Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:01:13 AM
713389 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Favorite Kind of Artwork « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Favorite Kind of Artwork  (Read 7663 times)
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« on: January 14, 2008, 10:05:46 AM »

Lately I've been on an art kick.
There are several prints at a local shop that I'd like to buy but they're pretty expensive.
You'd think a print would be much cheaper than an original but some of these go for well over $100 and I don't want to pay that much.

My favorite type of art is doorways.
The more abstract, the better as I don't really go for photorealistic paintings.
I look at a painting of a doorway and wonder what it might be like to walk through it and see what's on the other side.
There's one painting of a doorway that I've only seen once and I'm pretty sure it was done by Grant Wood.  But I've forgotten its title.
It's an abstract wooden doorway that's built into yellowish or beige walls and looks kind of like this pic:

If any of you could find the name of it or a picture or even a place that sells a print of it online, I'd be extremely grateful.

Do any of you appreciate fine art and if so, what types of artwork do you like?
Got a favorite artist?

« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 10:11:07 AM by Ash » Logged
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 10:48:41 AM »

Favorite type of artwork. Why mine,of course!  Smile

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 04:36:22 PM »

I like EDWARD HOPPER best, a Realist, but no Photorealist!  HOPPER is one of the "Aschcan School" painters...

I enjoy looking at paintings, especially groups by one artist.  I love paintings. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 05:00:54 PM »

I have a poster Bouguereau's Le Chuchotement (The Whispering) that I picked up at a flee market for about ten bucks. The expression on the models face as the little cupid whispers in her ear certainly bring a lot to the imagination.

At my psychiatrist's office lobby, on the wall next to the Men's Room, there's a beautiful landscape by Uzilevski. It's a pointalism. This has always fascinated me, as I got my start in printing & lithography. It amazes me the way all the dots & pixels take shape to form texture & dimension as you move farther away. I've alway wished I could find a copy for myself.

A few years ago, I came across some inexpensive posters of John William Waterhouse's paintings at Big Lot's. I was tempted to buy one or two, but I was unemployed at the time. Still, there are times you can find some fairly decent framed posters at the bulk closeout stores & flee markets.

Mostly, I'm into photography. Now of course, being a male bachelor, you can probably guess what I like pictures of. However, I prefer glamor photography, such as classic playmates, Helmut Newton, or what photographers are now calling "domai" in an effort to distance themselves from the crowd that puts out those cheap snapshots of silicone queens.

Of course, I also love landscapes & motorcycles. The movie Easy Rider makes for a wonderful fusion of both kinds of imagery, and I'd seriously recommend checking out the Bike Night at BlueGrass folder in the pics on my MySpace page.

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 07:14:12 PM »

As a artist myself, I have a house full of artwork, from outsider, sculpture, abstract, a ton of local stuff from area artist, yard art, junk art, old advertising art and anything I find cool, unique or different. I've also got more common stuff like a ton of signed and numbered Ray Harm and Guy Coleach I got from my Dad as he thinned down his collection, I also got several original Audubon double elephant prints from him and I acquired a few myself. I grew up in Henderson KY wear Audubon did much of his painting. So I think it's law that you have a few Audubon prints. 

This is one of my favorite Audubon double elephant prints ...

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 08:03:57 PM »

Surely, people who love bad movies also appreciate thrift store art...

This piece is creepily titled "Self-portrait."

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 09:09:56 PM »

...This piece is creepily titled "Self-portrait."
BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle 
I would never buy it, but you gotta love it.   Thumbup

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Killer Bees
Newly Appointed Government Employee and

Never give up on love

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 11:05:13 PM »

I love the pre-Raphaelite artwork, in particular Sir Frank Dicksee's "La Belle Dame Sans Merci".  Sorry, don't have a link here.

I also like HR Giger's stuff.  Weird and sometimes shocking, but always engaging.

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Bring back what once was mine
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
Bring back what once was mine
What once was mine.......
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 06:16:40 AM »

As a artist myself, I have a house full of artwork, from outsider, sculpture, abstract, a ton of local stuff from area artist, yard art, junk art, old advertising art and anything I find cool, unique or different. I've also got more common stuff like a ton of signed and numbered Ray Harm and Guy Coleach I got from my Dad as he thinned down his collection, I also got several original Audubon double elephant prints from him and I acquired a few myself. I grew up in Henderson KY wear Audubon did much of his painting. So I think it's law that you have a few Audubon prints. 

Boy...I feel stupid...I was looking for hidden elephants in the picture...scary part is...I thought I had almost found one...

I like what's called 'lowbrow art...'. I have an old print on my wall...circa 1950's-it's a painting of an orangatang sitting in a wooden chair,wearing a shriner's type of hat-he's about to light a corncob pipe,but his mutt is hopping around with it's leash in it's mouth. In front of the old monkey is a tv with a chourus line of curvy monkettes (?) on the screen. I got it,frame and all,from a flea market for $10. It's a nice big picture,too! (Somebody saw me coming...!)

But otherwise most of the paintings in the house are by my wife...she does oils...'impressionism' kinda stuff. She's quite good!
My work I don't hang...too weird and freaky. Might scare kids. Can't really post any here...too many breasteses.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 06:49:38 AM »

My favourite artworks are film posters, Ash. I have nearly two thousand of the things at the archive and one of my favourites is the poster of Die Kandidaat a.k.a. The Candidate.

I have a copy on my PC and would love to post it: how do I do that?

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2008, 07:59:31 AM »

I have a copy on my PC and would love to post it: how do I do that?

Well, I use Imageshack to host all of my images.
Just go to www.imageshack.us and upload your photo.
When it's uploaded, it'll give you several lines of linking text to choose from.
You can use the thumbnails or use the full size ones for forums.  It's your choice.
Depending on what kind of forum you're on will make a difference whether or not your image will show up or not.
I usually use the first line of text near the bottom.
It's the one that says "Hotlink for forums (1)". 
The thumbnail one is "Thumbnail for forums (1)"

Copy either one and then come back here and paste it into the message body.
That's it.

If you have a lot of images, I definitely recommend getting a free membership there.
That way you can save all the images you want and go back anytime to get the linking codes as needed.
Even better, download the Imageshack toolbar.  I use it every day and don't know what I'd do without it.  It saves me so much time.   Thumbup
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 10:26:53 AM by Ash » Logged
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2008, 09:45:51 AM »

Boy...I feel stupid...I was looking for hidden elephants in the picture...scary part is...I thought I had almost found one...

Ah, don't feel stupid, that's why I linked "double elephant" unless you collect his prints or know his work well, odd are you will not know what double elephant is. It's just really big paper, and only the original folios he had printed where printed on double elephant paper.

BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2008, 03:06:24 PM »

I like all sorts of Art but my favorite is "Comic Book" art Here a pieace by Joseph Micheal Linser of "Dawn"

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

Khaz
Bad Movie Lover

Classic.

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2008, 09:18:25 AM »

I'm a fan of Surrealism i guess mostly. The house is full of prints by H.R. Gieger, Salvador Dali and a couple from Alberto Giacometti. Down in the computer room, I have the walls plastered with old movie posters and comicbook art. When ppl come over, they tend to look at me a bit strangely  TeddyR

I see you are playing stupid... Looks like you're winning
Pilgermann

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2008, 07:15:11 PM »

This piece is creepily titled "Self-portrait."

Wow, there's some awful and hilarious stuff on there!  But anyone who visits thrift stores or like places will run into some strange work.

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Favorite Kind of Artwork « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.