Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:48:00 AM
714311 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Legend (1985). The Director's Cut. « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Legend (1985). The Director's Cut.  (Read 3309 times)
D-Man
Bad Movie Lover

Only my head is tiny...

« on: January 12, 2008, 04:19:20 PM »

Legend is one of those interesting, if not particularly memorable films that came out in the 80's, wasn't too successful at the theater, only to find a cult following later on video.  It's a straightforward story, with a little inspired casting (Tim Curry as Darkness), only to be slightly hampered by a Tangerine Dream score that doesn't lend itself too well to a fantasy film (Except for the song "Loved by The Sun" at the end.  I always liked that one.)

However, I decided to give this film another chance, when I rented the "Ultimate Edition" DVD a couple of days ago.  Once again, I found myself really taken aback by what was a radically different director's cut, in mainly one section: Music. 

Yes, there are a few restored scenes in the Director's Cut (Which was actually the release that Theaters in Europe got to see.), but the music is the most significant difference.  I've talked before, in my Superman II thread, about how important music can be to a film. Legend is yet another example of how it can make or break it.

The Director's Cut has the same basic strengths and flaws as before, but Jerry Goldsmith's original score is so beautiful, so striking, that you just can't ignore this version with either your eyes, or your ears.   Definitely check this one out if you get the chance.   

Snivelly
Bad Movie Lover

....a heady mix of ignorance and enthusiasm.

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 07:45:45 PM »

I didn't know the Director's cut was out, thanks for the review.  I have to mildly disagree about the film not being memorable, though.

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't the sport for you.
CheezeFlixz
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 08:13:19 PM »

This movie was a tare for me ... I'm a huge Tim Curry fan, but I can't stand Tom Cruise so I enjoyed the film and I have it in my collection, one of the very, very few with Cruise in it.

damnote
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 11:38:16 PM »

I'm a big fan of this movie myself and I love the TG soundtrack. I wanna say that when I was younger I had bought what I thought was the TG soundtrack only to be disapointed to hear it was musical score, that's not to say I hated it but I haven't seen the film with this score yet so it'd be really interesting.

It reminds me of the 1984 Eurythmics soundtrack and the actual score. I've seen both and though they both gave the film a different view and sound...loved both versions too.
Gerry
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 12:09:44 PM »

I like the director's cut.  It adds to a number of plot points that improves the overall story.  The Goldsmith score is good too, though I really love the Tangerine Dream one.  The perfect score would probably be a mix between the two IMO, but that's just me. Definitely worth picking up the Ultimate edition for the two cuts of the film.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Legend (1985). The Director's Cut. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.