Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 06:49:11 AM
712928 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Orca « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Orca  (Read 34212 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« on: January 06, 2008, 05:36:45 PM »

The only thing more frightening than a great white shark is a killer whale, because an Orca is smarter than most humans.  If a super intelligent whale was out to get me, I would probably become a farmer in Nebraska.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
D-Man
Bad Movie Lover

Only my head is tiny...

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 09:57:39 PM »

I remember seeing Orca on TV when I was younger, and parts of it really creeped me out...namely, the premature birth from the hanging whale's mate, and Bo Derek's leg being chomped off. 

Still, though, it's interesting to see the late Richard Harris in anything before his Gladiator/Harry Potter days. 
Carl
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 11:21:57 PM »

Note: dolphins ARE whales.  No contradiction.
TheMark
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 12:14:43 AM »

"If a super intelligent whale was out to get me, I'd probably change professions and become a farmer. Get me a big hunk of land, well away from any rivers, and grow corn."

Ok just don't answer the door.

"Who is it?"
"Land Whale!"

Justy
Bad Movie Lover

Oh the humanity!

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 07:05:09 PM »

I remember this movie from when I was younger. I never quite looked at Shamu the same way again. Of course, now with age and in retrospect I know that the whale had a major beef and was right to demand his revenge.

Thing I learned from this movie: Whales support capital punishment.

-----------------------------------------
"Hey that's great, but who're the Chefs?"
-----------------------------------------
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 08:20:38 PM »

No! No! The pain! The pain! Make it go away! Make it stop!
KYGOTC
Corprate slimeball of E.E.S.

Be EXELLENT to each other...and PARTY ON DUDES!!

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2008, 01:21:25 AM »

Haha! Its about TIME this one got one here!  BounceGiggle

"I'm a man too, you know! I go pee-pee standing up!"
Jordan
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Thunderball Fists?! I can have such a thing?!

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2008, 03:17:19 AM »

89 mins - The helicopter is not here to rescue her. They are chasing a Husky.

HAHAHAHAHA! That one made me laugh out loud Andrew. Very nice reference to John Carpenter's "The Thing."  TeddyR

-----
The Vault Master
Caretaker of The B-Movie Film Vault
-----
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2008, 03:18:12 AM »

Yeah, I too remember this one from my younger years.  I also remember the director thinking he could somehow get away with King Kong vs. Orca, but we all know where that went.  I still think of this movie as essentially being like The Punisher, except Frank Castle is a killer whale and the mob are a bunch of fishermen.
Flangepart

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2008, 11:23:48 AM »

Check out the cip again. I diid.
In the 'Orca eye view', it looks like the 'hero' is pointing his rifle at the wee beastie.
So shoot, idiot!

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2008, 12:16:40 PM »

Hey, I actually reviewed a movie that a lot of other people have seen!  Most of the time, I write a review and everyone seems to say, "You find really weird stuff to review."  Granted, a goal of the site is to introduce films to people, but it's also great to hear back from people about what they thought of the film.

Still uncertain where I first saw this movie, because I had always assumed it was at the drive-in.  Now I think it may have been on network TV.  The screaming whale fetus scene caught me off guard the first time I watched the DVD.  I had no memory of that scene and it's pretty freaky.  It seems to be a good bet that a TV network would have cut it out.  Screaming whale fetus is not good for the ratings.

The Orca is amazingly smart.  I wonder if it designed the alien whale-loving probe that menaces Earth in "Star Trek IV."

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Weltall
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2008, 07:11:41 PM »

The whale's name is not K'tha-jon and it does not have a waldo harness filled with tools.
Mere words cannot express how much I love you right now. Startide Rising references just get me right there. Now if only Brin would pick up some of those threads he introduced in that book and dropped in all the subsequent ones but that's got nothing to do with the review, which would have been awesome even without the SR reference.
MDKing
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2008, 11:33:25 PM »

Didn't see this one, but I have at least heard of it.

Does that head on pic of the Cetecean Avenger remind anyone else of the Watermelon Monster from Drunken Wu Tang?
Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2008, 12:56:20 AM »

My mom took me to see this at the theater when I was little, can't figure why except she wanted to get out of the house on a night when dad was working overnight, she hates horror movies and killer animal movies. I honestly don't think she's all of Jaws. I wish I had the giant cardboard lobby display of the poster art I remember from when we went to see it, it had to be 8 feet long and completely garish, it was beautiful.

I was so young I didn't understand the story at the time and that the humans were the ones in the wrong. Also even at that young age I kind of "knew" who Richard Harris was, he was a familiar face anyway, perhaps from The Tonight Show, and didn't like seeing him die.

I've seen it off and on over the years since, it just gets worse and worse the older I get. And Andrew, when I've seen parts of it on AMC in recent years, they show the orca fetus scene, I know it was edited heavily around when this was a staple of syndicated movie packages on local stations, because when I saw the scene on AMC for the first time, I had absolutely no memory of it and was thrown for a second.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
HarlotBug3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2008, 02:30:47 PM »

"If a super intelligent whale was out to get me, I'd probably change professions and become a farmer. Get me a big hunk of land, well away from any rivers, and grow corn."

Ok just don't answer the door.

"Who is it?"
"Land Whale!"

Seriously, log in so I can give you karma for that one.  BounceGiggle

(already given for the helicopter is there to chase the husky reference)

My wife worked at sea world for years and might actually enjoy this one, as it seems revenge is granted where it's due, for a change. I can also remind her of the party she took me to at her gay neighbor's house. A bunch of fussy fuzzy bears educated us on the term 'giving him the orca eye'.

Hint: It references orca looking up sideways...and I responded to the knowledge with a comment about chewing blubber.

"Do you have something against droppings?" "Well, no, I..." "Sure, everyone says that till they step in it."
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Orca « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.