The 'straight' female leaders could be prowling for young boys, as well.  Should we be segregating everything in life on the basis of sexuality?  Only straight female doctors for all straight females and so on down the line?

When we go looking for "what might happen" we have to be reasonable.  It's called "taking reasonable care and precaution" - the insurance industry is fond of that phrase and you can bet THEY are risk-averse.  Homosexuals are just as likely to be good, reasonable human beings of 'good' character as anyone else.

To become a Scouter there is a long vetting process to go through.  Multiple references are checked, multi-level interviews and training sessions.  Here in Canada we have a rule that Scouters must always be "two deep" : meaning there must always - ALWAYS - be two adult Scouters in full view of each other at all times.  It would be a reasonable response on the part of the BSA to institute similar practices and you may find that the rate of abuses goes DOWN rather than up, simply due to increased vigilance practiced in order to reassure the public perceptions.

We rely on character as the 'control' of behaviour.  And good character is NOT exclusive to heterosexuals.

No argument: their sexual orientation IS at the forefront of of their self-definition.  It does not have to mean that that is what they are ALL about.  If you consciously class yourself as 'heterosexual' do thoughts of sex enter into all your daily dealings and drive you to look for release - and then act on that impulse - anywhere you can get it?

Good people are good people.  End of story.  
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 11:43:40 AM by Newt » Logged

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #15756 on: July 31, 2015, 01:01:14 PM »

Regardless of ones views on homosexuality in practice, most people have ditched the notion that it is caused by some negative trauma. Child molesters, however, are usually psychologically damaged in some way, like if they were abused as children themselves for example.

Most men who abuse children are not libertine sexual experimenters they are repressed people who can't get aroused any other way. I think gay men don't like being put in a category with these kind of people.

Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #15757 on: July 31, 2015, 03:08:10 PM »

$500 for a new alternator for my car, $175 to repair the air conditioner leak, and then the damned neighbor bought a power washer so now my wife thinks we probably need a power washer too.  I'm like "Yeah if we had one then everything we own could be dripping wet right now."

Bah...I'm beginning to like Mondays better than Fridays.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 03:20:52 PM by Jack » Logged

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #15758 on: August 01, 2015, 12:08:46 AM »

Some interesting points on the whole scouting thing, and kudos for mature, well-reasoned discussion!

I think homosexuals are no more and no less likely to be pedophiles than heterosexuals.  Pedophilia is a whole separate ball o wax from orientation.  However, as a father of daughters, I don't think there is any way I would have let my girls go on a camping trip with a dozen other girls, supervised and accompanied by adult heterosexual males.  There are just too many ways that things could turn out awkward, if not outright horrible.

But I do like the idea of having two adults present at all time, and careful vetting of scoutmasters.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #15759 on: August 01, 2015, 10:15:08 AM »

Chicken Lady loves life!

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #15760 on: August 01, 2015, 08:38:30 PM »

This guy Neil Magny at UFC 190 doesn't have a nickname so I'm calling him "The Car Thief"
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #15761 on: August 01, 2015, 09:30:52 PM »

Tonight my friend Mandy, fresh back from a religious trip to Salt Lake City, that great St. Peter's Square of worldwide Mormonism, abruptly goes, "Everyone else but you calls me Amanda now. It's anachronistic that you don't."

I thought, Girl, who ya think you're talking to? I remember when you used to flash truck drivers and throw beer bottles at out your apartment window (with admirable accuracy) at people you didn't like walking down the street. I remember when you used to hang out at an Air Force recruiter's office so you could carry on with him after hours. (Respect there cause he was kinda hot.) I remember in 2003 when you got pregnant (not from the recruiter) and freaked out about supporting a kid on $7.00 an hour. And I remember THEE time you had me help you stalk a bloody newscaster all the way to his house in a gated community so you could tell him what you thought of his pro-George W. Bush commentary. (Uh, she disapproved of it.) And so with all that in my mind you want ME to call you the same name others do just because as a rising star among local Mormons you think you've outgrown being 'Mandy'?

But what I said was, "Oh. Okay. Mandy."

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #15762 on: August 02, 2015, 12:35:57 AM »

I am nearly done with my new novel.  Finished Chapter 26 tonight.

Rome is burning! Buggedout

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #15763 on: August 02, 2015, 06:17:41 PM »

Last time I bought a USB stick I think it was $20 for 8GB.  Now I just bought a 32GB one for $12.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #15764 on: August 04, 2015, 08:15:51 AM »

With all this impending regulation against coal, I can't help but wonder if those who drive electric cars ever stop to think how much of that electricity comes from coal?

Pages: 1 ... 1049 1050 [1051] 1052 1053 ... 1299
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  The Unofficial Badmovies.org Random Thought Thread! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.