Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:50:44 PM
714377 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Tideland (2005) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Tideland (2005)  (Read 5617 times)
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« on: January 15, 2008, 09:20:14 PM »

I finally worked myself up to view Terry Gilliam's Tideland today. Wow. I can see why people hate it. I can see why people love it. The story, for those unfamiliar with the movie, involves Jeliza Rose (played by Jodelle Ferland in an absolutely amazing performance), a roughly ten-year-old girl whose parents are both drug addicts. When her mother dies, she and her father flee to his mother's abandoned farm house out in the middle of a prairie. He almost immediately overdoses, and Jeliza is left on her own, although it takes her a while to figure out he's dead. She meets a scary lady and her retarded brother and adopts them as friends, along with her four doll heads (which represent different aspects of her personality). The movie is not exactly a standard narrative, but it is very engrossing (and at times very gross). It is, as is typical of Gilliam films, beautiful to look at, though it doesn't really look like most of his other films, style-wise. He is featured in a disclaimer before the movie stating that the movie celebrates the resiliency of children and needs to be viewed through innocent eyes. The story is a very innocent one, though it is also extremely brutal. The ratings description says, "Rated R for bizarre and disturbing content, including drug use, sexuality, and gruesome situations -- all involving a child, and for some language." That pretty well sums it up, along with the blurb on the front cover from New York Magazine: "A decidedly compelling nightmare."

Did I enjoy the film? "Enjoy" might not be the proper word. I found it to be engrossing, moving and powerful. I teared up a bit at the end, though I think that was for the whole story more than the ending. My wife came into the room as the movie was ending, and I literally had to shake my head to bring myself out of the story's world and back to reality. That is a mark of a well-told tale.

Will I watch it again? Not unless I talk someone else into seeing it with me. It is a very difficult film to watch, but I would have to say it succeeds at what it sets out to do: provoke thought. I still can't quite formulate a full opinion that is as simple as "it's a good movie" or "it's a bad movie." It is a powerful movie, and I'm glad I watched it. It is not one I will easily forget.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
threnody
Bad Movie Lover

Meow

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 01:36:46 AM »

I've never even heard of this film.

It sounds like something I would have to watch at the right time.

"To be bitter is to attribute intent and personality to the formless, infinite, unchanging and unchangeable void. We drift on a chartless, resistless sea. Let us sing when we can, and forget the rest..."
-H.P. Lovecraft
Oldskool138
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 07:37:06 AM »

I bought this movie (used) and thought it was a misunderstood film when I found out it basically didn't get released in theaters.  I like most of Gilliam's films and I thought I'd like this one.

Boy, was I wrong.

I hated this movie.  When it's not being bizarre (don't get me wrong, I like bizarre), it's dealing with a bunch of uncomfortable issues.  I know what Gilliam was trying to do...Showing how kids deal with the world around them when it's a mean and horrible place...but this film rubbed me the wrong way.  It takes a lot for a movie to do that.

I chucked it in the garbage after I finished watching it.   Thumbdown

He learned almost too late that man is a feeling creature... and because of it, the greatest in the universe........
-Dr. Paul Nelson (Peter Graves)

That gum you like is going to come back in style.
-The Man from Another Place
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 08:07:55 AM »

I've never even heard of this film.

It sounds like something I would have to watch at the right time.

I'm not sure I picked the right time for me to watch it: I had just gotten back from setting up the sound system for a funeral (which I have to go to in a little while). I think the only thing that shielded me at all was that I had watched nine episodes of Monty Python's Flying Circus earlier in the day. As I said, it's not an easy movie, and I can't say I'd recommend it, at least not unless I knew a person's tastes very well. I can fully understand Oldskool138's reaction, and others on this board have posted similar sentiments. It took me about three months after I'd gotten the movie to work up to watching it. It'll probably be about ten years before I've forgotten enough of it to think about watching it again, but I'm pretty sure it will stay with me somewhere for that time.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
Pilgermann

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 04:33:03 PM »

I loved Tideland.  I think it's one of the best films that Gilliam's made, and it's unfortunate that it had such a horribly limited theatrical run.  I was lucky enough to see it in a theater and it looks beautiful on the big screen.

I had read the book sometime beforehand, so I knew what to expect, but some scenes were still a bit uncomfortable to watch (the "taxidermy" sequence was one I was dreading, and boy did it succeed!).  I think it's one of the boldest films that Terry Gilliam has made, and in some ways it's the most realistic, but maybe that's where the discomfort lies.

I'd encourage anyone interested to watch, but I know that it's a devisive film.  I think it'll age well, though.

Torgo

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 05:48:06 PM »

Being a huge Gilliam fan I've been wanting to check this one out as it seemed to really polarize people.

I've read that there was some aspect ratio problem on the Region 1 DVD in which it was shown in a 1.78:1 ratio  instead of the original 2.40:1 ratio so that's why I had held off renting it as I've heard it's cropped pretty bad on the Region 1 DVD.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Pilgermann

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 06:30:15 PM »

Being a huge Gilliam fan I've been wanting to check this one out as it seemed to really polarize people.

I've read that there was some aspect ratio problem on the Region 1 DVD in which it was shown in a 1.78:1 ratio  instead of the original 2.40:1 ratio so that's why I had held off renting it as I've heard it's cropped pretty bad on the Region 1 DVD.

Nearly every DVD of it is cropped (even the UK one), except maybe the German DVD.  Here's a comparison of the US and UK DVD images compared to the theatrical presentation:

http://www.smart.co.uk/dreams/tidecrop.htm

Now here's a screen shot of the US DVD:

http://img3.imagebanana.com/img/0da1ecaa/Bild5.jpg

Compare it to the same still from the German DVD:

http://img3.imagebanana.com/img/ix3v8yu/Bild5.jpg

I have the US DVD, and I'm happy with it even though it's cropped.  If I had a high definition setup, I'd order the blu-ray disc from Germany.

Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 07:21:44 PM »

I really liked Tideland, although I don't think I would say it's one of Gilliam's stronger works. It's certainly one of his most personal, though. I would like to see what he could do with more independent financing, even though his clashes with studios always do seem to add an extra spark to his work.

I think he had some problems making the digital photography work completely in his favor, but maybe I've been spoiled by the beautifully lush camerawork he's put on film over the years.

My little brother said that he found an extra dimension of creepiness was added to the film by Terry Gilliam's intro.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Pilgermann

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 08:41:17 PM »

I think he had some problems making the digital photography work completely in his favor, but maybe I've been spoiled by the beautifully lush camerawork he's put on film over the years.

Are you referring to the special effects scenes?  The film was shot on 35mm.

By the way, his next film should be a bit more high-spirited.  The Imagniarium of Doctor Parnassus is being filmed right now.  The cast features Heath Ledger, Tom Waits, and Christopher Plummer, and some other folks, and it's written by Gilliam and Charles McKeown (they wrote Brazil and The Adventures of Baron Munchausen together).  Here're some behind the scenes pictures:

http://s215.photobucket.com/albums/cc73/Elenwee/Imaginarium%20of%20Dr%20Parnassus/

Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 10:58:27 PM »

Are you referring to the special effects scenes?  The film was shot on 35mm.

My mistake then. I was referring to the whole "handheld" vibe of the film, which highlighted the insular world of the girl, but I didn't always enjoy. It kind of reminds me of some of David Lynch's Inland Empire.

I found it kind of amusing that I saw this film very soon after Silent Hill, in which the girl played the Alessa character.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Pilgermann

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2008, 11:46:26 PM »

My mistake then. I was referring to the whole "handheld" vibe of the film, which highlighted the insular world of the girl, but I didn't always enjoy. It kind of reminds me of some of David Lynch's Inland Empire.

I found it kind of amusing that I saw this film very soon after Silent Hill, in which the girl played the Alessa character.

Oh, and sorry if my response read like I was being a know-it-all.

The little girl, Jodelle Ferland seems very talented and probably ought to get more recognition.  I looked her up on IMDB and she's had a part in TWO Uwe Boll films: Bloodrayne 2 and Seed.  ACK!  There are also some creepy posts on her IMDB message board.

threnody
Bad Movie Lover

Meow

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2008, 01:29:54 PM »

This was on television a couple nights ago and it felt like fate, so I watched it.

I was mentally prepared coming into it, so it didn't disturb me as much as I thought it would. Though I did not see that whole body preservation thing coming. I found it morbidly funny that Jeliza-Rose was helping her dad prepare his heroin, as sad as it actually was. "Daddy's just going on a vacation!" lol

I did end up enjoying the film overall. I'm so glad I watched it. I would never purchase it, but it was really good to see just that once. Funny, I still felt engaged in it hours after I stopped watching the film. It made me quite thoughtful.

I thought the ending was tragic, though. It might have given the impression of uncertainty, but we all know she's headed down a very hard path. Magnificent performance given by the little girl. I was impressed.

"To be bitter is to attribute intent and personality to the formless, infinite, unchanging and unchangeable void. We drift on a chartless, resistless sea. Let us sing when we can, and forget the rest..."
-H.P. Lovecraft
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Tideland (2005) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.