Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:09:57 PM
714380 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Orphanage « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Orphanage  (Read 4807 times)
Mr_Vindictive
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« on: January 13, 2008, 11:56:21 AM »

The wife and I decided to take in a matinée of The Orphanage on Friday. I had read a few reviews of it a few months ago and thought it sounded good. My wife had caught one of the TV spots and agreed to go despite the subtitles.

The Orphanage is about a woman named Laura who was an orphan herself. As a child, she grew up in a gorgeous old orphanage on the coast in Spain. As an adult, she moves back to the orphanage with her husband and son Simon. Their plan is to turn the orphanage into a home for children with special needs.

Their son Simon has numerous imaginary friends before moving into the home. After doing so, he starts to make new ones, and that is where the strangeness starts. Soon, Simon has disappeared and it seems the home and it's spirits are speaking to Laura.

I'm one who believes that the best ghost stories are those that take their power from emotional turmoil and pain rather than using CGI crap to get false scares. I'm very wary of any film with ghosts AND children as it usually leads to a j-horrorish-crapfest. This film is not like that at all. It's more in the vein of Session 9 and The Changeling than anything else that Hollywood has put out in the past ten years.

I'm one who gets seriously emotionally involved with characters in films, if the film allows me to. This is such a film. I felt every bit of pain that Laura and her husband felt at losing their child, and their frustration at trying over months and months to find him. By the end, people in the theater were crying their asses off, and I myself was tearing up quite a bit.

The film is produced by Guillermo Del Toro which was a huge selling point for me. I'm a fan of the man's previous works, and he certainly has a style. This film was not directed by him, but I equate it to Poltergeist in that respect. Sure he didn't direct it, but you can see that he obviously had a heavy hand in the direction the film took. I have no doubt that he was holding the director's hand throughout, showing him exactly what he wanted out of the film.

The film is just overall fantastic. It is haunting, frightening, and powerful. If you're looking for a quiet horror film, one that doesn't dwell on CGI or gore to get the story across, then you are in for a treat. I have no doubt that at the end of the year, this one will still be on my "Year's Best" list.

10/10

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
damnote
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 12:36:27 PM »

Thanks for the preview. I didn't know much about the film but your points make me wanna see it now. I enjoyed Session 9 a lot and The Innocents so I'll probably enjoy this one.
Mr_Vindictive

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 01:04:23 PM »

I have a feeling that most people on the board will enjoy it.  It's a very quiet little haunting film.  Well worth seeing!

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Torgo

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 03:51:50 PM »

**** out of ****.

The best ghost story type movie that I've ever seen and a deeply emotional and haunting movie that will stick with you long after you see it.  Everyone needs to see this movie. 
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 04:12:14 PM by Torgo » Logged

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Snivelly
Bad Movie Lover

....a heady mix of ignorance and enthusiasm.

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 04:49:44 PM »

After Pan's Labyrinth del Toro had stated in an interview that he was involved with a third movie along the same lines, the aftermath of the Spanish civil war and ghosts.  Is this the movie he was talking about?  Even if not, I plan to see this as soon as I can, thanks for the review.

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't the sport for you.
Mr_Vindictive

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 10:49:20 AM »

Nope Snivelly.  That might be his next project now that he finished Hellboy 2.

I've got to say that this is the best project that Del Toro has had anything to do with.  It's better than Pan's or Devil's Backbone in my opinion, and that is saying a lot.  The film is quite possibly the best and most affecting ghost film I've ever seen.  It's been nearly three weeks since I saw it and it's still with me.

Fantastic film.

Killer Bees
Newly Appointed Government Employee and

Never give up on love

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 10:00:55 PM »

From what little I've seen, I love del Toro's work.  I will definitely be giving this one a good look.

Thanks for the heads up  Thumbup

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Bring back what once was mine
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
Bring back what once was mine
What once was mine.......
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 12:49:34 AM »

I caught this one tonight, and it was AMAZING!! 

I don't want to give away the ending for those who haven't seen it yet, but it was simultaneously one of the most horrifying and poignant twists imaginable.  I think I will be dreaming about it tonight.

If you haven't seen it, you are in for a treat!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
dean

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 03:37:58 AM »

So far Skaboi is two for two in my book!  My girlfriend hated me after watching this film, since I kept putting on voices late at night to stir her up.

While I was on 'hiatus' I saw this one at one of the more 'boutique' cinemas as part of the Spanish Film Festival here.

It started with a guy from the Spanish Consulate reading out a speech from the director [not Del Toro mind you, he just had a producer role as Skaboi said.]

I'll paraphrase severely here, but he basically thanked everyone for their support and pretty much said 'I hope you hate watching this film'.

That was probably a perfect introduction for the film.

Cinematography is great, and atmosphere was fantastic.  I really liked the use of the kids game, the 'night vision' scene and the air of mystery about it all.  Plus the ending was great, very much caught me off guard and was very appropriate for the film.

I like films that challenge perceptions on what a film should entail, and this one certainly challenged a few stereotypes of typical ghost film moments.  Like Skaboi said, it could easily have gone into 'boo!' J-Horror territory and I'm thankful it didn't [though the American version of the Ring had almost a similar level of atmosphere IMO]

Very similar look to Pan's Labyrinth, but very much a different story here, different not meaning better or worse mind you.

Terrific film.
 Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Neville

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2008, 04:39:02 PM »

I found it very enjoyable, but I never got Guillermo Del Toro vibes while watching it. He may be the producer, but the writer and director is another guy, and it shows.

I'd say it's good but not grrat. It has too many good things to be listed here, suach as the leading actress, the pace or the atmosphere, but it's not as good as say Amenabar's "The others", a film very similar to this one. If I had to pick a "weakest link" part, that woud be the scenes dealing with Geraldine Chaplin as a medium. That felt like some like some SNL "Poltergeist" parody.

But yeah, it's a good film, and you won't be disappointed if you watch it.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Torgo

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 03:23:12 PM »

***1/2 out of ****.

Saw this one in theaters and loved it, though I felt that the ending was just a bit too rushed for my liking even though it fit the story perfectly.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Orphanage « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.