Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:50:57 AM
714336 Posts in 53094 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Bill purposed - Should the folks on Walfare be drug tested? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bill purposed - Should the folks on Walfare be drug tested?  (Read 6017 times)
CheezeFlixz
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Pathetic Earthlings

« on: January 14, 2008, 08:16:05 PM »

There is a proposal to screen welfare applicants for narcotics in California, the way I see it is that most people in many jobs must be screened for drugs if they want to get a job and keep it and continue getting their check. I see no difference in screening those that get government welfare if they want to keep getting their check. Interestingly this proposal is put forth by a teen who is disabled due to his mothers drug use while she was pregnant. The proposal has been dubbed RJ's Law.

http://www.mydesert.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080112/NEWS01/801120335/1026/news12

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 11:00:57 AM »

alot of people are screaming bloody murder abuot this but I just don't see the big deal.  don't be on welfare if you don't want this kind of treatment. 
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 11:26:44 AM »

I say sure, go for it.  Then again, I think just how much it will cost to routinely drug test every person on welfare.  Seems like a huge expense, doesn't it?

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Jay the Magnificent
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 04:03:00 PM »

why stop there....install one of those breath start thingys on cars. if people are going to use the public road ways.....

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 04:48:10 PM »

beggars can't be choosers
Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 07:14:27 PM »

It's an interesting idea.

Welfare from the government is not a right, so requiring screening for drug problems would be reasonable -- you always have the right not to apply for welfare, after all, and if you have a meth problem, then funneling more money into your life to keep you from hitting bottom isn't really helping you -- you should be referred for treatment (which doesn't work well, but then again nothing does).
BTM

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 12:04:04 AM »

Who wants to bet the ACLU will fight this? 

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 07:04:23 AM »

Test 'em. I mean,after all,the US Military tested LSD on servicemen in the 50's...and they got paychecks from Uncle Sam... Lookingup

Seriously...testing them for drug use won't solve the problem of welfare. For those who want help-it wouldn't be a problem. For those who are milking the system...it will just cause them to turn to major crime for income...what's the answer...beats me...I hope they have a back up plan to deal with those that fail the test...because that will cause a whole NEW problem.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 10:07:07 AM »

unlike brother RCmerchant I am NOT in favor of testing drugs ON them
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 10:25:33 AM »

Test 'em. I mean,after all,the US Military tested LSD on servicemen in the 50's...and they got paychecks from Uncle Sam... Lookingup

Yeah, and the CIA also used the MK-ULTRA program to test LSD on their own scientists and in some cases assassinated the scientists after the testing.  Then, they denied everything until a few years back.   Buggedout

Sorry, didn't mean to thread jack. 

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2008, 10:48:58 AM »

It's an interesting idea.

Welfare from the government is not a right, so requiring screening for drug problems would be reasonable -- you always have the right not to apply for welfare, after all, and if you have a meth problem, then funneling more money into your life to keep you from hitting bottom isn't really helping you -- you should be referred for treatment (which doesn't work well, but then again nothing does).

Amen ... welfare is not a right, but many in this country believe it is. I'm all for helping the elderly and infirm but not able bodied people that will not help themselves. I'll stop now before I get on a tear.

Killer Bees
Newly Appointed Government Employee and

Never give up on love

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2008, 12:48:56 AM »

why stop there....install one of those breath start thingys on cars. if people are going to use the public road ways.....

We don't have drug testing in jobs yet, I can't imagine the uproar if they tried it here.  But they do police background checks on you if you want to work for the govt or in the finance industry.

We have random breath tests on the roads, and they've recently introduced random drug testing on the roads as well.  There is a zero tolerance policy with this.  You lose your license on the spot and you get fined.  I think when you're driving a car, it's a great idea, but they should have zero tolerance for alcohol as well.

As for the welfare thing.  I'm not sure about this one.  It would involve a lot of expense and do they do random home visits or what?  Sounds like it would be hard to police.

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Bring back what once was mine
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
Bring back what once was mine
What once was mine.......
Fishasaurus
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2008, 02:39:09 PM »

There's a potential contradiction here -- some people are on disability for chemical dependency.  So they have to kee dropping dirty to KEEP their incomes.

It takes a child to raze a village. -- Jello Biafra
Inyarear
Bad Movie Lover

Slimo! Slimo! Slimo!

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2008, 11:06:56 PM »

You know, this proposal sounds kind of familiar...

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/87/87kdebate.phtml

Pat Schroeder: Gentlemen, please.. please, gentlemen. Let's now turn to Pete Dupont. Pete, you've been running on what you call "Damn Good Ideas", like privatizing Social Security. Um.. they didn't exactly catch on in Iowa. How exactly are the people of New Hampshire responding to your idea that teenagers should be tested for drugs before they can get a driver's license?

Pete Dupont: Well, they love it, Pat, they do. They understand that it's a damn good idea to link the privilege of driving with being drug-free. In fact, I've decided to expand the idea to Social Security. Now, I say tell our senior citizens, "You do drugs, you don't get your Social Security check." I mean, it's just that simple.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2008, 09:55:12 AM »

lol pretty much all senior citizens are on drugs.  and the ones who aren't aren't any better at driving than the ones who are zonked out on pills
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Bill purposed - Should the folks on Walfare be drug tested? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.