Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:38:40 PM
713364 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Favorite Historical Films . . . . « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Favorite Historical Films . . . .  (Read 15150 times)
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2008, 10:40:10 PM »

Hmmm...good topic!!! Some off the top of my (tired) head-
.ED WOOD
.ZODIAC
.RAGING BULL
.SAVING PRIVATE RYAN
. Alan Ormsby's DERANGED (you know-the thinly veiled Ed Gein bio-pic?)
.the ELEPHANT MAN
.BONNIE and CLYDE
.BEN-HUR
.SPARTACUS
. TORA! TORA! TORA!
.SID and NANCY
. DILLENGER (with Warren Oates)
.BLOODY MAMA (with Shelly Winters, Robert DeNiro...lots more! 'Bout the Ma Barker clan....!)
...more later...Ima tired...I went and got a  income tax advance of $440 dollars from H+R Block today...as soon as I got into the van in the parking lot outside  of H+R,the altenator seized...busted the drive belt. It cost $60 to get it towed to Muffler Man and $352 to get the dam thing running in time to go pick up Angel at work. Whatta day....now thats a dam hystercal drama! Enuff to drive a man to drink...ughh...but-I'm still as dry as a popcorn fart.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2008, 10:42:53 PM »

Karma to EMMR for her first post!!! I hadn't mentioned 2004's THE ALAMO, but it is a really great film.  Billy Bob Thornton was quite good as David Crockett, and Dennis Quaid was excellent as Sam Houston.  One of my arrowhead hunting pals is a Texas Revolution Reenactor, and he is in several scenes in the movie.  Overall, it is the most historically accurate of all the Alamo movies.  I especially love the way they handled Crockett's death scene  . . . . much more believable than the way John Wayne did it.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Dennis
Yes, it's true, absolutely true. I am a
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2008, 11:41:16 PM »

Karma to EMMR for her first post!!! I hadn't mentioned 2004's THE ALAMO, but it is a really great film.  Billy Bob Thornton was quite good as David Crockett, and Dennis Quaid was excellent as Sam Houston.  One of my arrowhead hunting pals is a Texas Revolution Reenactor, and he is in several scenes in the movie.  Overall, it is the most historically accurate of all the Alamo movies.  I especially love the way they handled Crockett's death scene  . . . . much more believable than the way John Wayne did it.

This is one film that I can say taught me something, I had always believed that the defenders of the Alamo were all from America, I was quite surprised to learn that 35 or so were from Mexico and were lead by Juan Sequin.
The town of Sequin, Texas is named after him.

Reach for the heavens in hope for the future for all that we can be, not what we are. Henry John Deutschendorf Jr.
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2008, 11:56:30 PM »

They were Tejanos - native Texans of Hispanic descent who fought for independence.  Of course, Texas was part of Mexico, so they were Mexicans, too, I suppose.  At San Jacinto Houston wanted them to guard the baggage train - he was afraid that once the killing started, his men would not distinguish one Hispanic from another.  Seguin refused, so his men all stuck playing cards in their hats to identify themselves.  They killed as many Mexicans as the Anglo-Texans did that day!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2008, 05:16:33 PM »

Crockett's demise was better in the 2004 movie than in the John Wayne one (or Fess Parker's musket swinging finish in Disney's 1950's depiction) but in portraying that death as shown the producers were also more or less giving a nod toward the veracity of the De la Peña Diary with its version of the event, and I think that's stretching things a little considering the unproven nature of that document. Still, it was a hard hitting scene. "I'm a screamer..." Good stuff!

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
raj

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2008, 05:35:30 PM »

To limit it to movies in my collection:
The Battle of Britain.
Dangerous Liaisons
Master and Commander, the Far Side of Forever.
soylentgreen
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2008, 10:45:47 PM »

The Battle of Britain.

Now there's a big favorite of mine.

"So...I'll tell the cabinet that you're trusting in radar and praying to God, is that right?"
"More accurately the other way round. Trusting in God and praying for radar."

I can't go to an airshow without humming that incredible Luftwaffe march.  Thumbup

That's my driver's license picture....I hate that picture!"
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2008, 11:27:09 PM »

Crockett's demise was better in the 2004 movie than in the John Wayne one (or Fess Parker's musket swinging finish in Disney's 1950's depiction) but in portraying that death as shown the producers were also more or less giving a nod toward the veracity of the De la Peña Diary with its version of the event, and I think that's stretching things a little considering the unproven nature of that document. Still, it was a hard hitting scene. "I'm a screamer..." Good stuff!

I think the de la Pena diary may be the real thing.  There are five other Mexican sources that mention prisoners being executed after the battle, and two of them name Crockett, I believe.  Of course, they could have copied de la Pena, I guess.  There is an excellent work called "Eyewitness to the Alamo" that actually includes every single purported eyewitness account of the battle, and the date they surfaced.  Some of the later ones, like Madame Candaleria's accounts, are obviously fanciful.

Killer Bees
Newly Appointed Government Employee and

Never give up on love

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2008, 11:27:33 PM »

Cannot verify the historical accuracy of this one:

10 Commandments with Charlton Heston.  I saw it as a child the first time and just loved it.  Even now, it draws me in.

Amadeus with Tom Hulce.  He did a brilliant job.  And I absolutely hated Cagliari and could cheerfully have murdered him myself.

Quills with Geoffrey Rush.  That was okay from what little I saw.

Joan of Arc with Leelee Sobieski. (sp?)

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Bring back what once was mine
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
Bring back what once was mine
What once was mine.......
peter johnson

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2008, 12:07:40 AM »

Zhivago is wonderful -- I've watched this one numerous times over the years and marvel at it all over again from time to time --
     The house covered entirely in beeswax to simulate ice -- The fields painted white because it was 90 degrees in Spain when they shot it -- Klaus Kinski in one of the best cameo roles of his or any actor's career --
     Lean certainly doesn't inspire the passion that other directors seem to get -- the Welles' & Pasolinis & Kurosawas, etc. -- in part because he had a reputation as being a bit of a cold fish, but looking at his body of work, he came up with some astonishing pictures:  Lawrence of Arabia, Bridge on the River Kwai, Zhivago, and his under-appreciated Charles Dickens masterpieces, Oliver Twist and Great Expectations.  Indeed, in any discussion of movies about times in History, I would put Lawrence, Kwai, and Zhivago as my top 3 in that order.
     Somewhere further down has to be David Wark Griffith's Birth of a Nation, racism & all.  As others have noted, the battle scenes play as if Matthew Brady had access to the Lumiere Brothers' cameras 15 years early.
     The Best Years of Our Lives still plays as if it happened just the other day -- a stunning little picture that swept the Oscars the year it was released & deservedly so.
peter johnson/denny crane

I have no idea what this means.
Dennis

« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2008, 09:37:05 AM »

They were Tejanos - native Texans of Hispanic descent who fought for independence.  Of course, Texas was part of Mexico, so they were Mexicans, too, I suppose.  At San Jacinto Houston wanted them to guard the baggage train - he was afraid that once the killing started, his men would not distinguish one Hispanic from another.  Seguin refused, so his men all stuck playing cards in their hats to identify themselves.  They killed as many Mexicans as the Anglo-Texans did that day!

Thank you, I knew there was a term for Sequin and his men, just couldn't remember it. I recall reading, possibly in "A Time to Stand" by Walter Lord but I could be mistaken, that most of the Americans in Texas at that time were in fact Mexican citizens, the Mexican government was giving land grants to people who settled in Texas and one requirement was that foreigners become Mexican citizens. When Santa Ana became the ruler of Mexico they felt he was taking away the rights and freedoms granted to them by the government and decided to fight for what they felt was theirs. If Santa Ana had just abided by the agreements made with the settlers there would have been no war and no independent Republic of Texas and possibly the map of North America would be very different.

Reach for the heavens in hope for the future for all that we can be, not what we are. Henry John Deutschendorf Jr.
peter johnson

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2008, 11:39:37 AM »

. . . and I'm an "I, Claudius" fan too, though Graves by his own admission was fictionalizing as he went on that one.
peter johnson/denny crane

I have no idea what this means.
soylentgreen
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2008, 04:51:23 PM »

Is anyone a fan of I Cladius here?  I love that series, even as a kid.
. . . and I'm an "I, Claudius" fan too, though Graves by his own admission was fictionalizing as he went on that one.

Same here.  My mother introduced me to this gem and I remember, even as a kid in the 70s, being captivated by it.  They had a rebroadcast one summer with Anne Bancroft introducing the episodes and I recall her grave warnings to the television audience that they'd be witness to savage acts of violence and wanton displays of boobies.

It also made me a lifelong fan of Derek Jacobi. ...and John Hurt.  ...and Sian Phillips.   ...and Brian Blessed.   ...and John Rhys-Davies   ...and Patrick Stewart.  TeddyR

That's my driver's license picture....I hate that picture!"
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2008, 07:24:17 PM »

"If Santa Ana had just abided by the agreements made with the settlers there would have been no war and no independent Republic of Texas and possibly the map of North America would be very different."

Possibly, but I doubt it.  Mexico was incapable of sustaining a working government, and Anglo-Americans were unwilling to live under a people who were seemingly incapable of governing themselves.  Also, Mexico had essentially allowed Texas to govern itself for a decade while they underwent several consecutive revolutions . . . but when they saw the Anglo population of Texas had swelled to over 20,000, they decided to crack down on all further immigration from the U.S. (sound familiar?).
  The Americans had come to Texas assuming they would enjoy the same rights and privileges they had as U.S. citizens under the liberal Mexican constitution of 1824.  If Santa Anna had not suspended that document, one of the dictators who followed him would have.  Mexico simply did not have the tutelage in self-government that the Americans had enjoyed under the British for 250 years, and even today they still haven't got their government house in order.

P.S.  My great-great grandfather Jim Youngblood and his family came to Texas in 1832 or so.  He fought in the Texas Revolution as a 16 year old, helping capture San Antonio from General Cos.  Then he served in the Mexican-American War at age 28, and later on in the Civil War in his early 40's - and never got shot!!  Married a girl 14 years younger than himself, had six kids with her, and outlived her by two decades, dying at age 91 in 1911 - one of the last surviving veterans of the Texas Revolution.

Dennis

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2008, 09:22:55 AM »

Since my last post here I've been thinking about it and I have to agree with you, even without the revolt in Texas the westward expansion of the United States and the idea of manifest destiny would have lead to North America being pretty much what t is today. I just sometimes like to daydream about "what if ?" type of situations.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Favorite Historical Films . . . . « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.