Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:45:44 AM
713335 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  CLOVERFEILD « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Author Topic: CLOVERFEILD  (Read 59599 times)
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2008, 07:31:27 PM »

Thanx Shadow!  What part of the screen should I be looking for the falling object?  I imagine that clip will be removed sooner or later from YouTube.

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Mr_Vindictive
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #61 on: January 26, 2008, 07:49:33 PM »

Darksider,

Sort of over to the right, kind of near the yacht.  It's slightly to the left of the yacht.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #62 on: January 26, 2008, 07:56:37 PM »

Thanx Skaboi, I think I can almost make something out there.  I'd have to see it when it gets out on DVD. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2008, 04:20:40 AM »

Wanna watch Cloverfield online?
If so, check out the links below.

It's obviously been shot by a person who brought a camera into the theater but unlike most theater/cam jobs, the quality is actually pretty good.   Thumbup
And instead of having to watch between 3-5 seperate parts, this one is just one part.  You can watch the entire movie in one shot.

EDITED BY ANDREW:  Sorry, no linking to copyright infringing content.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 09:09:49 AM by Andrew » Logged
nada
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2008, 06:18:53 AM »

It's obviously been shot by a person who brought a camera i

It would be great if the pirated camera version somehow compensated for the movies jerkiness TeddyR
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #65 on: January 27, 2008, 10:29:31 AM »

Andrew,

I wondered if I had stepped over the line by posting that link.
Now I know better.

Won't happen again.  I promise.
Cross my heart and hope to die.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 05:54:52 AM by Ash » Logged
Aiden
« Reply #66 on: January 29, 2008, 05:47:42 PM »

Okay, I'm p**sed now, I saw Cloverfeild, must have been the best movie I have ever seen. Now I have been getting a whole bunch of reviews like "The movie made no sence" and "What is the monster?" and "Why is the monster attacking things?" and so forth. Well, here is the lowdown of it.

First off, the movie is not supposed to have a plot, a Goodbye party turns disasterous  when a giant aquatic monster begins attacking New York (New York is like "Monster Central").
Secondly, the movie isn't about figuring anything out, all you need to know is that there is a giant monster running around, releasing it's counter-bodies, and destroying things. (Spoiler Warning!) He even says at the end "If you are watching this, you probably know more about it than I do"
Thirdly, The whole "Home camera" idea was only to give the viewer a first person experience of such a tragedic thing like this. The flashback wasn't a flashback, the movie is playing the tape after all of this happened, and the cuts to when Rob was with his chick was just parts that the tape already had recorded earlier, they just recorded over it.
(HERE IS THE BIG ONE!! Oh noes!) Fourthly and finally, the movie is supposed to make you think "What would I do if this all actually happened to me?" and "Oh my god, what if this actually happened?". The producers want you to walk out of the theatre or put the DVD back in it's case while thinking "Holy s**t, I would probably run for my life.." or something like that.

So don't start asking stupid questions, the movie was the best I've seen, and if you watch it again on DVD, and remember what i have said here, it will turn out better for you.

(SPOILER) P.S. For those of you who did like the movie but didn't see this, on the last recording of Rob and his girl, look to the left of the Yacht in the background, and if you can, put the DVD on your computer and play it backwards, a whisper in reverse says "It's still alive".

Thanks -Aiden
Killer Bees
Newly Appointed Government Employee and

Never give up on love

« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2008, 07:21:05 PM »

Good point, Aiden.

On another board that I sometimes visit ( I stopped going regularly because they are all such whiney sissies), one poster complained bitterly about how bad the movie was and complained about all the things that Aiden mentioned.

I read the post and thought, "belt up, you idiot"   BounceGiggle

The movie is what it is.  If you try to make it something it's not, it's going to disappoint.

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Bring back what once was mine
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
Bring back what once was mine
What once was mine.......
akiratubo

« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2008, 07:33:03 PM »

I have no issue with the giant monster bits, but I didn't like or care about Rob or the girl he nailed once, dumped, then risked his life to save.  The little crawlies didn't do much for me, either.  That scene was pretty much rote.  They're walking around in the dark.  They hear something.  They turn on the night vision to suddenly reveal -- critters scuttling all over the walls and ceiling, eeek!  (Been seeing that same scene since 1986, if not earlier.)  The explodey bit was just too silly for me, as well.  It would have worked better had she just suddenly bled out.

IMHO, Cloverfield isn't anywhere near great, but it is worth seeing at least once.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
dean

« Reply #69 on: January 30, 2008, 03:08:06 AM »

I have no issue with the giant monster bits, but I didn't like or care about Rob or the girl he nailed once, dumped, then risked his life to save.  The little crawlies didn't do much for me, either.  That scene was pretty much rote.  They're walking around in the dark.  They hear something.  They turn on the night vision to suddenly reveal -- critters scuttling all over the walls and ceiling, eeek!  (Been seeing that same scene since 1986, if not earlier.)  The explodey bit was just too silly for me, as well.  It would have worked better had she just suddenly bled out.

IMHO, Cloverfield isn't anywhere near great, but it is worth seeing at least once.

I almost agree with the crawlie things, but I enjoyed the fact that there was another dimension to this monster than just 'arrgh, monster smash!'  Gives people more reason to not just cower in the subway all night.

Also as for the girl thing, they mentioned at the party that he was obsessed with her, or in their words, "In love with her" since he was 12, or something like that, so it makes sense that he chases her, especially if she rings crying, begging on the phone to be rescued.  Sure it's still more common sense to run away like all hell.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Dr. Whom

Cthulhu for president! Why choose the lesser evil?

« Reply #70 on: February 09, 2008, 03:58:22 AM »

Spoiler-ish

I'v just seen it, and I liked it a lot. Perhaps not the best monster movie ever, but still a very refreshing take on a well known genre. There has been lots of criticism about the 'realism' of the camera work. People, this is a movie in which a creature tears the head of the Statue of Liberty clean off. One should make some allowances. That being said, I would like one of those camera's. It goes on for hours on end and for all we know, it might have been nuked when they found it.

What I liked about it, is that is goes against the grain of the classical blockbuster monster movie: it has no explanation, no reassuring happy end, no love interest in the classical sense, no authority figures in charge, no Will Smith saving the world, very little of the comic relief character (well Hud a bit). What you do get is chaos, destruction and beautiful people getting eaten. They took a major risk with the characters, because none of them is your traditional hero, or is even very likable. (What Hud saw in Marlena is beyond me, and Rob is just on a guilt trip, getting everyone killed)

As for the atmosphere, the WTF review mentioned Lovecraft, and there is a certain Lovecraft touch to the atmosphere: mankind is suddenly confronted with unspeakable monsters from beyond time, and is utterly powerless to stop them. You don't know what it is or why, only that it is terrible and it is out to get you.

It has its weaknesses. I can see why they needed the small critters in the story, but they lacked bite (literally). However the final result of their bite was nicely done (is that a hat tip to the Beast of 20,000 fathoms)

Also, the final scene might have been cut. Again, you have the parallelism with the last scene on the tape, so I see why they did it. These repeated endings still bug me.

The only thing I'm worried about now is that we may get a spate of shaky cam movies.

"Once you get past a certain threshold, everyone's problems are the same: fortifying your island and hiding the heat signature from your fusion reactor."

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.
Kooshmeister
The King of Koosh!
Bad Movie Lover

Must have caffeine...

« Reply #71 on: February 09, 2008, 03:49:08 PM »

It has its weaknesses. I can see why they needed the small critters in the story, but they lacked bite (literally). However the final result of their bite was nicely done (is that a hat tip to the Beast of 20,000 fathoms)

More like a nod to Godzilla 1985's mutated sea louse.  Smile
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #72 on: February 10, 2008, 10:04:44 PM »

Just saw it.  Thoughts:

*Overall, a pretty good popcorn-type thrill ride movie.  I enjoyed it in the theater on a visceral level but its not going on any of my "best of" lists.

*I'm with everyone who was complaining about the length of the party scene.  For twenty minutes I thought I had walked into some independent film whiny hipster yuppie drama by mistake.  Character depth is great, but not in a giant monster eating Manhattan movie.  When the government found the tape, they would've fast forwarded through the character development segments to get to the monster footage; why couldn't the theater audience be extended the same courtesy?

*I'm surprised so many people are so cynical about the romance angle.  I thought this board was filled with incurable romantics?  Anyway, while I'm watching the Statue of Liberty's head rolling down 5th Avenue, I have no problem suspending disbelief in regards to a guy trying to rescue an ex-lover he's carrying a torch for from a disaster. 

*I noticed a little flash in the ocean in the final scene.  I wondered a bit, but it didn't add anything to the film.  Seems inserted precisely to create threads on Internet message boards.

*Terrible title.  THE BEAST THAT RATTLED THE CAMCORDER wouls have been a better choice.

3.5 out of 5 slimes.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Dr. Whom

Cthulhu for president! Why choose the lesser evil?

« Reply #73 on: February 11, 2008, 05:14:07 PM »

I agree on the length of the party scene. After a while I was like 'we want to see the monster'. It is a bit like the pathetic attempt in the first Jurassic Park to create an air of mystery, when we all knew that the dinosaurs were on the loose. Still, as a monster movie, it is better than most.

"Once you get past a certain threshold, everyone's problems are the same: fortifying your island and hiding the heat signature from your fusion reactor."

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #74 on: February 11, 2008, 07:25:57 PM »

One thing I forgot to mention.  I didn't see anyone else comment on the similarity between the movie's panic footage and the World Trade Center disaster.  There was a scene where a building collapses, a cloud of dust and debris comes rolling down the avenue, and Hud & company duck into store just before the cloud reaches them.  I swear this is a direct quote of some of the live newsreel footage from 9/11.  Not sure if this angle affects my opinion of the movie one way or another, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  CLOVERFEILD « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.