Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 09:35:16 PM
712916 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  What's the term for flashy lights? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What's the term for flashy lights?  (Read 6214 times)
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« on: January 11, 2008, 12:50:36 PM »

In most old science fiction movies and TV shows that feature computers, the machines usually include a bank of flashing lights. You know the kind. A panel with anywhere from a few to hundreds of little lights that blink in sequence (or randomly). Sort of a jazzed-up imitation of the register lights on an old mainframe console.

I want to build one as part of a case mod project I'm planning. I did something similar a few years back, using half a dozen 555 timer ICs, each in it's own flip-flop circuit, tuned to flash at a slightly different rate. It worked, but it was complicated. A single microcontroller can probably do the same thing with few extra parts. I want to build something small and simple if I can. The problem is that I can't find any schematics for such a thing.

Searching might be easier if I actually knew what the heck it's called. There are plans for various LED flashers, sequencers, etc. around, but nothing for a big, blinking sci-fi computer LED panel, imitation register lights or any other word combination I can think of. There must be a Hollywood term for it. Anybody know?

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Joe
Bad Movie Lover

What are you afraid of? It's only rock n' roll.

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 12:52:20 PM »

Blinky Lights? nah but on a more serious note, i dont really know, mabey control panel? i mean i think it depends on the job that the board is intended for.
Dave M
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 07:17:20 PM »

I remember I used to have this CD that came free with an issue of Mac World or Mac Addict, that had a HUGE amount of shareware on it, and one program was called "Das Blinken Lights". It just simulated that, kind of like a screensaver.
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 07:30:22 PM »

Indicator lights?  Test panel lights?  I've never thought of it myself, but they must have a name.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 07:51:55 PM »

Try these ...

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Bill_Bowden/page5.htm#4017-2.gif

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Bill_Bowden/page7.htm#aclamps.gif
http://www.spelektroniikka.fi/kuvat/valojono.pdf

or many links here ...

http://www.hobbyprojects.com/F/Flashers_and_Blinkers.html

peter johnson

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 08:22:04 PM »

Flashy lights that run randomly in a circular fashion onstage, usually as part of the footlights, are called, in the industry, Judy Lights, after the late Judy Garland.  I have heard the same term applied to the type of thing you're speaking of, right or wrong.
peter johnson/denny crane

I have no idea what this means.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 11:57:14 PM »

Did Judy Garland really run around randomly in a circular fashion onstage?  I guess if the device had been invented today, it would be called "Courtney Love" lights.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Justy
Bad Movie Lover

Oh the humanity!

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2008, 08:30:17 AM »

The only other terms that I can think of that hasn't been offered are Chaser Lights and Sequencing Lights.

-----------------------------------------
"Hey that's great, but who're the Chefs?"
-----------------------------------------
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2008, 10:48:53 AM »

Found plenty of flashers and chasers and sequencers, even Knight Rider lights that go back and forth, but not blinky computer lights. Seems kind of strange, especially when they're so prevalent in popular entertainment. I'm actually amazed people don't appear to include it in case mods, for a retro computer look such as I'm planning.

I'm sure there must be something around, if I knew what to search for. I mean, if people are building a movie set, you'd think they would have some jargon for it, to make communication easier. I can't see somebody asking for "a big panel of blinky lights like they had on old computers." Well, maybe somebody might ask for it, but I can't see it being put on technical drawings or used in communication between the people building and operating the set.

Tried searching for Judy Lights, and only seemed to come up with people named Judy lighting various things, usually candles. It's just really puzzling.

---------------------
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2008, 05:02:17 PM »

Coin your own word/phrase for it ...

Random Illumination Board (R.I.M)
Blinky Light Thing (B.L.T) ... and it taste good too.
Lights That Do Nothing (LTDT)
etc etc

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2008, 08:01:45 PM »

Not a bad idea, but I'm trying to find plans for building one that are more efficient than what I came up with. For that, I need to know what someone else might call it.

---------------------
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2008, 08:20:31 PM »

Not a bad idea, but I'm trying to find plans for building one that are more efficient than what I came up with. For that, I need to know what someone else might call it.

I posted some links with plans above. There are about a 1000 schematics on them.

I goggled blinky light circuit

soylentgreen
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2008, 01:28:22 AM »

Random Illumination Board (R.I.M)
Blinky Light Thing (B.L.T) ... and it taste good too.
Lights That Do Nothing (LTDT)
etc etc

Along the lines of the GNDN piping on Federation starships.

That's my driver's license picture....I hate that picture!"
peter johnson

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2008, 03:01:06 AM »

Just as not every bad movie made that went to videotape/VHS is available on DVD, not every Industry term is in the glossary on the Internet (All bow and worship!).
Judy Lights were and are a standard term for random floor lighting, usually circular and firing sometimes in sequence.
Find some actual people in the Industry who Grip or Best Boy or otherwise serve the Power that be . . . ask and they shall reveal . . .
peter lord i'm old/denny fossil

I have no idea what this means.
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2008, 12:39:09 PM »

You know back in the age of the dinosaur(1979) when I first started working on computers I was quite disappointed when I saw that none of them actually featured those blinking light panels.

If I come with any ideas for you Andy, I'll let you know. I play around with lighting starship models and come across some interesting things on occasion.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  What's the term for flashy lights? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.