Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:41:46 AM
713337 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  The Unofficial Badmovies.org Random Thought Thread! « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 1212 1213 [1214] 1215 1216 ... 1299
Author Topic: The Unofficial Badmovies.org Random Thought Thread!  (Read 2701815 times)
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #18195 on: July 22, 2018, 07:31:15 PM »

My daughter went to a soccer game last night and then went back with her friend and spent the night, so she missed going to Mass this morning "without valid reason" which means under canon law she is in mortal sin and damned to Hell for all eternity. Pretty strict to damn a nine-year-old to eternal torment over a sleepover.
Is there a way to get out or mortal sin? A way to seek forgiveness?

Indy has it right. In both his statements about the Catholic church.

It lists two main types of sin, venial and mortal. Venial may be black marks but they won't send you to Hell. Mortal Sins are serious matters that do send someone to Hell. For a sin to be mortal it must be:

A. A serious matter (murder, robbery, sexual offenses....or missing Mass after soccer)
B. Freely undertaken
C. Freely undertaken with full knowledge that it is serious matter

Absent any of those three conditions the sin is not mortal.

As for forgiveness, one can go to confession before a priest and be absolved and have a clean slate for all sins short of formal excommunication, or "de facto excommunication" which is when a very, very serious mortal sin is committed without maybe it being known but which is so serious in nature it which severs all connection to the absolution granted priests.

It takes a bishop to rescind excommunication.

Traditionally certain heresies incurred this but more recently having/performing/paying for/encouraging an abortion was the most common matter covered by de facto excommunication, but I am told the current Pope has given priests (in all cases or some, I don't know) the power to grant forgiveness: though some say that power is beyond a Pope's authority. (No, despite the whole infallible declaration of Vatican I in the 1870s, Popes do not have limitless power.)

The Catholic Church has much good in it but it is set up with the knowledge that people are going to screw up and it alone provides the cure for those screw-ups, so in a way it becomes almost like someone treating addicts with a drug.

If the Catholic Church is right I am in deep, deep, deep trouble.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 07:51:35 PM by ER » Logged

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #18196 on: July 22, 2018, 09:40:35 PM »

I always admire ownership.  

I am a Catholic.  They're my tribe.  I own it.  

I don't agree with everything written here, but Indy has the tenets right.  

« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 09:43:02 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Svengoolie 3
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #18197 on: July 22, 2018, 10:07:36 PM »

Yeah, I know, you hate all Christians.  You have made that abundantly clear.
You hate me for because I am a Christian, because I am a Republican, and what all else?

Hmmm,  let's see,  how about hypocrisy?  You say you hate catholicism  for reasons,  then react when someone says  they have similar feelings towards your beliefs.

The doctor that circumcised Trump threw away the wrong piece.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #18198 on: July 22, 2018, 10:27:36 PM »

I don't hate Catholicism, I just find that particular dogma to be controlling and having no foundation in Scripture.
The Catholic Church also does many good and worthy things that I admire.  It's a two-edged sword. So you started with a false assumption.
I am good friends with many atheists and we have some very prolonged and enjoyable debates.  Your attitude makes that pretty much impossible.
Truthfully, I just don't like you very much.  You know a lot about movies and I share some of your tastes in cinema (but not all).  But your constant dragging in your political and religious prejudices into any and all topics is tiresome.  You've done as much as anyone to turn the atmosphere of this place toxic.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #18199 on: July 22, 2018, 10:48:02 PM »

Can I hate a person for being an a***ole to other people, regardless of gender/eex/politics/religion/ etc?

yeah no.
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #18200 on: July 22, 2018, 10:59:08 PM »

"Hate makes  you impotent, love makes you crazy.  Somewhere between the two, you can survive." - Billy Crystal

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Svengoolie 3

« Reply #18201 on: July 23, 2018, 12:06:07 AM »

Can I hate a person for being an a***ole to other people, regardless of gender/eex/politics/religion/ etc?

Absolutely!  I hate Allen derschowitz and the fact he's Jewish doesn't have one iota to do with it. (I like a lot of jews.)  I hate Ben Carson and Clarence Thomas and the fact they are black has nothing to do with it.  (I like Neil deGrasse Tyson and Colin kapernick)  I hate retired pope Benedict and not because he's catholic.  (I like Pope Francis)

I do not hate people based on race or gender,  and generally not on sexual orientation as long as it's consenting adults.

As to politics or religion,  those are matters of choice.  If someone chooses to adopt and support a destructive,  toxic,  harmful ideology then I consider that grounds to have negative feelings towards them.

Pacman000
« Reply #18202 on: July 23, 2018, 02:08:24 PM »

Good News: My excite account still works!

Bad News: Visiting Excite brings up 49 messages from my Antivirus software. O_o
AoTFan

« Reply #18203 on: July 24, 2018, 04:47:23 PM »

I just found out the guy who runs www.i-mockery.com hasn't updated the site in over a year because his wife of twenty years succumbed to a long time battle with depressed and ended her own life.  Damn, I can't even imagine what the guy is going through. 
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #18204 on: July 26, 2018, 10:33:48 AM »

I have lost 23 pounds in 29 days!!!

ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #18205 on: July 26, 2018, 02:49:18 PM »

Even though that means there's less of you for people to love, Indy, huge congratulations!

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Svengoolie 3

« Reply #18206 on: July 26, 2018, 03:17:06 PM »

I have lost 23 pounds in 29 days!!!

Honestly I'm not sure how i see how that could be done in a healthy fashion. Most doctors say 2 pounds a week is about as much as you can lose without going to extreme measures.

indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #18207 on: July 26, 2018, 04:49:37 PM »

Well, I was pretty badly overweight, and the diet I am on is extremely healthy.
I think guys in general lose weight more easily than women, and my total loss I still less than 10% of my starting weight of 277.
I certainly feel good!

316zombie
« Reply #18208 on: July 27, 2018, 12:01:55 AM »

that is NOT healthy indi, especially during the summer. your initial loss is mainly water weight, did your doctor tell you that? PLEASE stay hydrated, and if you feel dizzy or " vague" or off balance, GO TO the emergency room ASAP! DON'T screw up your system like i did. if a REAL doctor says this is okay, then that doctor needs to be investigated. this is SCARY unhealthy! Bluesad
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #18209 on: July 27, 2018, 12:06:50 AM »

Trust me, I drink LOTS of fluids every day and generally stay out of the heat.
What I did was cut out most of my carbs and sugars and eat lots of fruits, vegetables, and meats.
It's a diet plan called Whole30.

Pages: 1 ... 1212 1213 [1214] 1215 1216 ... 1299
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  The Unofficial Badmovies.org Random Thought Thread! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.