Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:45:22 AM
713338 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  North By Northwest DVD « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: North By Northwest DVD  (Read 4584 times)
Kooshmeister
The King of Koosh!
Bad Movie Lover

Must have caffeine...

« on: January 08, 2008, 03:51:04 PM »

Since everyone was so helpful here with my problems concerning the cheapo Attack of the Crab Monsters DVD I'm hopeful I can get some help from you guys concerning a more top-tier DVD release....

I ordered the DVD for North by Northwest for Christmas from Columbia House. We've never had any problems with them before, but for some reason, the North by Northwest DVD has a rather odd glitch. The picture stops at the auction house scene! The audio continues but the picture remains frozen. So we sent the DVD back and requested a new copy. The new copy arrived and....it did the same thing, at the exact same spot in the exact same scene! Does Columbia House have a bad batch of DVDs or what?

It's as if the video portion of the movie just ceases to exist beyond that scene. I've tried everything, even going to the chapter menu. Nothing would get either of the copies I had to play past that scene, which is driving me insane because I really love the climax of the film.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 03:53:11 PM by Kooshmeister » Logged
Oldskool138
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 05:04:57 PM »

Did you try it on someone else's DVD player?  I'd do that first before lodging another complaint. 

How old's your DVD player?  It might be time for a new one.  I have the standard release of NNW and I haven't had any problems.  Let me know how it turns out.

He learned almost too late that man is a feeling creature... and because of it, the greatest in the universe........
-Dr. Paul Nelson (Peter Graves)

That gum you like is going to come back in style.
-The Man from Another Place
Kooshmeister
The King of Koosh!
Bad Movie Lover

Must have caffeine...

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 07:03:38 PM »

We have two DVD players. I've tried both DVDs on both. I've had problems with my DVD of The Princess Bride not playing on one player, but doing so smoothely on another. I've never had two different discs of the same title fail to play on two separate players before. I've even tried ripping the DVD (don't tell anyone!), but that doesn't work; the ripping program tells me there's some kind of error with the data. I can't remember the specifics, and, in fact, now that I mention it, I'll try that again and get back to you with what it says. 'Cause I know it gave some kind of specific reason.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 07:07:59 PM by Kooshmeister » Logged
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 07:11:02 PM »

Are your two players the same or similar make/models?  Sometimes, certain DVD players, or DVD players from the same manufacturer, all have problems with specific discs.  I've ran into that a couple of times.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Kooshmeister
The King of Koosh!
Bad Movie Lover

Must have caffeine...

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 08:52:56 PM »

The external DVD drive for my computer is an Iomega Super DVD. The regular DVD player we have in the living room is a Sony model of some sort.

I recently learned that the moment the video freezes up is exactly where the "changeover" happens on the disc, 1 hour and 27 minutes into the film. I was told that sometimes, DVD players are just finicky and that for whatever reason both players are having difficulty reading the second layer of the disc. So I bought a DVD lens cleaning disc and used it, but the DVD still will not play. So the logical conclusion, my mom and I have come to, is that there's just gotta be something wrong with the batch of DVDs Columbia House is using.

But I'll know more when I borrow my sister's copy of the DVD and see whether or not it'll play past the 1 hour 27 minute mark on either player. Since hers plays fine according to her (she didn't get hers from Columbia House as far as I know, heh), the outcome of this little experiment will determine whether the problem is with either of my copies, or with the player(s). But since she lives a good distance from us it'll be a while before I'll be able to go over and get the disc.
ATK
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008, 12:37:46 AM »

Having the exact same problem with North by Northwest.  Happens just as you say, scene in the auction house, video freezes but audio continues.  DVD purchased from Amazon.  Reported the problem, Amazon sent us a new DVD.  Same results!!!  New DVD does same thing.  This time I popped the disc in the computer -- again, same results, video becomes corrupt at the same scene.

Question -- have you found a DVD that actually works???  Does anyone from Warner Bros. (or whoever makes these DVD's) know about the problem?  I'd really like to have this movie for my collection, so I'd like to find a way to get a good DVD....
Kooshmeister
The King of Koosh!
Bad Movie Lover

Must have caffeine...

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 03:34:56 AM »

I was unfortunately never able to borrow my sister's DVD since a friend of her fiance's borrowed a lot of their DVDs without asking including North By Northwest. But we have still a third copy coming in the mail from Columbia House so we'll see what the future holds and I'll keep you posted. If this one doesn't play I'm gonna probably try someplace like Best Buy.
Kooshmeister
The King of Koosh!
Bad Movie Lover

Must have caffeine...

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 08:30:56 PM »

Oh, glorious day! They say that the third time's the charm, and they're right, in this case. I received my third DVD of North By Northwest from Columbia House, and I was able to watch scenes past the auction house without any difficulties. Seeing the climax in widescreen is awesome! The only downside was that the keepcase was cracked in shipping, but I just replaced it with the one from Superman II (sorry, Supes).

So, ATK, if you're reading this, my only advice on how to get a good DVD of this film, or any film, is just to keep trying, if feasible.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  North By Northwest DVD « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.