Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:31:49 PM
714380 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Val Lewton: The Man in the Shadows « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Val Lewton: The Man in the Shadows  (Read 4683 times)
threnody
Bad Movie Lover

Meow

« on: January 15, 2008, 08:31:10 PM »

Did anyone stay up last night to watch the documentary and his movies on TCM?

I got through Cat People, I Walked with a Zombie, The Leopard Man, The Seventh Victim, The Curse of the Cat People and The Body Snatcher before I passed out. The documentary was pretty impressive, narrated by Martin Scorsese.

They also played Isle Of The Dead, Bedlam, Youth Runs Wild and Mademoiselle Fifi. I'm sad to say that I missed them.

My favorite was The Body Snatcher, including Bela Lugosi, Boris Karloff and Henry Daniell. I was amazed by I Walked with a Zombie as well. The cornfield scene was so creepy! As a bonus, I discovered the amazing Tom Conway, huzzah.

"To be bitter is to attribute intent and personality to the formless, infinite, unchanging and unchangeable void. We drift on a chartless, resistless sea. Let us sing when we can, and forget the rest..."
-H.P. Lovecraft
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 08:56:53 PM »

Val Lewton was dam amazing. He took very low budgets...comparable to Monogram Studios...and worked miracles! My favorites...hmmm...
.the BODY SNATCHERS-Most defintly! The ending...well...I won't give it away-is a real jolt!
.Very underated...but shouldn't be...the LEOPARD MAN!!! More people really need to see this one...the blood seeping under the door...ugh...cool...
.BEDLAM-I dunno why...but this isn't as well liked as most. I think Boris is great in this...totally heartless and evil. No 'Misunderstood Doctor gone Mad" here! He's just E-V-I-L!

Oh...Welcome to the board!  Smile

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
threnody
Bad Movie Lover

Meow

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 01:29:27 AM »

Amazing, indeed. He successfully combines terror and beauty! Sadly I haven't seen Bedlam yet, but I look forward to it.

Thanks! :)

"To be bitter is to attribute intent and personality to the formless, infinite, unchanging and unchangeable void. We drift on a chartless, resistless sea. Let us sing when we can, and forget the rest..."
-H.P. Lovecraft
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 08:32:49 PM »

Another little piece of B-movie trivia...(you might already know this) is that in BEDLAM, one of the inmates is painted silver for some kinda play that Boris makes them perform ...anyway,the young man in the silver paint dies on stage...that man is actor Robert Clarke! -in one of his first parts! You may remember him in the ASTOUNDING SHE CREATURE and as the HIDEOUS SUN DEMON! Just more junk to clog your brain...

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
CheezeFlixz
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 11:12:11 PM »

I caught parts of this marathon, the other night I hope that they run it again with all the movies. I'd like to see the complete showing.

Pilgermann

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 11:49:06 PM »

God I wish I got TCM.  I have the On Demand stuff, and they have a handful of interesting things on there at any given time, but the channel seems like a great one.

I still haven't seen any Val Lewton produced films, and I've been meaning to pick up the box set.  I also want to check out some Jacques Tourneur stuff like Night of the Demon.

threnody
Bad Movie Lover

Meow

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 12:35:18 AM »

Another little piece of B-movie trivia...(you might already know this) is that in BEDLAM, one of the inmates is painted silver for some kinda play that Boris makes them perform ...anyway,the young man in the silver paint dies on stage...that man is actor Robert Clarke! -in one of his first parts! You may remember him in the ASTOUNDING SHE CREATURE and as the HIDEOUS SUN DEMON! Just more junk to clog your brain...

Thanks for the info! I enjoy this so-called junk, bwaha!

I haven't seen those two films, but I'm going to look into them ASAP.

-H.P. Lovecraft
peter johnson

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 12:37:48 AM »

I've said it before here, but it bears repeating:
"Curse of The Cat People" is one of the most beautiful and elegant examples of black-and-white photography in a film ever made, for any budget.  Try to see a good copy of it on a very good screen/setup.  Watch the light and shadow over the sparkling snow & the deep shadows of the stairwell in the crazy woman's house . . . I could go on and on, and have before.  I never get tired of this one.  It's like someone shot it through gossamer in places.  The appearances of the ghost are graceful and eerie at the same time -- and notice how she gradually gets more sequins to reflect the light as the child gives her power.  
People are downright amazed when I show them this one & tell them what to watch for, re. the sweeping shadows over the snow, etc.  It's like being in a hallucination at times, which is what Lewton was going for, no doubt.
peter johnson/denny crane

I have no idea what this means.
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 01:17:31 AM »

RKO who made many of the Val Lewton film released many truly great low budget films, it really saddens me to think that this once great studio was mismanaged into bankruptcy and the circus that followed regarding it's library. They'll are still 100's of great RKO pictures that have not been released in DVD and set rotting on a shelf somewhere. I don't believe there is any one single owner of the the original library. Val Lewton made some really great films on a shoestring, they just don't have film makers like that anymore, nothing left to the imagination, no mystery, no class and no style compared the the classics of the golden era.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Val Lewton: The Man in the Shadows « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.