Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:25:58 PM
713366 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  DOOMSDAY (2008) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: DOOMSDAY (2008)  (Read 4965 times)
soylentgreen
Bad Movie Lover

« on: January 17, 2008, 03:56:48 PM »

Anyone else been keeping an eye out for this thing?

It's an obvious blend of so many genre standards, it's hard to believe that it's not really a conscious effort.  From just the trailer you can see healthy dollops of 28 DAYS/WEEKS LATER,  ROAD WARRIOR, LAND OF THE DEAD...even some BRONX WARRIORS!

Small | Large

As a fan of pretty much every film they've thrown in some element of, it'll be hard to resist taking it in on a nice big screen.  I mean look at the line-up.  The incredible Rhona Mitra...genre fixture Malcom McDowell...trap-door spider actor Bob Hoskins...'that guy' Alexander Siddig...awesome piped Sean Pertwee.

Amazingly, the Brits are starting to overtake us Yanks in "flicks apocalyptical".  I don't mind, of course.  I'll take it any way I can get it.

That's my driver's license picture....I hate that picture!"
Pilgermann
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 10:18:36 PM »

That looks like a lot of fun!

Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 11:18:20 PM »

Ah, so this is the new Neil Marshall movie.  Kinda strange going from werewolves to cave creatures to this, but I guess versatility is good.  Looks decent, actually.

Cheers
Hammock Rider

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 11:23:46 AM »

Saw it this weekend and I have to say it delivered. It's a pretty simple plot that's been done many times before but it's done with style and a nod to plenty of the great action movies including Road Warrior and Escape from New York. Rhona Mitra does her best Snake Plissken. She looks the part but IMO doesn't quite attain that iconic level of badassery until the final scene, where she blew me away. There's lots of good pointless violence and some pure nuttiness, including a scene where a bunch of obese Scotsman wearing dirty wife beater t-shirts and kilts dance the can-can on a stage while the rest of the bad guys are getting ready to deep fry and eat one of the cannon fodder. It might sound trite but this one throws in everything but the kitchen sink.I felt I truly got my money's worth and then some.

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
Oldskool138
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 03:37:19 PM »

I was disappointed.  I knew what Marshall was going for and, yes, he delivered...If you're going to do a homage film, try to turn some conventions on their head.  You know, switch things up a bit.  This was basically a carbon copy of three different films.  Some parts were enjoyable but compared to his other movies this one fell short, IMO.

Now that his vanity pic is out of the way he can get back to making quality horror and/or action type movies.

He learned almost too late that man is a feeling creature... and because of it, the greatest in the universe........
-Dr. Paul Nelson (Peter Graves)

That gum you like is going to come back in style.
-The Man from Another Place
Dave M
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 03:53:54 PM »

Weird, I was sure that was Kate Beckingsdale in the trailer.
Neville

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 05:19:43 PM »

From the guy who made The Descent? Mad Max and Escape from New York put together? Rhona Mitra in a tank top? Malcolm McDowell?

(Salivates)

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 04:37:02 PM »

I really enjoyed this one. As fan of post-apocalyptic films like Road Warrior this one just had everything. Car Chase, Over the top villian, hardcore main charater (Nice to see a little of a change up as its a women). Great stuff.

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

Torgo

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 10:10:23 PM »

I'm going to try to see Doomsday this upcoming weekend.

It's gotten absolutely trashed by critics but I'm always a sucker for cheesy post-apocalyptic flicks.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  DOOMSDAY (2008) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.