Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 01:01:15 AM
714146 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7732 Members
Latest Member: Larryfiste
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Monthly DVD Giveaway « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Monthly DVD Giveaway  (Read 13228 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« on: January 18, 2008, 08:39:07 PM »

Something else new that I have been working on implementing for a while:  a monthly DVD giveaway.  This month, the prize is "Clash of the Titans" on DVD.  All you have to do is subscribe to the site's email notification service.  Here is the page for January's giveaway:

http://www.badmovies.org/sideshows/contests/contest_200801.html

I like running the movie giveaways, so this will become a regular monthly event.  "Clash of the Titans" is just a (Ray Harryhausen love) start, but I already have the DVDs (yep, more than one) for next month on hand.

Not going to be selling people's email addresses or any of that.  For the first contest, I would like to get more subscribers to the site's update notification service.  Next month, the entry requirements are a little different, but still easy.

PS:  Sorry to folks like Dean, Neville, Trevor, and others who are not in the US or Canada.  The reason for the restriction is pretty much cost of mailing and also DVD compatibility headaches.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 08:41:34 PM by Andrew » Logged

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 12:51:22 PM »

Signed up.  Can't complain about something for free.  And badmovies.org is definitely not spam.

Just curious, Andrew, what notifications come?  Just notices of new posted reviews? 

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Andrew
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 03:46:02 PM »

Just curious, Andrew, what notifications come?  Just notices of new posted reviews? 

Whatever is placed in the site's RSS Feed.  Most of the time, that is short blurbs about new reviews or articles here and on some of the other b-movie sites.  After I post the updates, Feedburner notices and sends an email with the new stuff.

For example, I updated the feed yesterday and a little while later this email was automatically sent:

Badmovies.org Reviews "Shockwave" aka "AI Assault"

Posted: 18 Jan 2008 07:00 PM CST
Military robots get loose on a tropical island and Special Forces soldiers are sent in to deactivate the units. As usual, the most effective member of the anti-robot strike force is a civilian. Part of the "Original Sin" SciFi original movies roundtable.

The Tomb of Anubis squashes "Ice Spiders"

Posted: 18 Jan 2008 12:45 AM CST
Anubis backhands this Sci-Fi Channel Original abomination starring three people from Melrose Place fighting giant CGI spiders with a serious case of 'roid rage.

RSS is a way to keep track of updates on sites you visit often.  People can also subscribe to RSS via their web browsers (Firefox and IE 7.0) and stuff like Google Feedcatcher and My Yahoo.  In the case of the DVD giveaway, I just need people signed up via email - otherwise I cannot pick a winner and contact them.

I created a page on the site that takes the entire RSS Feed and displays it as a webpage:

http://www.badmovies.org/updates.html
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 09:14:05 AM by Andrew » Logged

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Pilgermann

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 09:37:49 PM »

I signed up.  This should be a fun addition to an already great site, and it'll be cool to get updates about reviews from badmovies and other sites.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 08:29:17 AM »

I'm IN LIKE FLINT!  Yippy skippy!  Thumbup

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 12:24:08 PM »

On board, guess I never knew the site had a email notification service for updates.

316zombie
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 03:48:51 PM »

i'm in!
BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 09:01:13 PM »

Just signed up  Thumbup

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

Patient7

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2008, 04:17:49 PM »

Okay,  before I jump in I want to say that I absolutely love the whole free DVD concept.  Unless people don't sign up this is basically a win for everybody.  However, I don't like the whole, "over 18" rule.  I understand that it's probably a law or something but to those who love bad movies and aren't 18, it just doesn't work out.

(yes, I do realize that there was little to no reason for this post, but there wasn't one for Blood Diner either and lets face it, that movie wasn't very good.  But funny, I'll give it that.)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 08:34:39 PM by Patient7 » Logged

Barbeque sauce tastes good on EVERYTHING, even salad.

Yes, salad.
316zombie
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2008, 05:06:45 PM »

tell the younguns to have their parents register here and enter the contest for them!!!! i'm entering for my niece,who is 8,she dearly wants this movie!
Andrew
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2008, 08:18:37 PM »

However, I don't like the whole, "over 18" rule.  I understand that it's probably a law or something but to those who love bad movies and aren't 18, it just doesn't work out.

I'm a little stuck on that, due to possible legal pitfalls.  316Zombie's suggestion is a good one.  There is no reason a parent cannot be cognizant for a minor.  "Clash of the Titans" should be considered pretty much harmless by most.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2008, 01:26:50 AM »

However, I don't like the whole, "over 18" rule.  I understand that it's probably a law or something but to those who love bad movies and aren't 18, it just doesn't work out.   

Enjoy your youth, it will be gone soon enough... trust me on this one.

Patient7

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2008, 08:38:34 PM »

I'm a little stuck on that, due to possible legal pitfalls.  316Zombie's suggestion is a good one.  There is no reason a parent cannot be cognizant for a minor.  "Clash of the Titans" should be considered pretty much harmless by most.

I completley understand the many pitfalls that can result from giving free stuff to minors, I am more against those pitfalls, because if a kid is found with drugs he's irresponsible, if they are in a willing affair with an adult, they were taken advantage of.

p.s. I am NOT the kid with drugs allright.
p.p.s.  I mean like 17 year old, not 12.

Yes, salad.
316zombie
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2008, 05:39:18 PM »

i get where you're coming from,but the legal age is still 18 in this country,and we all have to protect ourselves,i think you understand that.if you are the consenting minor you mentioned( Wink),ask your consenting adult to enter,we all have the same chance!and,btw,the same goes for those of us over 18,there are many giveaways i am barred from entering,you know?
Patient7

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2008, 05:57:20 PM »

Yeah I know what you mean... haha... but not only am I not the mentioned drug addict (that's an example of some people I've never even heard of) but I am also not a 17 year old in a relationship with a legal adult, allright, I don't want any wierd comments because of that post...   or this for that matter.

Yes, salad.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Monthly DVD Giveaway « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.